1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

This is not true from my experience. I have found the AVS (which only does 720p) looks fabulous on my ultra low latency 1080p ASUS Monitor with 3x height and 4x width integer scale with 50% scanlines. It really depends on the quality of the scalar if your tv will look good or not. Also if your TV set is overscanning or molesting the signal in other ways, it can look worse.

Scaling 720p to 1080p is the exact same “molesting” overscan simulation does when it slightly crops a 1080p image on a 1080p-native display: non-integer scaling.

The problem with scanlines and non-integer scales is that a non-integer scale makes the rows of pixels different thicknesses. While this might look OK without scanlines do to solid colors that match the pixel above or below, there is a big difference with scanlines. With scanlines of varying thickness you are also varying the brightness between rows of pixels and you get horizontal bands of alternating bright and dark areas. Also, the scaling algorithm that tries to interpolate scanline and pixel detail will create scaling artifacts and moire effects (screen-door artifacts).

Even the best scaler would have to blend colored pixels and black scanlines to scale an image with proper scanlines to a non-integer output and avoid having thick and thin scanlines. This will result in less definition, more softness, and no sharp pixels. You simply must aim for a non-integer scale for scanlines to look right, even if some scalers make it look better or more even than others.

In short, scanlines are really only an option for integer scales. If you can’t disable all forms of non-integer scaling including overscan simulation, it’s not going to look right. Don’t judge scanlines based on non-integer scales.

Edited by CZroe

If getting sued by Nintendo for enabling piracy of carts not sold in 25 years was a real danger, how are SD2SNES and Everdrives sold openly without issue?

Sometimes just the lawsuits themselves are enough to crush a small company. Think like Bleem! back in the day - Sony didn't need to win lawsuits, they just needed to crush them into the ground with legal fees until they cried uncle.

Lots of the gray market stuff (like DS flashcarts) come from places with bad IP policing (like China). Even then, third-party resellers in the US have been forced to stop selling them due to a legal cease and desist demand.

There's a lot of reasons Analogue might not want to expose themselves to unnecessary risk. Notice the guys behind the Retron 5 (which uses poached Retroarch code) also didn't risk ROM loading from the SD card slot, ostensibly also for legal reasons. I swear I read that in an interview somewhere but I can't find it now.

Edited by GreenMonkey

I'm quite pleased with how the Super NT has turned out, and I look forward to any future developments that new firmware revisions may include.

If I may make one obscure request, and I don't know how viable it is, but I'd like to see some future firmware with the ability to manage the contents of the old Super Famicom Memory carts, used with the Nintendo Power kiosks. I realize that's probably veering into the sort of uses Analogue can't officially condone, but I think it'd be neat to be able to dump and rewrite the contents of those old, official flash carts.

Yes! Nintendo’s own Nintendo Power Stations are long defunct. I’d love to put Super Famicom Wars on one of these (the only legitimate way it was ever available).

Its not the carts that matter, its the IP. With the SNES Classic Edition having sold millions and millions since the end of September, I have to assume you are being deliberately disingenuous when you behave as if this is just about piracy affecting *cartridge* sales. You KNOW thats not a valid point. Look no further than the demonstrated retail viability of the NES CE and SNES CE if you need proof that the IP is still worth something (extremely valuable, even).

The answer regarding SD2SNES and Everdrive should be obvious but thats already explained here:

Nintendo pitched a legal fit about Game Boy Xchanger, Professor SF/Game Doctor, Super Wildcats DX2, Doctor V64, V64jr, CD64, Mr. Backup Z64, and so many others. Its safe to assume that their stance on cartridge hardware for playing ROMs probably hasnt changed. Its not safe to assume that they dont care, even if they dont. It looks like Analogue and Kevtris are playing it safe. Nintendo isnt the only rights holder who might try to assert their rights over a feature like that.

Ever wonder why Hyperkin doesnt allow the RetroN5 to play ROM dumps downloaded from the Internet even though its obviously capable? They want to be a legitimate product on shelves in legitimate stores. Seems that the provider of their emulators failed to secure proper rights to the emulators used in that product and it created a lot of drama. Luckily, Kevtris and Analogue dont have to worry about that kind of drama and they are actively preventing any drama regarding the ability to play downloaded ROMs.

