IGNORED

High Score Competition (April: Starfort)

arcadeshopper

Thanks for the video!

By the way, I don't remember any rule that the person who picks a game is not eligible to win it, that is, he can win two in a row, or more. So I guess you are the undisputed winner of this month! :)

(If I had to pick a game, I would have chosen Shamus now, but it's obviously your turn.)

From the peanut gallery.. I'm totally down with Shamus (since I happen to own the cart and love the game, haha)

*********************************************************************************

*********************************************************************************

TI-99/4A High Score Challenge

Month: July 2017

Game: Shamus

ShamusBF.jpg

I have never played this game until 5 minutes ago. I found it on my FlashROM99, and it looks cool, so here we go!

Good Luck everyone!!

Oh wait..a prize! Same prize as last month since it is still available! Scroll back a few messages to the beginning of June for details.

I will ship it anywhere in the world. Have fun playing!

******************************************************************************************************

******************************************************************************************************

YESSSSS, lol- it's like you read my mind!

I'm dusting off my sticks now!

• Like 1

YESSSSS, lol- it's like you read my mind!

I'm dusting off my sticks now!

Those bad guys shoot diagonally! Not fair! This will take some practice!

I scored 2500. Beat that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

when i was dinking with the game here recently, i found it kind of difficult to use the TI joysticks to shoot diagonally (you can too, but it's super awkward).

This may be the month where I'm compelled to get an adapter and maybe a Slik Stick or an Epyx joystick, haha.

As an aside, I didn't play this game on the TI the first time around, our copy was on the C64- I absolutely LOVE the Synapse games.

• Like 2

Almost able to unlock the red lock in level 55 ... until that special one came (ghost ?)

Score 36990. (classic 99 and USB-DB9 Joystick, easier to shoot diagonal)

Never knew the meaning of Shamus

sha·mus
ˈSHāməs/
noun
NORTH AMERICANinformal
  1. a private detective.

post-39490-0-61171500-1499088071_thumb.jpg

post-39490-0-91340400-1499088073_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I've played this game a few times this week. It is fun and I am learning the mazes.

I haven't made it to the Shadow's Lair yet, but I have made to to the red level. The number of spiral droned, robo droids, and especially those nasty snap jumpers is overwhelming.

I tried this game out on the Commodore 64 this week also. That version seems impossible. Not that it is easy on the TI-99/4A, but I do think it is possible....

Attached is a video of my most recent quest to find the Shadow's Lair. This time in emulation on Classic 99 with a Logitech F310 controller.

I've played this game a few times this week. It is fun and I am learning the mazes.

I haven't made it to the Shadow's Lair yet, but I have made to to the red level. The number of spiral droned, robo droids, and especially those nasty snap jumpers is overwhelming.

I tried this game out on the Commodore 64 this week also. That version seems impossible. Not that it is easy on the TI-99/4A, but I do think it is possible....

Attached is a video of my most recent quest to find the Shadow's Lair. This time in emulation on Classic 99 with a Logitech F310 controller.

https://youtu.be/-RkC6yz28Ww

Wow. I did not made it to the green yet. But also think it is possible. For the purple jumpers if they come close, then walk back out of the screen and go back into it then the monsters reposition. Also when coming down I get hit often as not completely in line with monsters to shoot them and they shoot back.

Sent from my VIE-L29 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

AFAIK, Shamus is the English writing of Irish name "Séamus", being the celtic analogy to "James" again.

Never knew the meaning of Shamus

NORTH AMERICANinformal
  1. a private detective.

Fun fact: In the early years of the United States, Irish immigrants were known to make good police officers and investigators. This gave the reason for using this Irish name.

• Like 2

Thanks for the video!

By the way, I don't remember any rule that the person who picks a game is not eligible to win it, that is, he can win two in a row, or more.

In the top thread:

*If you are the champion, you can definitely play and post scores for the game of your choosing, but you are not eligible to win your own prize.

But that is a bit vague.... and may not even be necessary. I'd be happy to remove that Note from the game rules if you guys would like. I'm not tied to it.

From a game designer perspective, the controls on this one are awful.

I was using keys in emulation and it's really unresponsive; you have to push your joystick in the direction you want shivs to go and THEN press the fire button. I died most of the time because of not being able to shoot properly, otherwise it was usually because an enemy shot at me at close range.

Current high score is 4290... Maybe it will play better on my Epyx 500 XJ.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

here are the final results for July - Shamus challenge:

Shamus scores - July 2017

1. jwild 37520
2. globeron 36990
3. mizapf 20570
4. digdugnate 6550
5. adamantyr 4290
6. opry99er 2360
Thanks to everyone for playing!
If anyone has ideas for August, please let me know...
  • Like 4

TI-99/4A High Score Challenge

Month: August 2017

Game: Buck Rogers - Planet of Zoom

BuckRogersManual.jpg

buckrogers_snapshot_1.png

53e22976996fee074fd333d71e438de2--fictio

Colonel Deering is ordering each and every one of you to play this game and post your high scores. Do not let her down!

• Like 1

950c60eadaecbcb1fda758741eb4fe56.jpg

Let's get this started! We are already four days into the month!

Real TI-99/4a (mine from when I was a kid)

F18a

FinalGROM99 with Rasmus image.

And it's Friday night and that's alright for fighter pilot flying!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk