IGNORED

Article on surfing the internet on the TRS-80

Rhomaios

SWEET. That thing reminds me of the short-lived Cidco Mailstation, which is a lot newer (c. 2000) but was designed strictly for email. Basically a glorified calculator, no graphics to speak of. But there's something about a true retro machine like the Model 100 that elicits oohs and ahhs when one can get modern-day ignition on it.

The only thing stopping me from trying something like this is the fact that old hardware doesn't last forever. I just went through an expensive experiment of getting a real 80's cassette player from Ebay and racking up tons of music on cassette, only to have the blasted thing go sour on me within a few weeks. So, I'll be content running Tandy Deskmate in EGA resolution via Dosbox.

Fun Model 100 commercial while it lasts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kil5UDYiQX4

• Like 1

If you do a search on here, somewhere their is a write up I did back in 08 or so about using my old Model 4 for Internet work. I was able to connect to various BBS systems, and also to send and receive E-mails. I played with that model 4 for almost a year pushing It to the limits.

Tandy made some great computers, and I can't help but wonder what the trs-80 model 40 would have been like.

• Like 1

From a operational standpoint, there is no reason whatsoever why the TRS-80 Model IV could not run a Lynx-style browser.

The TRS-80 does have enough memory. Heck if an anemic TI-99/4A with even less memory can have a browser

<<-reference here->> it should be much easier on the TRS-80.

The problem with the TRS-80 is the user base, how large is it? What percentage of users would even be remotely interested in a limited browser. Who's going to write software for such a limited market? I like being able to fire up my classic computer and do stuff that was considered impossible back in the day, but sometimes generating interest takes time. Good luck!

• Like 1