1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

If you're already getting up to turn it on manually, why not just plug the receiver in every time you use it instead? That's what I do because that blinking LED annoyed the hell outta me too.

Past just plain convenience, less wear & tear on the controller port is one good reason.

I've never heard of somebody wearing out a controller port, but the less plugging-in and unplugging you're doing on a game console, the less wear & tear you're obviously putting the components through. So that's reason enough to avoid it unless you're swapping to a different controller.

I don't think anybody has to be scared to plug a controller in or unplug it later, but taking those cycles well past what a normal user would experience is going to make you more likely to discover an issue in this area.

Edited by Atariboy

Has anyone received a shipping notification for their Super NT yet?

I am signed up for UPS My Choice and got a UPS notification last night. Two items coming from NV from a company called WEBGISTIX/TECHNICOLOR to be delivered on the 12th (to Minnesota). I ordered two of them. I haven't received any notification from Analogue yet.

One says "Order Processed: Ready for UPS" and the other says "In Transit" so they must be going out on several trucks at different times. Or they just forgot to scan my second one.

Edited by Toth

Has anybody received a shipping notification yet? I have SMS notifications enabled and still have not received any update. I pre-ordered back in October 2017, the first day I heard these four words: Analogue + Kevtris + FPGA + SNES.

I got a notification for one of my Super NTs actually yesterday -- a DEPARTURE SCAN notification from Las Vegas. Ironically this receipt was for the second Super NT I ordered - the receipt also gave me the UPS tracking number, something I didn't get on the receipt of my first Super NT. Expected date Feb 13th to NY -- on target for what was averaged out, using the UPS map.

Haven't gotten an actual e-mail confirming shipment however.

Edited by Sho

Just checked UPS, and it shows I have something for Tuesday, the 13th. It's from WEBGISTIX/TECHNICOLOR.

Also shows as Order Processed Ready for UPS and has a tracking number. That number shows it was created yesterday and is awaiting package to arrive at their facility. I know it sounds childish... Whenever I get it delivered, I'm taking it to the UPS store and getting the price to send it to the location it was shipped from. I really want to know if this seven day shipping time on this relatively small package is being priced right, or we are paying more for it. It's important to me.

• Like 1

Can Kevtris or someone who has a Super NT confirm if you can turn on the system remotely with the 8bitdo controller? This is a feature I love on the NT Mini since I keep it along side my home theater equipment and needing to turn the Super NT on or off manually will be a PITA.

What? The mini does that? That's seriously cool. I am probably putting the SNT on my desk, so that wouldn't matter, but you mean I could put it in the bedroom, with a wireless controller and just operate it completely wirelessly? Seriously cool. Now I want to know that too. Didn't hear anyone mention that.

Just checked UPS, and it shows I have something for Tuesday, the 13th. It's from WEBGISTIX/TECHNICOLOR.

Also shows as Order Processed Ready for UPS and has a tracking number. That number shows it was created yesterday and is awaiting package to arrive at their facility. I know it sounds childish... Whenever I get it delivered, I'm taking it to the UPS store and getting the price to send it to the location it was shipped from. I really want to know if this seven day shipping time on this relatively small package is being priced right, or we are paying more for it. It's important to me.

Please do let us know what you find. The shipping really is silly, but it ain't like anyone else is making these things so you just hold your nose I guess :)

What is the most common use for an FPGA? I only know about them due to this project but are there some really well known uses? There must be something more common than what they are being used for here right?

Also, with the Super Nt did Kevtris use a specific Super NES processor to base the FPGA on? Like since there are 1chip models that people seem to say are the best did he base the Super Nt on that or do they all do the same exact thing and it's more the components of the newer board that made that model better so it didn't matter which he chose?

Edit - Nevermind, lol. That My Life in Gaming video explained it. I thought up the question early in the video, LOL.

Edited by Toth

https://youtu.be/fEyF30kenUM?t=9m45s

Jailbreak confirmed!!!!!!!

Edit: also that was a pretty good review but I feel like they spent too much time goofing around in the menu without knowing what the settings do, but at least they showed it off. Also they were asking for a version with rgb out without knowing analogue is working on a dac for the system right now. Hope they didn't turn off any crt fans by leaving out that info.

