IGNORED

High Score Competition (June: TI Invaders *DOWNRIGHT NASTY* 60Hz/NTSC)

arcadeshopper

With the game of the month providing focus on the early 80s game, Star Trek: Strategic Operations Simulator, and with Airshack’s post, I have some ideas on what would make the game better.

I’m going to tailor this to a “Star Trek SOS II” (or more clever name) that could have come out in the early 80s.

1. Embrace the 2D. I’m not sure how the computers back in the day would have handled 3D. They probably would have done just fine in the arcade (remember Star Wars?), but I think there are some cool ideas to improve this game leaving it in 2D.

2. Multiplayer! For the low cost of a quarter (or free at home), at the press of the fire button on joystick 2, the USS Exeter, USS Constellation, or USS Farragut (at random) would join the Enterprise.

3. Mix up the opponents. We need some Romulans to go with our Klingons. Perhaps have sectors 1.x, 2.x be vs Klingons, then 3.x, 4.x against Romulans.

4. Mix up the boss stages. Going against the Nomad is cool. How about a Klingon or a Romulan boss after some of the waves?

5. A bonus racing stage - mix up some sort of fast flying between asteroids (Parsec) or spires (Buck Rogers) for a rail-shooter bonus stage that helps heal up your ship between levels.

6. Better explosions - graphics and sound.

7. Enemies that have alternate images depending on their rotation.

8. Kick up the strategy a little bit. How about after every boss level, let the player move “energy” between shields, photos, and warp to balance out how they player prefers to play the next wave?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Awesome selection for this month's contest btw. Interesting to see the many versions available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ideas for next month? Here are a few I’ve been considering in the past:

Tombstone City

Chisholm Trail

Moon Patrol

Barrage

I’m leaning towards #3 or #4. The month isn’t over yet; don’t want to get too far ahead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Attention all Star Trek fans: Don't forget to set your DVR for the premier of Star Trek: Discovery tonight!

If I had Netflix. ST:* are the only series that I am actually willing to spend time for watching. That's not enough for me to subscribe.

Going to wait some years until it shows up on TV.

I just closed a deal on thise4ea4d573ab368a62609942621121508.jpg

Does it work? I notice the spinner. I’m using trackball with Retropie. I’d be curious to see a good picture of the button layout.

Thanks for posting!

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That Star Trek rolling the score over video was excellent. Couldn't help but notice how Photons don't play into your gameplay -- AT ALL!!!

They did a good job of copying the arcade cabinet (Greg... sigh!) version yet this game screams for some enhancements.

IMHO the Nomad boss is kind of a pussy. I mean really. He avoids you and never kills you?!?!

The game doesn't feel finished.

That said, the roll-over scoring video was nice!

• Like 1

That Star Trek rolling the score over video was excellent. Couldn't help but notice how Photons don't play into your gameplay -- AT ALL!!!

They did a good job of copying the arcade cabinet (Greg... sigh!) version yet this game screams for some enhancements.

IMHO the Nomad boss is kind of a pussy. I mean really. He avoids you and never kills you?!?!

The game doesn't feel finished.

That said, the roll-over scoring video was nice!

And the Nomad is irritating as he gets faster. Just drops mines and changes directions. I pretty much just sit still and fire and hope I catch him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just hours to go in the month of September. Here we are right now:

September 2017

High Score Competition
Star Trek - Strategic Operations Simulator
1. jwild - 1312525
2. Airshack - 794375
3. Sinphaltiumus - 583700
4. Globeron 571450
5. digdugnate - 208400