2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

It's not that complicated.

8BitDo products other than the SNES 2.4G controller all utilize Bluetooth. You can mix and match controllers and receivers as you please. The sole exception is the SNES 2.4G controller (which uses a new wireless protocol), which is marketed specifically to NES and SNES Classic Edition owners and comes with the necessary receiver for those plug and plays as a standard part of the package.

Therefor, you can't use pair a SNES 2.4G controller to a different receiver from the company (Such as a SNES Retro Receiver), nor can you connect a controller other than the SNES 2.4G controller to the SNES 2.4G receiver. It's a product that's specific to the NES and SNES Classic Editions (Although it can be used as a wired USB controller on a few additional platforms like the PC).

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 4

It's not that complicated.

8BitDo products other than the SNES 2.4G controller all utilize Bluetooth. You can mix and match controllers and receivers as you please. The sole exception is the SNES 2.4G controller (which uses a new wireless protocol), which is marketed specifically to NES and SNES Classic Edition owners and comes with the necessary receiver for those plug and plays as a standard part of the package.

Therefor, you can't use pair a SNES 2.4G controller to a different receiver from the company (Such as a SNES Retro Receiver), nor can you connect a controller other than the SNES 2.4G controller to the SNES 2.4G receiver. It's a product that's specific to the NES and SNES Classic Editions (Although it can be used as a wired USB controller on a few additional platforms like the PC).

That's the long and short of it.

It is an easy mistake to make when they are not really clearly defined.

And not compatible with each other (the old version and the new version), I think... the product info page is super misleading.

http://www.8bitdo.com/retro-receiver-snes/

wtf.png

The massive bold title says it works with all 8bitdo controllers including the next gen, and then the note says it does not work with the next generation of the snes controller they made. Honestly I can't make heads or tails of it.

The controllers they are talking about (SN30/SF30 2.4GHz) are specifically designed to use with the SNES Mini. The Retro Receiver works with all 8bitdo Bluetooth Products and a load of other non-8bitdo Bluetooth controllers.

This is very confusing, but I think I have it right :

These two controllers are only compatible with the SNES Classic Edition and SFC Classic Edition :

http://www.8bitdo.com/sn30-sf30-2_4g-for-snes-and-sfc-classic-edition/

These four controllers (two of which look very similar to the above) are compatible with the Retro Receivers :

https://www.analogue.co/pages/store/

These two, now discontinued controllers are also compatible with the Retro Receivers :

https://www.amazon.com/SN30-Game-Controller-PC-Mac-Linux/dp/B00VAQG5GQ/ref=sr_1_19?srs=9176188011&ie=UTF8&qid=1517928023&sr=8-19

https://www.amazon.com/8bitdo-Wireless-Bluetooth-Controller-Joystick/dp/B00Y0LUQFE/ref=sr_1_21?srs=9176188011&ie=UTF8&qid=1517928023&sr=8-21

I took screen captures from the Nt Mini here and did not observe anything which would lead me to conclude that its composite output quality is inferior to a NES or AV Famicom : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2017/12/analogue-nt-mini-browsing-core-store-pt.html

byuu made further comment comments about the Polygon article here :

https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/7vjehj/fpgas_arent_magic_an_article_by_the_creator_of/

You have it right.

To add one more thing that may potentially confuse someone, this NES Classic/SNES Classic Retro Receiver is compatible with their regular range of Bluetooth controllers for those that wish to use them on their Nintendo plug and play. Compatible controllers include those two discontinued SNES style controllers you've mentioned, as well as those matching four controllers for the Super NT that are currently for sale.

This receiver is not for their NES Classic/SNES Classic 2.4G controllers, which can only be bought with their matching 2.4G receiver in the first place (Negating most of the demand for a standalone 2.4G receiver to be sold).

