1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Apparently some early hdmi crt's (yeah I didn't know those existed) might've had bad EDID information or something that prevents them working right. Since it's impractical for me to test one of these, I cannot fix it. If someone sends me an EDID dump, I will give it a look to see if I can figure anything out.

What about my idea to implement a hotkey (the combination of buttons on the controller, or on the Super Nt itself) to change the video mode without using the menu? So that people with these early HD CRTs (and maybe for other emergency situations) would not have to look for a newer TV just to change settings each time a new firmware is released?

And could you answer my question here, please, I would really love to know that. :)

Kevtris, what is hiolding the bottom rubber pad in place? Just some glue? I like to open things up, but if its held by glue then I won't bother.

It's got some adhesive holding it on. I saw someone on a video peel it back to get to the screws. I dunno how that affects the warranty if you do this though.

• Like 2

Nothing frugal about paying $200 for a HD SNES lol. I'm not Mr. Money bags, but if I'm going to invest in products like the Super NT then I will make sure I'm getting the most out of it, within reason of course.

With all due respect Snatcher, in our household we tend to be frugal and keep using stuff until it breaks.

[...]

I work hard for the money and the fact I'd rather buy a Super NT with $200 of disposable income, than to upgrade my current TV and do without a new console, is my peroggative.

Someone needs to work on their reading comprehension. I'm done arguing with you.

Having worked on custom ASICs the answer is definitely yes. It is just economics as the ASIC mask is extremely expensive and high volumes would be needed to make it profitable for Analogue. Also note simple changes for hardware fixes can be done cheaply (compared to a new mask). They are called Engineering Change Orders where I worked. ECOs are lots of work for the engineering team but certainly an option for the simple fixes or even if initial chip is completely unusable. It's all economics/volumes that decide if ECOs make sense.

It's an inevitability that one or both will happen at some point:

1) Some Chinese bootleg factory will try to use the FPGA code to make their own SNOAC/NOAC and thus you will start seeing $90 Retrons made from $4 worth of parts.

2) Nintendo, or some third party (eg Capcom or Konami, which both produce arcade hardware) will licence the FPGA code and produce their own chips to make Arcade "throw back" boards that can be installed in the original arcade cabinet's with a HDMI screen, or make a much cheaper NES/SNES -mini classic like device that feature just their companies games.

There is certainly a market for plug-and-play stuff, seeing as how Nintendo can't keep the things in stock, but I imagine that SquareEnix, Capcom, Konami, and pretty much everyone else would love to produce their own little box that they can cut Nintendo completely out of. Imagine a production run of a box that plays every fighting game released for the SNES, Sega Genesis, and Arcade designed for low-latency input.

But hey, there's certainly a market, FPGA or ASIC to make the retro hardware live again that isn't currently met by software emulation of the Virtual Console. It would very much be in the interests of these companies to standardize on one device (eg the Super NT) but it doesn't necessarily mean they will want to produce new cartridges. They may very much be interested in producing SD cards with the games on it, provided there isn't a way to re-dump the games, or maybe they just don't care, knowing that there are plenty of illegal dumps out there anyway.

Someone needs to work on their reading comprehension. I'm done arguing with you.

Its not an arguement. Just having a discussion. If you work hard for your money then you deserve to treat yourself to a better display than that Sanyo LCD. Its been 10 yrs, you are due for an upgrade.

Anyways, thanks for the replies. I was simply curious. Enjoy your Super NT,

Its not an arguement. Just having a discussion. If you work hard for your money then you deserve to treat yourself to a better display than that Sanyo LCD. Its been 10 yrs, you are due for an upgrade.

Anyways, thanks for the replies. I was simply curious. Enjoy your Super NT,

How to Get Off the Upgrade Treadmill and Stop Wasting Money on New Tech (Lifehacker article)

• Like 4

I Upload now two videos, how good quality video ANALOGUE NT MINI producing, first we have composite video, compared to Twin Famicom.

Please tell me what you think, later we compared more videos like S-video, component and RGB. I use latest Firmwares with Framemeister and Analogue NT Mini. This is my second console what I send back to Analogue and same problems is this new one.

First video is here:

Here is compared to Twin Famicom much better video quality than NT Mini:

Edited by RadikusRLZ

I haven't upgraded since 2010, because I invested in a nice display. I don't quite think quite get where I was coming from. No, I don't believe people should upgrade just because there is something new, but when the display you own was low quality 10 yrs back I think its time to upgrade. Nothing unreasonable about that.

Hey Kev,

I saw in Bob's interview that the Super Nt can handle old SNES/SFC copiers. I believe you mentioned the UFO copier, if I'm not mistaken. Have you, or anyone else, tried a 3201 Super Magicom, or Super Wild Card DX specifically though?

The ones I have are fully powered by the SNES/SFC, and have no additional power supply to power the units (with internal 3.5" / 1.44Mb floppy drive).

