IGNORED

7800 coming soon

t.skid

I say the best games for the 7800 are the games you can play with your 2600 joystick:

Ms. Pac-Man

Galaga

Food Fight

Dig Dug

Donkey Kong

While the 5200 controllers are worse, I don't like the standard 7800 controllers, either - I don't like the feel of the stick, the fire buttons or the cramps it induces in my hands in less than a minute. To play any of the games that require two fire buttons, the Euro 7800 joypads are a must.

Mendon Posted: 10 Apr 2003 23:25    Post subject:  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Three of my favorite 7800 games are Xenophobe, Xevious, and Food Fight. All three have given me hours and hours and hours of fun and I never tire of them.  

Most of the late-release 7800 games (with the exception of Motor Psycho) are pretty darn good, especially Alien Brigade and Midnight Mutants. As for the arcade ports, you gotta go with Ms. Pac-Man, Robotron 2084, Food Fight (ultra-addictive), Asteroids, Galaga, Choplifter, Centipede, Dig Dug, Asteroids, Pole Position II and Joust. Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Junior are pretty good, but the audio for these two games is sheer torture (those games would've benefited from a POKEY...well just about every non-POKEY chipped 7800 game would've benefitted from the POKEY). As for sports games, there's Ballblazer, Summer Games, Winter Games, and One On One Basketball (I find Hat Trick and Touchdown Football to be lackluster efforts). There's also a Super Mario Bros.-inspired side scroller called Scrapyard Dog. I must say that one of my most favorite games on the 7800 is Tower Toppler. Sure, it drives you nuts sometimes, but it does it in a good way. And if you're interested in a primitive version of the arcade game Gauntlet, there's a 7800 game called Dark Chambers. DC is boring compared to Gauntlet (DC allowed 1 or 2 player "cooperative" only while Gauntlet allowed up to 4 players at the same time).

Brian R. Posted: 12 Apr 2003 01:04    Post subject:  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I say the best games for the 7800 are the games you can play with your 2600 joystick:  

Ms. Pac-Man  

Galaga  

Food Fight  

Dig Dug  

Donkey Kong  

While the 5200 controllers are worse, I don't like the standard 7800 controllers, either - I don't like the feel of the stick, the fire buttons or the cramps it induces in my hands in less than a minute. To play any of the games that require two fire buttons, the Euro 7800 joypads are a must.  

The 7800 controllers are uncomfortable after using them for extended periods, so I would say go for the joypads as well.

For one button/2600 games, I prefer the Genesis pad.  It works a little better on games such as H. E. R. O., in my opinion.  Plus the pads last longer than the old Atari joysticks too.

I like the stock Atari 7800 sticks, but my girlfriend prefers to use the Genesis pads as well.