IGNORED

21 Games Everyone Should Play Before They Die

So there is not a single game made before 1990 that is fun and something you'd actually want to play today? Where is the sigh emoticon? I need one right now. :? :-o :mad: will have to do.

Personally, I think pretty much all systems made after 1993 are boring, and I'd only play games for those (including Windows PC's) if there were no other choices. For that matter, Pong can be very challenging and fun both to play and watch, if the time and place are the right.

• Like 7

This should be called the "Top 21 modern video games you must play before you die". I agree with Carlsson. Where are all the NES, TG-16, Genesis, Atari 2600 games, etc. I don't like most modern games that much and prefer the classics. Yes the graphics are simple; but it isn't about that. It is the fun factor and nostalgia that is most important. Plus reliving the days of your youth.

• Like 4

To be fair he does have a PacMan game on there. I think some games are just too new for a list like this. I'm sure that in 5 years no one will think "Papers Please" needs to be played to have a fulfilling life, and someone will finally do something much more interesting with the Minecraft format by then.

More complaining right after this . . .

I also don't think you need The Last of Us AND a Resident Evil game on there. They are basically the same game, just pick one.

And yet more old man yells at cloud moments

Nothing Pokemon has ever had any kind of cultural relevance in my life except to make funny puns like "Pokemon has never penetrated my cultural bubble."

Basically -- Internet whaaaaa! Also, I've still never paid money for a game on a smartphone and while that will probably change before I die, I doubt I'll ever think it was necessary.

I paid for Minimæ... It is an RPG made by P1XL entertainment. It is not a re-make, but a precise replica of a game made for the C64 by the original developers of that game.

It is still the only phone game I have paid for, and I am glad I did. That kind of game is well worth $1.99.

As for my list, it almost leaves out ALL the games on that posted list. Surely Zelda, Galaga, Asteroids, SMB, Sonic, Parsec, and Invaders MUST be included in any comprehensive list...

Hmm so there is "COD Zombie", AK RE4, but no mind-flipping, emotion fullfilling and deeply scenarized Silent Hill 2?

No Alone in the Dark that FOUNDED A WHOLE GENRE of games?

No Pong as mentionned, that is still ggod (I would have maybe put a Plasma Pong to please younger audiences?)

There is a phone game zap game but not a real shooter like any of the R-Type series?

There isn't any racing game in that list either. Or sports games.

Super Mario World is older than DK 94. Still, plenty of these games I don't ever want to play, including RE4, Last of Us, Pokemon, Minecraft, and Papers Please. Where's Sim City or Civ? Where's the original SMB, and why do we get the less culturally important one in its place? No 2D shooters? No Doom? Wolfenstein? Diablo?

Bad list is bad. It should read, "Haha, someone made you click on a link which generated ad revenue for my company so I can get paid a paltry wage."

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Love Pokemon and the Pokemon X and Y games are great. No wonder it made the list I'll be heading up to Boston next week to compete in the Pokemon TCG (Trading Card Game) World Championships because I ranked up enough points to qualify in. Also be taking my 3DS with me with X, Y, Omega Red, and Alpha Sapphire to help build up my collection. :)

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

I'm surprised 'The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds' (3ds) made it to that list. A nice game, but it wasn't my favorite of the series. Also, the weapon renting system sucked.

Also, I think Half Life and Shenmue should be somewhere on the list.

I completed the game and thouroughly enjoyed it. It's actually the first Zelda I've actually completed for the record. And there's an easy way to get around the weapon rental system. Don't die. Sound impossible? Not really. Save often. If you die in the field, quit and resume your game from the last checkpoint. You may have to backtrack a little more but you won't lose your stuff.

Also later on, he lets you outright buy the weapons once you gain the ability to cross over into the other dimension. I purchased the weapons as soon as they came available or I could afford to do so. You can also upgrade any purchased weapons by collecting ten squids and returning them to mommy.

Still for the sake of the list, the guy should have included LoZ: A Link to the Past, which became the inspiration for A Link Between Worlds. A Link Between Worlds started off as a 3DS remake of A Link to the Past before becoming a spiritual sequel instead. It seemed the author only included the most modern entry in each series. Also where the hell is Super Mario Brothers?

Edited by stardust4ever

And there's an easy way to get around the weapon rental system. Don't die. Sound impossible? Not really. Save often. If you die in the field, quit and resume your game from the last checkpoint. You may have to backtrack a little more but you won't lose your stuff.

That is what I think what's wrong with it. You can somehow 'cheat' the system out of the box.

Also where the hell is Super Mario Brothers?

Maybe he just wanted one Mario game on the list, Super Mario World. What would you pick if you had to choose?

If a list like that doesn't feature STAR RAIDERS (A8), a classic and a KILLER-APP every human should be forced to play, it's always a big fail.

Indeed. Even in the late 80's during the 16-bit era I was still amazed by this game, and what could be achieved with a 70's computer (Copyright 1979!).

I found the keyboard controls really cool. I played this game with my father, he controlled the keyboard, I the joystick. It was like having a real simulator!

That is what I think what's wrong with it. You can somehow 'cheat' the system out of the box.

Maybe he just wanted one Mario game on the list, Super Mario World. What would you pick if you had to choose?

a) I saved at every wind vane I came across. Hardest part was in the beginning making across the fields to the tower with only three hearts. Having a strategy guide helped too.

b) Yeah Super Mario World is the greatest Mario of all. I rank it slightly above Mario 3. Like Link to the Past, more polish than the original. Super Mario Brothers was the shit though. That and Duck Hunt. ;)

For the record, the Huffington post article did not display correctly on my Gamepad so I was only able to view the 15 thumbnails at the top. The actual list had 21 entries so yeah, I may have missed that Mario was even mentioned. :dunce:

Edited by stardust4ever

For the record, the Huffington post article did not display correctly on my Gamepad so I was only able to view the 15 thumbnails at the top. The actual list had 21 entries so yeah, I may have missed that Mario was even mentioned. :dunce:

Now that I've read this fully on my laptop, it appears the author is only listing titles still available legally on modern platforms (VC, port, or otherwise), hence the lack of many retro titles. Still, it's not the greatest list I've ever seen, far from it.