IGNORED

How much do you think Blix will sell for?

y-bot

Possibly, assuming the boards are manufactured unique enough. Somehow I doubt they silkscreened "CGE 2014" on them. I guess anything's possible.

More importantly, are people in the habit of opening the shells of games they just spent $500+ on?

Some people were willing to do this with games they had just paid $30 on. Here's some previously posted photos (someone else took this photos):

post-37124-0-69174600-1444024677_thumb.jpg

post-37124-0-78157300-1444024684_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Some people were willing to do this with games they had just paid $30 on. Here's some previously posted photos (someone else took this photos):

attachicon.gifblix1.jpg

attachicon.gifblix2.jpg

Hey, these are the pics of the copy of Blix on eBay now!!!

There is the same dog bite on the right of the cart.

Really unique!

(the joke of the dog has to be credited to SiLic0ne t0aD85)

Edited by intellivotion

Neat. So at least this one has some element of uniqueness to it - assuming every buyer pops his open to check.

Fortunately the rare "dog bite" variant seems easily identifiable. I hope Piggy Bank gets the same toothed serial markings, so that us speculators collectors know we've got the real thing.

• Like 2

Yeah, that 'dog' bite is rather identifiable. :)

However, I'm willing to offer all Blix owners a one time special service. For only $50, just mail me your copy of Blix and I will use special equipment to imprint a similar serial identifier onto the cartridge (i.e. let my neighbor's dog chew on it). So far, the lowest serial identifier of fang-fang-molar is already spoken for. Reserve your serial identifier now.

So, from the last several posts it sounds like the BLIX currently on ebay is the only one that can be confirmed as legitimate. Feel sorry for all of the people who spent a lot of money on something that might be fake. Sounds like going forward all homebrews will need to come with a certificate of authenticity, or something to confirm the pedigree.

I've updated my auction, hopefully people will believe it's legitimate.

So, from the last several posts it sounds like the BLIX currently on ebay is the only one that can be confirmed as legitimate. Feel sorry for all of the people who spent a lot of money on something that might be fake. Sounds like going forward all homebrews will need to come with a certificate of authenticity, or something to confirm the pedigree.

I've updated my auction, hopefully people will believe it's legitimate.

no proof anyone has done that. We were discussing the ease of faking a game. But as we know what the board looks like you can find out if its real or not if you wanted to make sure.
  • Like 1

no proof anyone has done that. We were discussing the ease of faking a game. But as we know what the board looks like you can find out if its real or not if you wanted to make sure.

Good points.

To be honest, I only know of a handful of people that put roms onto boards. I dont think you have much to worry about with an intellivision version of that "Hozer" guy that does it with atari games. Anyone remember him? haha

I'm guessing the number of 'fake' Blix carts out there is close to zero. Especially with one of Harvey's boards. That said, if a purist collector truly valued an original CGE Blix cart and was willing to pay a premium price for one, I'd hope they would validate its authenticity somehow. Same with any rare/expensive collectible. Unfortunately, the only components of Blix you can really validate are:

1). The label (arguably somewhat easy to replicate)

2). The exact PCB (difficult to replicate, and prob not worth effort)

3). The ROM (apparently readily available)

It's not sealed, so I'd expect a collector test it upon receipt. We have pics of the PCB, so the only way to really get scammed would be to blindly buy a fake and be too uncomfortable to undo two small Phillips head screws to check the PCB and/or too lazy to actually play it.

All of this is silly, though, because the whole intent of the game release was for GDG to be able to sell a handful of games for as many consoles as possible at a booth at CGE. The 30 game limit was never meant to induce rarity. That same limit was applied to carts for other systems as well, some of which I believe didn't even sell out. The release followed a format probably more similar to Atari homebrew releases, but we went all crazy Intellivision on it. To quote the 40 Year Old Virgin...

https://youtu.be/WsnXQdkqChg

To be honest, I only know of a handful of people that put roms onto boards. I dont think you have much to worry about with an intellivision version of that "Hozer" guy that does it with atari games. Anyone remember him? haha

Yeah. Realistically, as much as some (me) like to point out how easy certain things are to fake - there just aren't that many people with the wherewithal to do it. And those that could, wouldn't. At worst it'd be a one time thing: someone would pull a scam, get caught eventually - and no one would ever do boards for them again. One of the fortunate (if ironic) side-effects of Blix being available as a ROM is that there's even LESS incentive for someone to try to profit off of piracy. There's more incentive to do this with the undumpable Boulder Dash, because a cart copy is the only way for anyone to actually play it. With Blix - the premium price is all about the cart label/board - the game itself is secondary.

I'm more surprised we haven't seen fake boxes. A dozen fake Spiker! boxes would take longer to notice. It's not like they only made 30 copies of Spiker! AFAIK repro boxes are pretty easy to spot (most are intentionally made this way?).

The easiest, as with any system, would be to counterfeit sealed games - because very few buyers open them up (especially for the valuable ones). The fact that no one's done it yet says a lot of good things about this community.

Is that the same early PCB type with the split trace? I can't tell from the pic.

That could be another way to identify/authenticate it if so..

I'm also curious to see a pic of the bottom, to see if a dog really did chomp on it once before it was quickly snatched up.

Edited by SiLic0ne t0aD85

Is that the same early PCB type with the split trace? I can't tell from the pic.

That could be another way to identify/authenticate it if so..

I'm also curious to see a pic of the bottom, to see if a dog really did chomp on it once before it was quickly snatched up.

Yep, it's got the split trace. It's the same as the red board that you may have seen. By the way, all my Intellivision boards have that split trace, but after finding out about the issue, all boards sent out by me had the two pins shorted together elsewhere on the board. Newer revisions of the board have a simple jumper that can be soldered together to be sure of better contact.

At the time, I ordered two batches of PCBs. A small run of boards for Blix, to arrive quicker, and a larger run of boards for other games (longer lead time, cheaper). The two sets of boards were from different companies. The board layout was the same, but the Blix boards are green, don't have any gold fingers (connector), and the edge of the board isn't beveled.

• Like 1