Are you being willfully obtuse? American retailers are selling Everdrives and other flash carts without complaint from Nintendo. The NT Mini was openly jailbroken by Kevtris himself with no complaint from Nintendo.

Heh I can provide that if you like. :) But yeah my entire point though was about the Super Gameboy Enhanced games.

We already got GB/GBC in hi-def with the NT-Mini, but it obviously couldn't do the SNES enhancements.. which is a cool offshoot of the Super NT I didn't even think about until I tried it. :)

I believe Killer Instinct, Street Fighter II, and maybe World Heroes 2 JET supported using two SNES controllers for the GB game with a Super GB. I don’t have any of those games or a GB Everdrive and my Bung Doctor GB Card has been long busted. Any way you could test that for us?

I understand what you’re saying but you never know when Nintendo is going to suddenly assert themselves, like with the NES Classic Edition suddenly triggering their concern for knock-off NES controllers (despite them being on the market for several years).

Kevtris is American (Indiana) and so is Analogue (Washington). Krikzz/Everdrives (Ukraine), Super UFO (China), Bung (Hong Kong), etc generally operate beyond Nintendo’s reach and Bunny actually stopped making the Power Pak. Even before that, he stopped blatantly selling Nintendo World Championships bootlegs due to increased scrutiny (it definitely wasn’t legal). If the Power Pak were marketed even half as much as the Super Nt was then I would think it’s very possible to end up in Nintendo’s cross-hairs, especially as they roll out the SNES Classic and Switch Virtual Console (assuming it happens).

It seems to me that American companies and individuals have to be extra careful with this stuff. It’s reasonable that Analogue and Kevtris are doing exactly that. They want to stay above-board and beyond reproach all while giving us exactly what we wanted.

retrousb still sells nes powerpak and nwc carts and they are still available for sale right now in the shop. super powerpak has been oos for a while though.

Are you being willfully obtuse? American retailers are selling Everdrives and other flash carts without complaint from Nintendo. The NT Mini was openly jailbroken by Kevtris himself with no complaint from Nintendo.

Guess I’ll just go down to GameStop and buy an Everdrive. Who’s being obtuse again?

Don’t argue that Analogue doesn’t have higher ambitions with their marketing campaign. Have you seen YouTube lately?!

Seeing these products at a couple enthusiast-oriented online-only retailers like Stone Age Gamer is not as mainstream as seeing Hypekin products at GameStop. I can list several US and non-US “retailers” that have been forced to stop selling similar products after drawing Nintendo’s ire with very similar products. I’m not pulling this out of my rear.

Upstate Games

Carl Industries

DealExtreme (moved them to VolumeRate)

Lik-Sang (finally buried by Sony over gray-market PSP imports)

...the list goes on.

I’ve *personally* had my eBay account suspended for trying to sell a Bung product around 2003. It happened again when I mentioned the particularly large “mask ROM” when selling my copy of Tales of Phantasia around 2005. That’s right: Because I said “ROM.”

Need more examples of how touchy it is here? PayPal blocked payments to several modders including GameTechUS based on assumptions about the Hi-Def NES “mod,” which hits particularly close to home with this project. Heck, just the other day I had to download TurboRip (TurboGrafx/PC Engine CD-ROM² imaging tool) from an alternate source and got virus warnings because PayPal forced the author to remove links if he wanted to keep his donation link up... all while completely ignoring that it’s literally no different than using iTunes to rip a CD and that IMGBurn goes even farther (free CD image burning, ripping, and creation software but their donation link is still up).

Admit it: You know I’m 100% right about this. Don’t be stubborn. How much more proof do you need? Why do YOU think American companies and individuals are being so careful? How many other American companies are promoting their similar products to millions all over YouTube? MarshallH still makes a flash cart (64Drive) but you don’t see him pushing it. Besides, his website’s TLD clearly indicates he’s in Belgium. ;)

Edited by CZroe

Kevtris, if you see this, by the way, thank you for engineering such a great product. After all the discussion on here and derailment of this thread, I just had to let you know. I'm selling both my original NES and SNES consoles because of your making such a quality product. Analogue may have fronted the money, but you're the brains behind these consoles. Thank you for saving us so much money on work arounds for the growing problems with video output on modern hardware. You breathed new life into our old games!