VERY interesting! Cant wait to hear more about this.

Please do let us know what you find. The shipping really is silly, but it ain't like anyone else is making these things so you just hold your nose I guess :)

You realize if they hire the shipping to an outside company the cost would be more than just shipping correct? I would expect it is worth it to them to hire the work externally.

Byuu has changed his "FPGAs aren't magic" article.
https://byuu.org/articles/fpgas-arent-magic/

I have nothing against the Analogue Super Nt. I think it's a great product. In fact, I'll start by conveying by what I perceive as its benefits.

Over software emulators:

• reduced latency as a result of being a single-purpose device with no OS overhead
  • lower power consumption at the same degree of accuracy as a software equivalent
  • lower cost of ownership if one does not already own a capable PC
  • instant-on capability

Over real hardware:

• HDMI output bypasses the need for expensive XRGBs or analog-RGB CRTs

But it also has its limitations:

• it costs $190; about five times what a real SNES goes for
  • it runs at 60hz instead of the proper 60.09hz of a real SNES
  • no support for video filters, save states, real-time rewind, netplay, MSU1, etc
  • playing unlicensed software requires an expensive flash cartridge
  • cannot be used as a debugger for homebrew, ROM hacks, speedruns, etc
  • if one has a PC: this takes up additional space, a power outlet, and an HDMI port

And of course, higan has its own limitations, in addition to the four things above which the Super Nt does better, it also:

• is incredibly slow
  • has a complex user interface
  • requires copyrighted firmware to run games containing DSP coprocessors
  • is missing some software features of other emulators (netplay and rewind)

The way I see it: there's no such thing as perfection. Everything has its pros and cons. And everyone is going to have different priorities and values. It's a *good* thing that both the Super Nt and higan exist. We can coexist cooperatively instead of competing with one another.

I don't understand why these limitations should be treated as limitations, as is not a point for Super NT to be like a traditional software emulator, also, I'm pretty sure the proper 60.09hz can be done with an external DAC.

Edited by iGom

VERY interesting! Cant wait to hear more about this.

There's nothing to hear more about yet. Ryan's comment in that video was sadly just misinformed speculation, but that shouldn't be a surprise given all of the inaccuracies in that video.

That said... hopefully we get some sort of real confirmation soon! :)

• Like 1

I don't understand why these limitations should be treated as limitations, as is not a point for Super NT to be like a traditional software emulator, also, I'm pretty sure the proper 60.09hz can be done with external DAC.

In many videos and reviews, the different refresh rate modes have been discussed. There is a 60hz "zero-lag" mode, which slightly downclocks the whole system to be more compatible with HDMI and displays. Then there are the 2 "buffered" modes, where the system actually runs at 60.09hz but are adjusted to 60hz with a frame buffer and dropping a frame every so often. I imagine the same thing would happen with an emulator running on a digital monitor.

• Like 2

There's nothing to hear more about yet. Ryan's comment in that video was sadly just misinformed speculation, but that shouldn't be a surprise given all of the inaccuracies in that video.

The MLiG video just said at the very end that Kevtris was "mum" about jailbreak features when asked.

Totally understood. Thats what I mean as well. I cant wait to hear more about this as more credible information becomes available.

If you're already getting up to turn it on manually, why not just plug the receiver in every time you use it instead? That's what I do because that blinking LED annoyed the hell outta me too.

I do but it is a pain in the rear because the fitting on the controller ports is super tight on the nt mini. it does not go in or out easily because the fit is so tight. plus when people come over (mainly friends kids) if a receiver is not plugged in it gets moved and I have to hunt for it.

I don't understand why these limitations should be treated as limitations, as is not a point for Super NT to be like a traditional software emulator, also, I'm pretty sure the proper 60.09hz can be done with an external DAC.

You can choose to do 60.09 in the Super Nt. There are minor tradeoffs though. At around 16:59 of the MLIG review they start talking about it. https://youtu.be/d_OW_t9RXEM?t=1019 Unless you are using an analog source and display there is no way around the limitations. Even an emulator will have minor issues I think due to the HDMI and the frame buffer that is required.

Edited by Toth