IGNORED

Why CCI3 doesn't generate a valid rom file ?

FredTheFred

Hello,

I found my old ColecoVision this week and she's working well after more than 30 year old.

I'd like to try to code some little thing for the fun. I download SDDC 3.5.0 and Daniel bienvenu's dev kit. I found some example from the web like Mowleco for studying the script and i used the result.rom file (already compiled) in MSX emulator. It's working well ! But when i try CCI3, there's no error after compiling and linking but when i used result.rom file in msx emulator, the emulator seem dont work because it's not a valide rom file for coleco system. I've got the same result with another emulator.

What's Wrong ?

I use The Virtual Colecovision 2.11a release and i've got the same result.

I made another test. I just download an exemple of program on www. sebastianmihai.com web site. His program is just an simply version of Diamond (Daniel Bienvenu). In the archive file, there is an already compiled file's result.rom and it work fine with The virtual Colecovision emulator and MSX. But when i compile it by my self, virtual Colecovision emulator display an error box message 'This rom is not a valide colecovision rom file". So strange for me.

OK, i just check it and it's ok. The projecy link also libraries. This is the result :

C:\Users\FredTheFred\z80DB\simple_example>sdcc -mz80 --code-loc 0x8024 --data-loc 0x7000 --no-std-crt0 ../crtcv.rel ../cvlib.lib ../getput.lib ../comp.lib simple.rel tiles.rel
C:\Users\FredTheFred\z80DB\simple_example>objcopy --input-target=ihex --output-target=binary crtcv.ihx result.rom

I don't know what CCI3 is, so I may be off base, but I don't see a crt0 in your link command... don't you need to specify it even with the libraries?

The correct code-loc address depends on the crt0.s.

(edit: oh, I guess that is crtcv.rel -- are you getting any warnings when you link?)

Edited by Tursi

I'm thinking you're missing files that needs to be put into the SDCC folder.

This is an old video on how to install SDCC and there are some files that need to be transfer over to the SDCC folders. This is what I referred to when I first started programming for this system.

Also in the newer kit, there are batch files, patchsdcc.bat, that will put the files into the SDCC folder for you. Since the SDCC folder is in Program Files, it might not copy files over due to Windows file permission. The readme.txt will have information where to put these files over manually.

I use CCI3 to compile Colecovision project. I'm not sure if CCI3 or CCI2 still works with SDCC 3.5.0. I am still on SDCC 3.3.0