• Like 6

Guess Ill just go down to GameStop and buy an Everdrive. Whos being obtuse again?

Dont argue that Analogue doesnt have higher ambitions with their marketing campaign. Have you seen YouTube lately?!

Seeing these products at a couple enthusiast-oriented online-only retailers like Stone Age Gamer is not as mainstream as seeing Hypekin products at GameStop. I can list several US and non-US retailers that have been forced to stop selling similar products after drawing Nintendos ire with very similar products. Im not pulling this out of my rear.

Upstate Games

Carl Industries

DealExtreme (moved them to VolumeRate)

Lik-Sang (finally buried by Sony over gray-market PSP imports)

...the list goes on.

Ive *personally* had my eBay account suspended for trying to sell a Bung product around 2003. It happened again when I mentioned the particularly large mask ROM when selling my copy of Tales of Phantasia around 2005. Thats right: Because I said ROM.

Need more examples of how touchy it is here? PayPal blocked payments to several modders including GameTechUS based on assumptions about the Hi-Def NES mod, which hits particularly close to home with this project. Heck, just the other day I had to download TurboRip (TurboGrafx/PC Engine CD-ROM² imaging tool) from an alternate source and got virus warnings because PayPal forced the author to remove links if he wanted to keep his donation link up... all while completely ignoring that its literally no different than using iTunes to rip a CD and that IMGBurn goes even farther (free CD image burning, ripping, and creation software but their donation link is still up).

Admit it: You know Im 100% right about this. Dont be stubborn. How much more proof do you need? MarshallH still makes a flash cart (64Drive) but his website clearly says RetroActive.be

Nothing you just said refutes the fact that the NT Mini was openly jailbroken by Kevtris without issue and American retailers are selling flash carts. You are aware Gamestop isn't the only American retailer of games, right?

They also do sell repro carts by the way, because they make zero effort to check if a trade-in cart is legit and then sell it. The last 5 carts I bought from them were repros. But that's beside the point.

An unadvertised aftermarket jailbreak for a legitimate product that clearly isn't designed primarily for piracy is not going to draw a lawsuit, and if it did hiding behind anonymity regarding something so easily traceable isn't going to protect anyone.

retrousb still sells nes powerpak and nwc carts and they are still available for sale right now in the shop. super powerpak has been oos for a while though.

Word was that he recently stopped producing Power Paks, hence, the SNES Power Pak being sold out. NES may just be residual stock. Regarding NWC, he no longer sells the gold or gray versions and the ones he’s selling now are deliberately made to look different, hence, no longer counterfeit bootlegs.

Nothing you just said refutes the fact that the NT Mini was openly jailbroken by Kevtris without issue and American retailers are selling flash carts. You are aware Gamestop isn't the only American retailer of games, right?

They also do sell repro carts by the way, because they make zero effort to check if a trade-in cart is legit and then sell it. The last 5 carts I bought from them were repros. But that's beside the point.

An unadvertised aftermarket jailbreak for a legitimate product that clearly isn't designed primarily for piracy is not going to draw a lawsuit, and if it did hiding behind anonymity regarding something so easily traceable isn't going to protect anyone.

Thanks for agreeing with me. I already explained what was likely behind the change (more marketing emphasis on Kevtris’ involvement). Sorry there aren’t more national game retailers selling similar products in the USA, so GameStop is the only example you got. Funny, because it’s not like you can buy SD2SNES and Super Everdrive at Best Buy it Wal-Mart. I mentioned GameStop also because it was a reasonable goal. If Analogue plays their cards right then they can get in at least the same places Hyperkin has. Last I checked, you couldn’t buy Hyperkin products at Best Buy or Wal-Mart either.

Now, I’m curious: What US retailer “openly” sells Super Everdrive and SD2SNES to mainstream shoppers? If you say “Stone Age Gamer” and you think that’s any different than the past examples in the history lesson that I gave you, well, then your hard-headedness is on full display for everyone to see.