I've been using them on and off since 1992, and even though I own most of the original carts, and a SD2SNES, I'm still very fond of the old copiers and would love to try them on the Super Nt... safely. :)

I should be getting my Super Nt on Tuesday, and I really look forward to checking it out.

Thank you for all of your brilliant work on it!

post-16255-0-05588400-1518391745_thumb.jpg

post-16255-0-25681700-1518391756.jpg

post-16255-0-95796800-1518391780_thumb.jpg

I Upload now two videos, how good quality video ANALOGUE NT MINI producing, first we have composite video, compared to Twin Famicom.

Please tell me what you think, later we compared more videos like S-video, component and RGB. I use latest Firmwares with Framemeister and Analogue NT Mini. This is my second console what I send back to Analogue and same problems is this new one.

Fist video is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsyHCRMKiyw&feature=youtu.be

Second is coming later... today

Why are you taking the worst possible output from the NT Mini and passing it through a Framemeister when it outputs HDMI natively, since you are ultimately obtaining an HDMI signal anyways?

I haven't upgraded since 2010, because I invested in a nice display. I don't quite think quite get where I was coming from. No, I don't believe people should upgrade just because there is something new, but when the display you own was low quality 10 yrs back I think its time to upgrade. Nothing unreasonable about that.

You know...

I stuck with my 2005 laptop until like 2015, when it would no longer boot up

I stuck with my Samsung LCD monitor from 2008 until last year when I bought a 4K monitor. The secondary monitor was originally a TN monitor that went "bang" one day and was replaced with a BenQ monitor, roughly around 2010, where as the previous monitor was bought in 2006. The lifespan of a computer monitor that gets a lot of use is roughly 10 years. Same with a laptop.

Most consumer electronics are good for at least 7 years, but each product should only be replaced when it doesn't do what you need it to do. I'm compelled to replace my 2012 iPad because the software is pretty slow, and Apple hasn't updated iOS for in in 2 years, but because it hasn't hit the right amount of time I believe for it to be obsolete, I'm not replacing it right now. Likewise the desktop I have now was upgraded incrementally based on the requirements of the software I was running, not because I felt I needed something newer. I only have USB 3.0 ports on my current desktop case because I had to get a bigger case to fit the video card. I had the previous case since 2006 or so.

A lot of failure on the "3D screen" marketing can be laid directly at the feet of the manufacturers who rolled these screens out to give the crappy theater experience an even crappier home experience. Nobody standardized on 3D glasses, let the market decide, and the market decided that 3D sucks.

Likewise the market has decided that VR sucks, again. People do not want to invest in the hardware, the HMD or reserve a 12'x12' living space to play the games. No standard HMD, No standard input devices (clunky wiimote-like controller systems.) The power glove was in fact the right input device for VR all along, but somehow we're trying to do it with cameras and no haptic feedback.

So, us, the people that like Retro games, be it because that's the games we like, or have a nostalgia-tinted rose colored glasses on, are the very last people that should be going "upgrade your stuff", because we know that replacing the SNES hardware with it's original controllers and CRT with a RPi plugged into a HDTV, connected to whatever rubbish usb/bluetooth controller is not a reasonable thing at all. It's like saying "Hey ma, I'm going to replace your Vintage car that gets low fuel milage with a Prius that has all these fancy features" when all "Ma" wants is to get in the car and turn the key, and she was doing just fine with the vintage car.

Edited by Kismet
  • Like 2

You know...

I stuck with my 2005 laptop until like 2015, when it would no longer boot up

I stuck with my Samsung LCD monitor from 2008 until last year when I bought a 4K monitor. The secondary monitor was originally a TN monitor that went "bang" one day and was replaced with a BenQ monitor, roughly around 2010, where as the previous monitor was bought in 2006. The lifespan of a computer monitor that gets a lot of use is roughly 10 years. Same with a laptop.

Most consumer electronics are good for at least 7 years, but each product should only be replaced when it doesn't do what you need it to do. I'm compelled to replace my 2012 iPad because the software is pretty slow, and Apple hasn't updated iOS for in in 2 years, but because it hasn't hit the right amount of time I believe for it to be obsolete, I'm not replacing it right now. Likewise the desktop I have now was upgraded incrementally based on the requirements of the software I was running, not because I felt I needed something newer. I only have USB 3.0 ports on my current desktop case because I had to get a bigger case to fit the video card. I had the previous case since 2006 or so.

A lot of failure on the "3D screen" marketing can be laid directly at the feet of the manufacturers who rolled these screens out to give the crappy theater experience an even crappier home experience. Nobody standardized on 3D glasses, let the market decide, and the market decided that 3D sucks.

Likewise the market has decided that VR sucks, again. People do not want to invest in the hardware, the HMD or reserve a 12'x12' living space to play the games. No standard HMD, No standard input devices (clunky wiimote-like controller systems.) The power glove was in fact the right input device for VR all along, but somehow we're trying to do it with cameras and no haptic feedback.

