IGNORED

Color bleeding on Lynx II

darthkur

Worth checking your 5v level I guess, just in case voltage is over 5v and screen is getting overdriven somehow, but most likely the LCD. The way that screen looks is no too different to how many Lynx LCD screen look normally. It's normal to get ghosting up the screen to a degree.

How and where would I check, precisely, for the 5v level?

Is it a tricky procedure to replace the LCD screen?

If you replace the screen with an original screen its not too difficult - just removing screws, carefully taking it all to bits so you can get to the screen, replace the screen and re-assemble. If you want to fit McWills new LCD screen (recommended) and you've not done soldering before, I would recommend sending the Lynx off to him and he will install the new screen for you. Works out more expensive but boy do you get a good screen!

• Like 1

Yep. Check 5v level and check/reseat connector to LCD. If that doesn't work, try a new LCD. 25-years old LCD are likely to fail anyway. I've had 2 LCD that showed no obvious sign of problem but one had lots of horizontal lines like bad connection to LCD, and yes I've tried checking and heat applying to ribbon cable on LCD itself. The other ones had holes caused by rot inside the LCD panel.

One Lynx is spare part and other Lynx got the McWill treatment. :D

• Like 1

I'll have to grab a couple extra screens from Best. Would be goo to have at least one extra for latter.

Yep. Check 5v level and check/reseat connector to LCD. ....

How exactly do you go about checking those items. In fact what do those parts look like?

The connector to the controller panel has an easy to find 5v. You would need to remove the whole Lynx mainboard out to check the back anyway, the pin for the controller connector closest to button A and B is 5v source. Ground is any large exposed metal. Using a meter set to volt check those 2 spot. If it's 5v +- 0.5v it's probably fine but if it's higher, shut your Lynx off and pay someone to do the 5v mod. Your original 5v regulator is failing and can fry the Lynx.

• Like 1

The connector to the controller panel has an easy to find 5v. You would need to remove the whole Lynx mainboard out to check the back anyway, the pin for the controller connector closest to button A and B is 5v source. Ground is any large exposed metal. Using a meter set to volt check those 2 spot. If it's 5v +- 0.5v it's probably fine but if it's higher, shut your Lynx off and pay someone to do the 5v mod. Your original 5v regulator is failing and can fry the Lynx.

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try.

Do you have a link or something? I have checked their site several times since last year and can't find anything more than a replacement speaker.

Sorry, I do not have a link. I do have their BIG catalog Revision 10 (printed 15 or so years ago). It lists the Lynx II Screen on PAGE 167, Part Number CB102321, Lynx II LCD Display Module. I actually called Brad directly and confirmed he still had the screens and whether or not they were still good (sound quality). He assured me they were great screens, and he was correct. I order one from him earlier this year and it works great! Shipping in the USA is about $6. So, I would also order a CX-40 rebuild kit and whatever else you might desire.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. I'll dig deeper into the site and if I can't find it, I'll give him a call Tuesday.

Edit

Part Number CB102321

Found it with the part # you listed. Been looking for one for about 6 months and can't believe I missed it. That is one old school site.

Thanks again!

Edited by Turbo-Torch