GameStop of unknowingly selling repros does not validate your argument any more than pointing out how long it’s been since they were sold new in stores. GameStop has actually been selling bootlegs even when the new cartridges were still available in stores: Back in 2004 I documented GBA bootlegs at every single GameStop I checked (first started seeing them in 2003). Neither GameStop nor the previous owners were even aware that they were bootlegs.

See? I can be obtuse too. Calling me obtuse when you know that everything I said was true smacks of the guy with terrible breath cluelessly saying that your breath stinks to goad you into a fight. He thinks people say it to rile him up when he gets in their face when it’s actually because they are normally polite enough to not mention it... but obviously not during a fight.

Someone called you obtuse, it stung, and now you think it works the other way around. [emoji3]

You approached this with the assumption that you were right. You obviously haven’t considered it as deeply as I have. Now you’ve demonstrated how little you truly know about it while simultaneously digging in your heels on everything else. Just bow out, dude. You can’t just go to GameStop and get an SD2SNES. You could go there to get a Hyperkin RetroN5. Some day, you may be able to go there and get an Analogue product. It’s why they are being so careful.

Edited by CZroe

gameboy has no built in reset function so you need to power cycle the everdrive to change the rom. pressing reset on real hardware only restarts the loaded game. why you expect different behavior from the super nt?

Yes, I know this.

Which is why I was asking for a way to power cycle the SNT from the SNT menu.

Is there a way to power cycle the Super Nt from the menu/setting?

The Game Boy dev library defaults to resetting by pressing A, B, Start, and Select simultaneously. Some early games, like Castlevania Adventure, ignore this, but most will either reset or pull up a save dialog.

Just in case anyone wants IGR for their Game Boy games and doesn’t know this. :) TurboGrafx does something similar with Run and Select.

Thanks. I was aware of the IGR, but the "issue" that people will run into when using a GB EverDrive in their Super Game Boy, is that they won't be able to get back to the game menu without powering off the Super Nt. Both, the built-in SGB IGR, and starting a Super Turrican game from the SNT menu, and then restarting the SGB, will send you right back to the last game loaded on it, and require you to physically press the SNT power button off and on, to get back to the GB EverDrive.

What I, and at least one other member were suggesting, and if at all possible, is a way to select an option from the Super Nt menu which would reset the state of the inserted cartridge, in this particular case a Super Game Boy, to mimick the system being powered off, and then back on again.

This would allow the EverDrive inside of the Super Game Boy to go back to the game list menu, so you could then choose anther game.

Is there a better thread for reporting possible bugs, or suggesting features. It seems like most are getting buried.

Thanks for agreeing with me. I already explained what was likely behind the change (more marketing emphasis on Kevtris involvement). Sorry there arent more national game retailers selling similar products in the USA, so GameStop is the only example you got. Funny, because its not like you can buy SD2SNES and Super Everdrive at Best Buy it Wal-Mart. I mentioned GameStop also because it was a reasonable goal. If Analogue plays their cards right then they can get in at least the same places Hyperkin has. Last I checked, you couldnt buy Hyperkin products at Best Buy or Wal-Mart either.

Now, Im curious: What US retailer openly sells Super Everdrive and SD2SNES to mainstream shoppers? If you say Stone Age Gamer and you think thats any different than the past examples in the history lesson that I gave you, well, then your hard-headedness is on full display for everyone to see.

GameStop of unknowingly selling repros does not validate your argument any more than pointing out how long its been since they were sold new in stores. GameStop has actually been selling bootlegs even when the new cartridges were still available in stores: Back in 2004 I documented GBA bootlegs at every single GameStop I checked (first started seeing them in 2003). Neither GameStop nor the previous owners were even aware that they were bootlegs.

See? I can be obtuse too. Calling me obtuse when you know that everything I said was true smacks of the guy with terrible breath cluelessly saying that your breath stinks to goad you into a fight. He thinks people say it to rile him up when he gets in their face when its actually because they are normally polite enough to not mention it... but obviously not during a fight.

Someone called you obtuse, it stung, and now you think it works the other way around. :D

You approached this with the assumption that you were right. You obviously havent considered it as deeply as I have. Now youve demonstrated how little you truly know about it while simultaneously digging in your heels on everything else. Just bow out, dude. You cant just go to GameStop and get an SD2SNES. You could go there to get a Hyperkin RetroN5. Some day, you may be able to go there and get an Analogue product. Its why they are being so careful.

