IGNORED

High Score Competition (April: Starfort)

arcadeshopper

- 57,460 on MESSUI 240 (NTSC TI99) running on Windows 10 (full screen), using a custom arcade joystick (Sanwa JLW-TM-8 stick / Seimitsu buttons with Zero Delay encoder).

- 70,960 on real iron (PAL TI99), using the ArcadeR joystick (Sanwa clone stick and buttons).

Both with highest level selection.

On Windows, I've noticed that sometimes the joystick was still moving in the previous direction after you changed it. Not sure if it's the Zero Delay encoder. I'll try with the Daemonbite usb/db9 adapter and on MiSTer.

20230211_173301.jpg

20230211_173233.jpg

20230211_182610.jpg

20230211_182559.jpg

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, tmop69 said:

- 57,460 on MESSUI 240 (NTSC TI99) running on Windows 10 (full screen), using a custom arcade joystick (Sanwa JLW-TM-8 stick / Seimitsu buttons with Zero Delay encoder).

- 70,960 on real iron (PAL TI99), using the ArcadeR joystick (Sanwa clone stick and buttons).

Both with highest level selection.

20230211_182610.jpg

AWESOME!! 😲 I'm lucky to get 12,000, still trying to figure things out. I guess I need to quit playing the 'carrot' level LOL.. Nice job 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

- 108,350 on MiSTer TI99 core (last official version, NTSC) with custom arcade joystick (Industrial Lorenzo Magnetic stick with 4 ways setup / Seimitsu buttons) with Daemonbite usb/db9 encoder. I've used the highest level selection.

The fact that I've noticed yesterday, that sometimes the hero continues to move in the previous direction after you changed it, seems to be like in the arcade version. Probably the Dig Dug hero has to finish the movement frames before responding to a direction chance.

The IL magnetic joystick has a short travel and it is mounted with a hard spring tension. In addition with the 4 ways setup, it could have helped in beating the 100K score. 🙂 

20230212_163255.jpg

20230212_163225.jpg

• Like 5

10 hours ago, ti99iuc said:

@tmop69, are you playing an hacked version maybe :rolling: ahahah Lol

Yes and I've surely downloaded it from ti99iuc site...  🤣  Joking apart, in 80s I had DigDug on a tape to run with XB and lateral 32K and I do not remember such behaviour in movements. But I was using the original TI joysticks, so they were probably hiding this. 😉

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, tmop69 said:

So, nobody is playing Dig Dug? 😞 

It is usually rather quiet during the month.  In terms of the competition, given my previous experiences playing the game, I have no interest in investing the resources necessary to best a 108k score.  I tip my hat to you, good sir, and fold.

• Like 1

Just got my 2nd FinalGROM for my other TI.@arcadeshopper and testing the module now with Dig Dug.

72,360 on real TI.   I really like the variation of the sound and music in this game (a bit similar like Burger Time :-))   not sure I am going to do another attempt for 108K.  But I just learned that you can earn some bonus when new icons appear (the icons of the difficulty levels), and earn more point when dropping stones of the enemy (maybe I should read the manual).

20230226_214326.jpg

20230226_214324.jpg

20230226_214559.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mizapf said:

Does it make any sense to half-inflate the enemies? I mean, you can do it, but it seems to be useless (apart from escaping a dangerous situation).

That's probably the only reason to do it on purpose, I think. The inflation time is really there to make it dangerous if others are still alive ;)

I have not played the TI version in ages, so I cannot recall if this works the same: in every platform version of DigDug I remember playing, if you press fire rapidly it inflates the enemies far more quickly than holding down fire.

EDIT: Just tried a quick game.  Pressing fire rapidly is the same as holding fire down.  I also found that some of the game mechanics works differently than some of the other platforms.  For instance, it is more difficult to hit them when they are moving through earth as ghosts.

On 2/25/2023 at 12:27 PM, Ksarul said:

I'm sort of surprised that @digdugnate hasn't noticed this one yet, LOL

I've been out of the loop for a couple of months because of a shoulder surgery and some other stuff going on.  :)  It's funny you mentioned it because I finally (again) got my 994A bits put back together (again) after they had been in some disarray before Christmas.

Edit to add- what the heck, guys, 100k+?!?  lol.  Compared to other versions, this one will be played on 'mute' for me.

Edited by digdugnate
  • Like 1

It seems that I have to propose the game for March... 🙂 

I choose Ms. Pac-Man. I've practically ignored this TI game (and also Pac-Man) in 80s, since I've played a lot of Munch Man. Just rediscovered recently in MAME. I've always played Pac-Man arcade, but Ms. Pac-Man offers a lot of variations to the classic game schema. The TI version is a good port, although I prefer the Atari VCS version for it's speed (faster than TI version, worst for graphics).

Another interesting game variant is Jr. Pac-Man, unfortunately not available for our TI. Try it if you like the genre (the VCS has a great version, although really tough).

In attachment the ROMs for MAME, FG99 and MiSTer TI99 core.

Have fun!

mspacc.bin mspacd.bin Ms. Pac-Man (1983)(Atari)[RX-8543].rpk Ms. Pac-Man (1983)(Atari)(RX-8543).M99

• Like 4