1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

How about I could just come to this thread to read from Kevtris, about progress on his work, and not have to read 10 pages of random crap about televisions and programming languages? Is that really too much to ask for? Where did I say I only want official announcements from Analogue? And why are you saying what Kevtris is going to post aboput in this thread or not? Do you actually know that? Please don't answer to this questions. I don't want to discuss any of this. I just want to stop needing to read dozens of posts unrelated to this thread to find the information I am interested in.

Or you could stop complaining about people wanting to talk about things you aren't interested in, since you don't own the internet?

• Like 2

That would be a scripting language NOT a programming language. Personally I use ksh more recently bash for simple scripting and perl if it's a more complex data structure. I'm old school: shell, perl , C, C++ in order of preference depending on the complexity of the task. Depending on the embedded system I would use in-line assembler if the C compiler sucked or I needed to improve performance... but C compilers now days mostly are pretty well polished and hardware unless it's retro is damn fast.

And that make your own NES game thing isn't a programming language either ;) different tools for different jobs

Excellent news. That just greatly increased the likelihood I'll order the Super NT since I won't also need to get an actual SNES for the PVM and have to deal with 1-chip/2-chip/rgb-shenanigans.

• Like 1

How about I could just come to this thread to read from Kevtris, about progress on his work, and not have to read 10 pages of random crap about televisions and programming languages? Is that really too much to ask for? Where did I say I only want official announcements from Analogue? And why are you saying what Kevtris is going to post aboput in this thread or not? Do you actually know that? Please don't answer to this questions. I don't want to discuss any of this. I just want to stop needing to read dozens of posts unrelated to this thread to find the information I am interested in.

I don't know, we've literally just got confirmation today, from Analogue on twitter, that Kevtris is working on the DAC. They've been hinting about a DAC for weeks, yet no posts on here from Kevtris, even though he's working on it. Why are you demanding that this thread be cleared out so he can personally give you a status update on what he's getting paid to do. We got literally no information from him about the Super NT until it was officially announced by Analogue. He's probably answered all he's allowed to or wants to answer at this point. I highly doubt that we're going to get any new information exclusively posted in this thread about anything he's working on until at least after the Super NT is released. So what you want, is for this thread to be closed until there's some new official Analogue/Kevtris product related news to discuss, which will probably be announced first on twitter.

• Like 2

I think they didn't call the signal "proprietary" if it just convert 480p to 240p. I'm hoping for a RAW 240p signal using the HDMI just as a connector, without any compromisses to 60Hz and others HDMI specs. I don't know if Snes have speed differences as NES (in Hz) but if they plan to make it universal to newer products the RAW signal seem the way to go.

Converting 480p to 240p doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense, frankly. Not in comparison to just updating the Super NT firmware to output 240p for the dongle when detected.

240p over HDMI is in existing specs. Just like 32khz sampling rate for HDMI audio, etc.

I'm loving these developments. Also hoping for de-jitter options for both consoles, and so on.

• Like 1

I'd imagine that, when the DAC is in use, it's probably not sending standard CEA-861 HDMI signals through the HDMI port to the DAC. It's probably going to send raw digital signals that can be directly fed into the actual DAC chip. I don't think they mean proprietary signals in the sense of some super secret special sauce, but merely that they're going to go with what is simplest instead of trying to adhere to the HDMI standard.

• Like 3

Converting 480p to 240p doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense, frankly. Not in comparison to just updating the Super NT firmware to output 240p for the dongle when detected.

240p over HDMI is in existing specs. Just like 32khz sampling rate for HDMI audio, etc.

I'm loving these developments. Also hoping for de-jitter options for both consoles, and so on.

I think that question was only asked because the official Super NT specs on Analogue's website for HDMI out say 480p/720p/1080p. But like others have said they will probably just send out a raw non HDMI compliant "240p" signal to the DAC.

• Like 1

Here ya go:

kevtris. Click on that, and select POSTS. That'll show all his posts. You won't have to wade through everything else.

Also..

Anyone know how to use Elgato Game Capture HD with the NT Mini? I can't get it to work properly at all. The GC HD works with PS2 via component, but not working with the NT Mini via component. :(

Anyone know how to use Elgato Game Capture HD with the NT Mini? I can't get it to work properly at all. The GC HD works with PS2 via component, but not working with the NT Mini via component. :(

The Elgato Game Capture HD does not work with the component video connection in 240p mode, which is the only mode the Nt Mini supports via that connection. The PS2 uses 480i over component most of the time, and the Elgato has no issue with that signal.