You're not making any points, that's the problem. Once again, facts: the Analogue NT Mini was openly jailbroken by Kevtris without repercussions. American retailers are selling flash carts and repros without repercussions. Citing a bunch of retailers that don't sell them does nothing to invalidate those facts. You might want to spend more time on this.

• Like 1

+1 =]

Kevtris, if you see this, by the way, thank you for engineering such a great product. After all the discussion on here and derailment of this thread, I just had to let you know. I'm selling both my original NES and SNES consoles because of your making such a quality product. Analogue may have fronted the money, but you're the brains behind these consoles. Thank you for saving us so much money on work arounds for the growing problems with video output on modern hardware. You breathed new life into our old games!

+2 :thumbsup:

People have asked about being able to power the cart only, but unfortunately this is not possible. When power is turned on, the cartridge is powered too. This function cannot be added without a pcb/hardware change. I never envisioned anyone would ever want to turn the power to just the cart off and back on. The sd2snes returns to the menu if you hold reset for 2 seconds or so, and I think super everdrive does as well, which I figured was "good enough" .

• Like 6

You're not making any points, that's the problem. Once again, facts: the Analogue NT Mini was openly jailbroken by Kevtris without repercussions. American retailers are selling flash carts and repros without repercussions. Citing a bunch of retailers that don't sell them does nothing to invalidate those facts. You might want to spend more time on this.

LOL! Digging in your heels, I see.

Now, why would I refute Kevtris’ earlier jailbreak? I incorporated it into the bigger picture and even explained what was different then versus now: His involvement is being directly marketed, more than ever. His statements confirming a jailbreak can be interpreted as Analogue selling the Super Nt on that promise, which would open up that “primary purpose” argument for any would-be litigators.

Good job, attempting to use my own fact with another made-up “fact” and, thus, not being able to make a point with it.

I cited a bunch of suppliers that ONCE sold them and were forced out of business or forced to stop due to legal pressure. Did you ignore those? I even included AMERICAN suppliers, like Upstate Games and Carl Industries.

Is it hard to breathe with your head that deep in the sand? Care to list the “American retailers” that are selling SD2SNES and Super Everdrive “all over?” Curious, because I’m pretty sure you’re talking about Ryan at Stone Age Gamer, *individuals* who sell them elsewhere (got my first one from a fleamarket), and independent shops that fly under the radar (the odd indie game store and not a large chain retailer worried about their relationship with Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft). I’m right, aren’t I? Am I right? Yeah, I’m right.

Edited by CZroe

Kevtris, I know you are busy fixing some bugs, but I was just curious about something. I'm not asking you to confirm any future projects, but hypothetically lets say sometime down the road you were to implement a Genesis via FPGA. What do you think is going to be the biggest challenge for you? The FM audio, CPU, VDP? Do you feel it might be a bit less challenging than the SNES was? Also, if you were to complete a Genesis core would that at all give you a nice head start for a potential Neo-Geo core as well since there are some similariities between the two consoles.

I totally understand if you are too busy to answer these questions. Keep up the great work Kevtris, I absolutely love my Super NT.

People have asked about being able to power the cart only, but unfortunately this is not possible. When power is turned on, the cartridge is powered too. This function cannot be added without a pcb/hardware change. I never envisioned anyone would ever want to turn the power to just the cart off and back on. The sd2snes returns to the menu if you hold reset for 2 seconds or so, and I think super everdrive does as well, which I figured was "good enough" .

If you’re talking about being able to reset the Super Game Boy remotely and being able to reset and reinitialize memory: Yeah, that’s just us being spoiled by in-game reset options, big screens, and wireless controllers. That reset button is just far enough away to be a FWP for some of us. [emoji4]

Doesn’t really bother me though.

Edited by CZroe

Kevtris, I know you are busy fixing some bugs, but I was just curious about something. I'm not asking you to confirm any future projects, but hypothetically lets say sometime down the road you were to implement a Genesis via FPGA. What do you think is going to be the biggest challenge for you? The FM audio, CPU, VDP? Do you feel it might be a bit less challenging than the SNES was? Also, if you were to complete a Genesis core would that at all give you a nice head start for a potential Neo-Geo core as well since there are some similariities between the two consoles.

