IGNORED

Where do YOU fit in the TI hobby?

Omega-TI

Where we fit in the TI hobby.  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Collecting Software

• I like to collect original cartridges and diskettes.
    • I'm getting rid of my collection of various cartridges and diskettes.
    • I'm holding on to what I have, but not collecting any more 'classic stuff'.
    • I am interested in collecting some new 'homebrew' cartridges.
    • Other/NA
  2. 2. Hardware

• I'm in an acquisition phase and am looking to acquire 'classic' components.
    • I'm in an acquisition phase and am looking to acquire 'newly made' components.
    • I'm not currently acquiring any components.
    • I'm currently getting rid of hardware.
    • Other/NA
  3. 3. My PRIMARY interests in the hobby are.. (please only choose two).

• Hardware acquisition.
    • Software acquisition.
    • Hardware design and or construction.
    • Software design and development.
    • Gaming
    • Social
    • Other/NA
  4. 4. Do you have enough time to enjoy your hobby as you would like?

• Yes
    • No
    • N/A
  5. 5. Overall my enjoyment level of the hobby is...

• Great! Loving every minute of it!
    • Good, I'm happy.
    • Fair, I wish it was better.
    • Poor, I'm getting ready to bail.
    • N/A

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

• 2 weeks later...

Promised myself when I bought my first TI in 30 years that I would not fall into the "collector" pit, but I've never been good at keeping promises to myself.

Of course at first it was easy to do...most original TI-branded hardware/software is still quite inexpensive (from a vintage system perspective). I was able to build an expanded console (PEB/32K/RS232/drives/controller), a complete TI-branded game collection and a couple modern niceties (nanoPEB, F18A, XB2.7s) for much less than I would have spent on a similar collection for another classic computer. The collector bug may not have been what I had originally planned, but it wasn't breaking the bank either, so all was good.

Adding TI productivity and home finance software (which, let's face it, is for nostagia purposes far more than practical for use in 2015) is even cheaper, so was able to add a basic collection of those titles without adding much to the budget costs. Same with TI educational software which has suprisingly withstood the test of time VERY WELL, while conversely being the least expensive TI software to buy today (why is that anyway?)).

For a few hundred bucks (and far less than I spent 'back-in-the-day'), I was able to build a system and library that far exceeds what I owned in 1983! Quite a feat for a vintage system hobby and a tight budget.

Unfortunately, now that the addiction is fully developped, I am finding the remaining hardware and software is far less common (trying to avoid the word "Rare" which is so overused), and so each additional "fix" is falling increasingly outside of my budget (add a failing Canadian dollar, and an impending retirement, and my new purchases have been reduced to a slow crawl). When a single original cartridge without a box or manual can sell for more than $200, then this is a game I can no longer play.

So maybe now it's time for make good on my original plan of getting back into amateur programming (which I enjoyed so much in my youth).

One thing is certain. No matter what from this hobby takes, my love of this machine, with all it's limitations and quirks, is as strong today as it was the first time I brought one home over 30 years ago.

• Like 3

... and my new purchases have been reduced to a slow crawl).

PeBo, if you are in need of a TI hardware fix, you could try a little 'modification' to your baby. I'm in sort of the same situation you are, so when the boredom factor got too high, I came up with a couple of 'make-do' projects to keep me going in the hobby.

You could try << this inexpensive little project >> I came up with to "Jazz Up" the TI a little.

(Assuming you want to run your system in a tower configuration, it would not look good in the standard orientation).

<< Another project I did >> was to buy and spruce up a piece of hardware to match the TI's color scheme.

Sometimes just taking a stroll over to << Mainbyte >> will give you a few ideas as well. Hey you might come up with something new that we'll all want to copy. :)

• Like 1