See here : https://static1.squarespace.com/static/51f517f0e4b01da70d01ca2a/t/5a31f9b10d9297f7991b2283/1513224626713/240p-Cap_Cards_20171211.pdf

The bottom line is this thread should not be the place to discuss OLED TVs, 4K Xbox/PS4 compatibility, sound systems, and game programming, yet those have been the topics over the past few days. Leods request is not unreasonable.

I agree with this. I am not sure why they were talking about xbox 4K game compatibility lists in this thread, when that has absolutely zero to do with FPGA videogame stuff.

• Like 7

I think that question was only asked because the official Super NT specs on Analogue's website for HDMI out say 480p/720p/1080p. But like others have said they will probably just send out a raw non HDMI compliant "240p" signal to the DAC.

Would this then allow the Super Scope to work on a CRT?

• Like 2

The Elgato Game Capture HD does not work with the component video connection in 240p mode, which is the only mode the Nt Mini supports via that connection. The PS2 uses 480i over component most of the time, and the Elgato has no issue with that signal.

See here : https://static1.squarespace.com/static/51f517f0e4b01da70d01ca2a/t/5a31f9b10d9297f7991b2283/1513224626713/240p-Cap_Cards_20171211.pdf

I guess I was confusing myself with the 480i crt. I can stop trying now lol. Thanks for the info.

I can just use the composite out form the FV310 I guess. Would it not work with the signal coming out of the PVM if I used that? Out from NT Mini to PVM. PVM out to Elgato HD?

update:

Tried using the composite out from FV310 to the Video Capture device/software. Can't get video, but sound it fine. Also tried using GC HD with the HD software. Out from NT Mini via component to the FV310. Out from FV310 composite to GC HD device using the yellow video composite cable to the GC HD red rca video in, also red/yellow rca audio. No picture even when having exactly how it the diagram shows. :(

Next try will be NT Mini to PVM via component, then component out from PVM to the GC HD.

Edited by F34R

I guess I was confusing myself with the 480i crt. I can stop trying now lol. Thanks for the info.

I can just use the composite out form the FV310 I guess. Would it not work with the signal coming out of the PVM if I used that? Out from NT Mini to PVM. PVM out to Elgato HD?

FWIW all the Startech and Micomsoft capture products work with 240p component and RGB from the NT Mini, though I can understand not wanting to switch platforms. The newer boards and boxes from everybody else are supporting 240p less and less, sadly.

I run RGB out from my PVM into the Startech using regular HD-15 to BNC cables in reverse, or component out using BNC to RCA with the Startech component cable.

Edited by Beer Monkey

FWIW all the Startech and Micomsoft capture products work with 240p component and RGB from the NT Mini, though I can understand not wanting to switch platforms. The newer boards and boxes from everybody else are supporting 240p less and less, sadly.

I run RGB out from my PVM into the Startech using regular HD-15 to BNC cables in reverse, or component out using BNC to RCA with the Startech component cable.

Just seems frustrating to even get the basic video capture to work lol. If I had my Hauppauge 1212 still, I'd use it lol. Can you link me to what you're using please?

Would this then allow the Super Scope to work on a CRT?

I would assume so, but I'm not exactly sure how the Super Scope works compared to other light guns, I haven't looked into it much. If it did, this would close the tiny game compatibility gap between the Super NT and an original SNES to zero, at least I think. I'm not sure if there any other wacky SNES attachments or accessories that need anything other than the cartridge slot. I think the EXT port was used solely for the Satellaview, whose games can be played on a flash cart.

Analogue already answered this on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/analogue_co/status/954524564519755776

Fantastic!

Was there a tweet that I missed that said when this DAC would be released or available for preorder? I'm more wondering how long the Super Nt would have to sit in the box before I'm able to play it.

As far as I'm aware, all they've said so far is that it's a work in progress, with no release date or window. I think they're announcing it now that we're getting closer to when the first round of pre-orders are supposed to ship out, for people on the fence due to no built in analog out.

• Like 1

I thought all the mappers that were included in retail NES games were supported?

mapper 30 isn't a retail nes game mapper. It is also quite new (a year old maybe) which is why it isn't supported yet. I most likely will add support for it when I have ROMs to test with and get some time to do bug fixes/updates to the NES core.

• Like 7