I totally understand if you are too busy to answer these questions. Keep up the great work Kevtris, I absolutely love my Super NT.

You know, one advantage to releasing them for free in a way that can’t be tied to the company is that porting MIST cores would be legitimately for non-commercial use and he doesn’t even have to code his own from the ground up. There’s supposedly a good Genesis FPGA core with accurate sound already.

As for the Neo Geo: We already know he’s done a Z80, so there’s one chip down. [emoji6] He already said during a live stream that Neo Geo would be straight forward because everything is accomplished through brute force, not complexity. I think the biggest hurdle for an FPGA Omega console is just the sheer number of pins Neo Geo requires. Might need some kind of multiplexer or multiple FPGAs to pull it off with support for original cartridges. Don’t know if that affect feasibility, but if any platform can justify increased cost, it’s that one. Totally fits with Analogue’s last offerings too (CMVS Neo Geo systems). With FPGA, they could do their first AES. [emoji4]

Edited by CZroe

gameboy has no built in reset function so you need to power cycle the everdrive to change the rom. pressing reset on real hardware only restarts the loaded game. why you expect different behavior from the super nt?

It's a moot point in light of the recent post from Kevtris. That said, the AtariAger you replied to is aware and doesn't expect it to behave differently on the Super NT. That's why he's asking about a power cycle option from the menu in the first place, in order to work around how the Game Boy Everdrive behaves so that he can more easily change games.

Really, if you don't want modern conveniences here, that's fine (Although it puzzles me ever so slightly why someone not interested in the features the Super NT can do that a SNES can't, is interested in the Super NT then when original hardware exists and is cheaper). But it's also fine if other people want modern conveniences with their Super Nintendo gaming.

High definition support, advanced scaling solutions, wireless controllers, SD rom support, the ability to power cycle the cartridge slot from the controller itself to hop back to the Everdrive menu to load a different game, etc. They're all fine, even if not everyone is personally interested in every last feature.

Edited by Atariboy

Dunno, the 68K is probably the worst part. Other than that, I don't think it's as complex as the SNES was but I am sure it has lots of quirks and weird things too. I have done FM before and video so I don't think it will be too terrible or out of that out of the ordinary. The worse part is people wouldn't like if it didn't run sega CD or the 32x, which it most likely wouldn't do. It'd be stock genesis only. That's not to say it wouldn't have expansion for the cd, but it definitely would never support the 32X because it'd need to output analog RGB, then re-capture analog RGB from the 32x for its video overlay. So I suspect the bitching would be epic if I didn't support those things. I could be wrong and it has happened before :-)

• Like 10

Dunno, the 68K is probably the worst part. Other than that, I don't think it's as complex as the SNES was but I am sure it has lots of quirks and weird things too. I have done FM before and video so I don't think it will be too terrible or out of that out of the ordinary. The worse part is people wouldn't like if it didn't run sega CD or the 32x, which it most likely wouldn't do. It'd be stock genesis only. That's not to say it wouldn't have expansion for the cd, but it definitely would never support the 32X because it'd need to output analog RGB, then re-capture analog RGB from the 32x for its video overlay. So I suspect the bitching would be epic if I didn't support those things. I could be wrong and it has happened before :-)

I'd be perfectly happy with a solid, reliable Genesis. If it could work with an official Sega CD add-on that'd be even better, but hardly essential (to me). If it could work with a CD add-on that was also sold by hypothetical manufacturer, that'd also be cool. In the case of 32x, I think it's not unfair to say "this was a monstrous kludge of a setup, and it's just impractical to replicate."

I think a lot of people would go just for a reliable Genesis with clean audio/video output, even if it did come with the caveat of "sorry, no CD/32x compatibility." I know there are a lot of people who want 32x or CD, but I imagine there's a lot more out there who are just going to be reading Videogame Review Site Alpha, see "HDMI Genesis with no latency and 100% cartridge compatibility" and be thrilled to pick that up, even if that's as far as it went.

• Like 1