So, us, the people that like Retro games, be it because that's the games we like, or have a nostalgia-tinted rose colored glasses on, are the very last people that should be going "upgrade your stuff", because we know that replacing the SNES hardware with it's original controllers and CRT with a RPi plugged into a HDTV, connected to whatever rubbish usb/bluetooth controller is not a reasonable thing at all. It's like saying "Hey ma, I'm going to replace your Vintage car that gets low fuel milage with a Prius that has all these fancy features" when all "Ma" wants is to get in the car and turn the key, and she was doing just fine with the vintage car.

If you invested money on quality products then they tend to last much longer before an upgrade is needed. I would love an OLED, but I'm in no hurry. I want the tech to mature a bit more before I upgrade.

LCD tech has made huge strides in improvements since 2006. Even the cheapest of LCDs from TCL and Vizio would blow away a Sanyo from 2006.

Edited by SegaSnatcher

If you invested money on quality products then they tend to last much longer before an upgrade is needed. I would love an OLED, but I'm in no hurry. I want the tech to mature a bit more before I upgrade.

LCD tech has made huge strides in improvements since 2006. Even the cheapest of LCDs from TCL and Vizio would blow away a Sanyo from 2006.

OLED's have very poor life spans right now, so I would avoid them for anything but "movie" screens. You don't want to watch the news or play games that have a persistent HUD on them because the OLED's get screen burn in really quickly.

I think OLED's may have some use for screens that are not in constant use, but they're certainly terrible as mobile and always on "TV" screens.

• Like 1

This 49" TCL 405 model has 14ms of input lag and only costs $330. Come on, no excuses to still be using crap displays.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-49-class-48-5-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-roku-tv/5878701.p?skuId=5878701

LOL, nobody is saying to keep up with the Jones. I'm just saying you will never experience the full potential of the Super NT with your current display. If you don't care then thats fine, but I just think you deserve better.

Why are you taking the worst possible output from the NT Mini and passing it through a Framemeister when it outputs HDMI natively, since you are ultimately obtaining an HDMI signal anyways?

ITT: bunch of people telling each other how they should or should't be enjoying their games. :sleep:

• Like 3

OLED's have very poor life spans right now, so I would avoid them for anything but "movie" screens. You don't want to watch the news or play games that have a persistent HUD on them because the OLED's get screen burn in really quickly.

I think OLED's may have some use for screens that are not in constant use, but they're certainly terrible as mobile and always on "TV" screens.

That is exactly the reason I want the tech to mature and improve before I invest in one. I'm thinking 2020 should be about the time any major concerns with burn in should be allevated for the most part. Also, prices will be cheaper.

One argument for jumping on the Super Nt upgrade now and not worrying about other aspects of the AV chain:

The Super Nt looks to be the ultimate SNES for a modern display, and that is unlikely to change much going forward. Analogue products also have a tendency to stop being made after a few runs. So it makes total sense to invest in a Super Nt right now for the long term, and then the TV upgrade can come later at a time when it makes sense for other reasons.

• Like 1

The LG OLED lifetime for the 2017 models is 100,000 hours, which is way more than anybody will ever need.

The burn in issues are from leaving a single static image up for multiple weeks, not "really quickly". Nobody is seeing burn-in from real world use unless they leave their tv on some news channel 24/7 with a logo that never changes, or use their OLED as a computer monitor with no screensaver. Gaming in real world scenarios is not an issue.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test

(this test has been happening for two weeks and there are no visible issues yet)

Edited by cacophony

If you invested money on quality products then they tend to last much longer before an upgrade is needed.

Yes, the original SNES was a quality product. Mine is still going strong. The Super NT is also a quality product. I suspect it will outlive all the janky 3-in-1s, 5-in-1s, sd, hd, emulation boxes, etc.

Even the cheapest of LCDs from TCL and Vizio would blow away a Sanyo from 2006.

If you think you're being clever by insulting my TV, get over it. Nearly everyone on this forum has been hoarding equipment that most people would consider old junk. So please get of your high horse. The telivision set still serves it's primary function. My mom is watching the winter olympics on it right now, currently hooked up to our Comcast cable box using component cables. And the image quality is fine for our purpose.
  • Like 2

The LG OLED lifetime for the 2017 models is 100,000 hours, which is way more than anybody will ever need.

The burn in issues are from leaving a single static image up for multiple weeks. Nobody is seeing burn-in from real world use unless they leave their tv on some news channel 24/7 with a logo that never changes, or use their OLED as a computer monitor with no screensaver. Gaming in real world scenarios is not an issue.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test

(this test has been happening for two weeks and there are no visible issues yet)

I takes 5 weeks to destroy a OLED

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/permanent-image-retention-burn-in-lcd-oled

• Like 1

Who the f**k are you to tell others how they should play their own games?

I'm simply advising people to at least get their setup in order first to truly be able to take advantage of such high quality devices like the Super NT. I mean seriously, whats the point buying a Super NT if you are just going to run it through a Display that was craptastic 10 yrs ago, let alone 2018? Kevtris's work deserves to be fully appreciated in all its glory.