IGNORED

High Score Competition (April: Starfort)

arcadeshopper

Frankly, I got this score after the third attempt. In one try, I lost 8 ships in the saucer wave in the red (3rd) level ... this was pretty close to tossing that f** joystick across the room. (I did not know that I still had these feelings inside ;) )

That level is very hard, I managed once to get after that and asteroid belt, but then the fast one came and game over. Suzo Joysticks The Arcade so far good (I saw that Mantadoc also has those).

I think I know what the next game will be :-)

Frankly, I got this score after the third attempt. In one try, I lost 8 ships in the saucer wave in the red (3rd) level ... this was pretty close to tossing that f** joystick across the room. (I did not know that I still had these feelings inside ;) )

You should play a 16-player death-match of Halo some time. Really comes out, then.

Welp, that does it, guys!!!

Congratulations to mizapf on his ridiculous score!!! Mizapf also wins the bonus prize for first Killer Sattelite posting. :)

Tough month this month for the gamers... Mizapf pulled out the big guns and wiped us all out. :)

I will be updating the top post in the next day or so with the winner's info.

Mizapf will be along shortly to post the next game!! :D

• Like 4

Juchu! :) (like [yoo-khoo], the ch being the voiceless velar fricative)

Playing games is somewhat similar to riding a bike - you seem to never forget some basic moves, even if it's 30 years ago. Recently, a friend of mine came here, and I said, "Have a look at AtariAge - we're having a gaming competition ... and this month it's Parsec". He just grinned. He remembered well that afternoon about 30 years ago when four of us sat in front of the TV set, playing Parsec for hours. We took turns, the joystick was passed on to the next one when a ship was lost. After an hour or so, we decided that one of us had the duty to deliberately crash the fleet until the first ship disappears in the list. The game went on for another hour, and I am pretty sure we cycled the counter (more than 1 million) ... at least once. I remember that the surface color remained yellow after level 16, and for a very long time, so we should have been somewhere well beyond level 20.

Here's a screencast that I took some days ago, showing a 100k points session. As you will notice, the game was suddenly over, but mainly because I had difficulties with the diagonals on the Competition Pro. I desperately tried to back off from the Killer Satellites, but the upward direction did not work reliably.

The next game will be announced shortly.

• Like 3

Wow... That was educational. :)

I think I have never gotten through the Asteroid belt on the first purple level... I remember getting down to "5.....4......3.....2....KRABOOOOOOOM!!!!" I have gotten to the Killer Satellites 4 or 5 times over the years, but I've never crossed 100k.

May I just say about the new MESS speech core.... WOW!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

Yes, the speech implementation is pretty good, but I cannot really say much more about it, other devs have been working it. I know it has to do with the patent specifications and uncapped TMS52xx chips, chirp tables etc. But it's not really new; the implementation is from about a year ago, at least.

Also, I'd like to say it would be nice if the winners of the upcoming competitions could also post a video clip of a good match if possible (need not be the winning one). For instance, I would have loved to see how to really play Crossfire (I seriously sucked at that one).

• Like 1

So we're about to go for a new competition ...

There is unsettling news: Astronomers report that a gigantic fleet of alien spaceships is heading towards Earth! Below is a picture taken by a telescope, which shows a ship of the first incoming wave. And there seem to be many more coming...

This month February will be the month of defending our planet against the ... TI Invaders!

post-35000-0-94657600-1454441117_thumb.png

• Like 5

So we're about to go for a new competition ...

There is unsettling news: Astronomers report that a gigantic fleet of alien spaceships is heading towards Earth! Below is a picture taken by a telescope, which shows a ship of the first incoming wave. And there seem to be many more coming...

This month February will be the month of defending our planet against the ... TI Invaders!

oh man that game is evil hard

I don't have a decent screen/audio capture software, or Id be happy to post a Crossfire gameplay video.

I've been very happy with Open Broadcaster Software (which can stream or record). Works on everything I've thrown at it so far, though I recommend the Windows-specific version over the newer multiplatform one, at least so far - but both work. https://obsproject.com/

I found this list of capturing software:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_screencasting_software

I used SimpleScreenRecorder (in Linux) for the Parsec clip.

I am using Camtasia (http://discover.techsmith.com/try-camtasia/?gclid=COvhstDQ4MoCFegp0wodmw8FUg) for Windows.

but I do not know (yet) how to do recording directly from the F18A VGA port (for Composite port I have a device Composite to USB)

and also how to record the Sony PSP Player?