Edited by Atariboy

Well all that aside.. SN30, 2.4ghz or whatever, the one question I have is what's this discount they're talking about. :lol: Maybe it's some coupon insert in the package that we'll see when we get it. Or maybe it's just the price as is and that's "the discount"

post-31-0-23759300-1517929557_thumb.jpg

Well all that aside.. SN30, 2.4ghz or whatever, the one question I have is what's this discount they're talking about. :lol: Maybe it's some coupon insert in the package that we'll see when we get it. Or maybe it's just the price as is and that's "the discount"

attachicon.gifImage1.jpg

Theyre talking about the fact that it’s cheaper to buy a controller and receiver in the bundle (as they are now) that was to buy them separately (old SN/SF30 and seperate Retro Receiver).

• Like 1

It is an easy mistake to make when they are not really clearly defined.

And not compatible with each other (the old version and the new version), I think... the product info page is super misleading.

http://www.8bitdo.com/retro-receiver-snes/

wtf.png

The massive bold title says it works with all 8bitdo controllers including the next gen, and then the note says it does not work with the next generation of the snes controller they made. Honestly I can't make heads or tails of it.

Gotta admit, for reading here and other places, their stuff is a mess (the way they explain it, the wording) when realy it's simple, their controller uses RF (2.4Ghz) for snes classic mini, the rest uses BT.

you're mentionning SN30 2.4G, I just googled that had this was the fist hit : http://8bitdo.fr/sn30.html, you clealy see the wiimote plug dongle thingy.

You have it right.

To add one more thing that may potentially confuse someone, this NES Classic/SNES Classic Retro Receiver is compatible with their regular range of Bluetooth controllers for those that wish to use them on their Nintendo plug and play. Compatible controllers include those two discontinued SNES style controllers you've mentioned, as well as those matching four controllers for the Super NT that are currently for sale.

This receiver is not for their NES Classic/SNES Classic 2.4G controllers, which can only be bought with their matching 2.4G receiver in the first place (Negating most of the demand for a standalone 2.4G receiver to be sold).

LOL, I didn't know this existed haha

the real problem here is that their recievers and controllers can look very similar at times, when they have different built-in RX TX tech built-in.

Edited by Shin_K

I am listening to the interview currently and I just heard this part where Kevin mentions this.

I hope the NT mini can get this function added as well.looking forward to his response.

@Kevtris

A question form your interview on RetroRGB

You mentioned you’ve learned some secrets about Hybrid Scanlines. Is this something that can be implemented in the Nt mini? Also gamma correction?

• Like 1

I have an unopened one still...wasnting planning to but I think now might be the time to sell it.

I bought two as well thinking I could sell one knowing I'd make enough to bascially get an Nt Mini for free. However, I cannot get myself to sell it now that I have it and some time has passed. I am afraid mine might someday bite the dust and I want a backup. I opened mine though to make sure it wasn't defective.

Edited by Toth

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you have yet to post pictures/video of what it is doing, and pictures of the cable (showing soldering work). It's impossible to diagnose the problem. Also, the AVS doesn't even output analog signals and is HDMI only. Still not sure why you are trying to run composite into a scaler to get HDMI, vs. using the HDMI the nt mini outputs directly. I mean, you're free to do so but it doesn't make much sense to me vs. using native output directly. Be that as it may, it should work OK no matter what. There's plenty of video/images of the analog output quality from the nt mini on the internet so I find it hard to believe it's an nt mini issue.

Whole things doesnt make sense. Also it sucks so damn bad that he decided to drop the cash for a second one? Hate to say it but this is starting to smell a lot like trolling.

• Like 2

I have a classic SNES colored Super NT shipping tomorrow, and I am torn between preordering another because I am not sure if I should get the Super Famicom colored Super NT or the black colored Super NT. The retro colors would be nice, but black matches my flatscreen, PS4, and Xbox.

People just don't pay for emulators generally* unless they come inside something or are integrated into a game they purchase through a game download service.

* I know there are paid emulators like MagicEngine and the emulators Marat Fayzullin put out, but there are other high-compatibility options for those systems that are free.