IGNORED

High Score Competition (June: TI Invaders *DOWNRIGHT NASTY* 60Hz/NTSC)

arcadeshopper

I discovered a couple of things last night specifically looking for tricks...

Using jump to climb a ladder is slightly faster than climbing (jump is the same speed as running horizontally though).

You CAN jump over the worms that are moving the same direction as you, but you need to be pixel perfect.

Level four seems to have two speed-ups -- one is if you time the run correctly, you can jump over the first bird when you're coming back to the right by using the top of the ladder to get a little extra height. If you jump early, you can do it without stopping. People might already be doing that, I always ducked back down the ladder. ;)

There's also a bug - you can jump off the top of the second ladder and land on the platform above it. This lets you skip running all the way to the left and back again. You can also run across the two-cell gaps on that top row without jumping. (I guess that's two bugs ;) ).

I can't do any of this consistently enough for a run yet though....

• Like 1

​Another bug (or feature) is that those moving holes on the walkways can kill you even if you are on a ladder.

That one's more of an unfortunate side effect, since the game was originally XB, death was determined by touching any sprite. So the holes are just moving sprites the same color as the background. :)

[...]

Using jump to climb a ladder is slightly faster than climbing (jump is the same speed as running horizontally though).

You CAN jump over the worms that are moving the same direction as you, but you need to be pixel perfect.

Level four seems to have two speed-ups -- one is if you time the run correctly, you can jump over the first bird when you're coming back to the right by using the top of the ladder to get a little extra height. If you jump early, you can do it without stopping. People might already be doing that, I always ducked back down the ladder. ;)

There's also a bug - you can jump off the top of the second ladder and land on the platform above it. This lets you skip running all the way to the left and back again. You can also run across the two-cell gaps on that top row without jumping. (I guess that's two bugs ;) ).

I can't do any of this consistently enough for a run yet though....

Yes, i doing lot of trials to improve my personal highscore and it is very hard be able to do some steps like the jump over the worms that are moving in the same direction, anyway this helped me to have the actual score. jumped them for two times. I also suspected that some of the worms cab be jumped and some other not in true :P instead it not seems to be.

I also restarting the game everytime after i lost only only life. unproductive continue the game without the bonus. Just dozens and dozens of play actually :P

But with your suggestions there are also more possibility to improve my skill :) thanks

Edited by ti99iuc

Best to date :) Classic99 60Hz. I think the second screen is the key to high scores because getting stuck behind worms very quickly depletes the bonus counter, so jumping over worms moving in the same direction is essential. For that score I managed to do it twice which I thought was pretty damn lucky!

post-25753-0-35554700-1524267794_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Best to date :) Classic99 60Hz. I think the second screen is the key to high scores because getting stuck behind worms very quickly depletes the bonus counter, so jumping over worms moving in the same direction is essential. For that score I managed to do it twice which I thought was pretty damn lucky!

attachicon.gifHerox HS.jpg

Ohhh damn ! :-o

I still trying to get an high score better of my last one :P very hard to replicate...

will try again :P

attachicon.gifHerox HS.jpg

I agree, that's the only place to score more, but it is very hard to jump over them in the same direction. I also tried different strategies in that level. Seems to beneed to try harder to get over them

Sent from my VIE-L29 using Tapatalk

I have to admit I've spent some time just looking for other tricks, and I don't think there are any. This contest is helping me learn tricks for making score-based challenges... there are definitely a couple of things I would have done differently. Thank you all for being my guinea pigs on this one. By cheating I did a few test runs and I think the best possible score is in the area of 26000, unless someone can find another shortcut. Apologies for the one-kill frustration, that's definitely something I would change next time.

It was my expectation that Sinph still owns this month and I was just awarding the prize, so I wasn't tracking scores. ;)

The competition is incredibly intimidating.

post-47352-0-97968600-1524751326.png

I don't know what happened but I was on a board with another dood up top and moving holes. I died for no reason halfway through on my last life and that's enough for me. can't do that again. I'm guessing my player suffered a severe heart attack. Not something i can bet against in a video game.

Best I'm gonna get.

post-47352-0-97105600-1524752197.png

Edited by Sinphaltimus