IGNORED

High Score Competition (Sep: Osotos)

arcadeshopper

I often found myself trying to outrun the ghosts on the ladders, getting caught trying to turn left or right.  Not much leeway when it comes to sprite tolerance in those cases :)  I also got trapped in the starting position a few times, when I died nearby.  Making it out of the hole was difficult at best.  Neat little game. 

image.thumb.png.f788b7576d4a4347973a35577b2e9935.png

• Like 4

no score yet today (though it's weird that AA eats some of my screencaps), but a story.  

I loaded the game on my Anbernic RG351V and it looks GORGEOUS I think on the screen, but it controls just terrible.  I'll stick to JS99er or 'real iron' for my attempts. lol

game related: are you guys bothering with digging the holes?  It looks like a good way to escape if you time it early, but otherwise i'm not sure i can tell the difference in the games where i dig and the games where i dont with my score.

Edited by digdugnate

36 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

game related: are you guys bothering with digging the holes?  It looks like a good way to escape if you time it early, but otherwise i'm not sure i can tell the difference in the games where i dig and the games where i dont with my score.

I dig and fill holes.  Well-placed holes can keep the ghosts running in a certain area for a while, as well as divert them at critical junctions (forcefully, in some cases.)

• Like 2

On 7/11/2024 at 12:29 PM, digdugnate said:

I started using the holes more strategically to keep some ghosts at bay, though it gets trickier as the levels increase.  I also dig to drop multiple levels as it is faster than climbing down a ladder.  

filling is not easy to remember but I have found it helpful at times, usually when higher in the map or to keep a ghost from falling onto me.  I still don’t quite understand how they move and react at times. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

We did not beat the score of  16,100 by @pixelpedant October 2020!

July 2024 results:

Globeron              13,480 Level 13
InsaneMultitasker  11,650 Level 11
Smoker Ace            9,010

Arcadeshopper         8,700
OLD CS1                 8,430
digdugnate             8,300
iliketurtles              4,920

New game for August 2024:

Moonsweeper (PHM 3224)

Manual - https://pixelpedant.com/items/show/140

MAME:

moonsweeper.rpk

FinalGROM:

phm3224C.BIN

• Like 1

While we were talking about our first cartridges, I remember this was one of the last that I got. It was also the one which disappointed me most.

MAME users: You can use the RPK from above, or use "-cart moonswp" if you have the ZIP package in your rompath.

• Like 1