IGNORED

Expansion Module #1 problems

ColecoNoob

Hi, as a quite new ColecoVision Fan I found it interesting to play Atari 2600 games via the CV.

So I ordered an Expansion Module #1 and a bunch of Atari 2600 games.

The console itsself works fine. I cleaned it and it looks fantastic and plays CV games as it should be.

Now the problem with the XM1 is, that I put it in the port and nothing but a blank screen happens.

I have to mention that the CV is a PAL Version made by CBS and has German describtion on it.

The XM1 instead is all English so I don't know if it's PAL or NTSC (if that matters anyway).

I also cleaned the XM1 but that didn't lead to any function.

How can I measure wether the XM1 or the extension port on the CV is out of function?

Are the any tricks and hints to get this combination to work?

The guy I bought it from (of course) says "it worked before" :-/

Hope to find anyone who can help on this.

Thank you guys in advance!

NTSC or PAL should not matter, but to verify, hopefully one of the European members can chime in.

There's only 4 hardware items that plug into the front Expansion Interface (EM#1, Add-a-Halt, EM #3 Adam and Opcode SGM), so if you do not have one of the other three, there is no way to test unless you have the test equipment and know-how to test each contact of the expansion card edge connector.

The EM #1 is just a clone of the Atari 2600, but without it's own power circuitry and RF video/audio circuitry, so when attached to a CV, it basically highjacks these two items from the CV to become a complete Atari 2600 clone system... you can't have it hooked up and then play CV games.

My guess is that your EM #1 is bad and your CV is all good especially since you can play CV games currently. You will probably have to buy another EM #1 to know for sure... which will be your cheapest and quickest option to choose.

BTW, you said you cleaned it, but what did you use. It's best to use De-Oxit and then 90%+ Isoprophyl Alcohol on all the contacts. After you clean it, I would inspect each and every contact on the EM#1's edge connector and then the CV's card edge connector. If you notice any damage, missing contacts or bent shielding that interferes with the alignment, that will be your problem.

I'm still leaning towards the EM#1 being bad (probably fried due to an electrical surge or bad CV power supply) and you will need to buy a new one.

BTW, you said you cleaned it, but what did you use. It's best to use De-Oxit and then 90%+ Isoprophyl Alcohol on all the contacts. After you clean it, I would inspect each and every contact on the EM#1's edge connector and then the CV's card edge connector. If you notice any damage, missing contacts or bent shielding that interferes with the alignment, that will be your problem.

I'm still leaning towards the EM#1 being bad (probably fried due to an electrical surge or bad CV power supply) and you will need to buy a new one.

First I swept away the dust and dirt with a brush than used the mentioned isoprophyl and finally cleaned the necessary parts with a special contact cleaning spray.

I checked the connector which seems to be ok and also checked on broken soldering points which also seems ok. Ich checked the isolators on sight. They seem to be ok too. Guess this thing is simply gone.

By the way it doesn't metter, wether or not a cartridge is inserted to the xm1. It only shows a blank screen.

What is the easiest way to find out wether the xm1 is a PAL or NTSC module? Text on it is in english.

Again I highly doubt there was any difference with the EM#1 sold in the US and sold in Europe with the exception of the label that was applied. If the labels are from CBS Electronics, then you have an EM#1 sold in the European market.

Don't recall if the cartridges or cart slot is keyed, but the labels should face towards the CV.

PAL & NTSC are not for region locking, they are how the game console outputs to the display.

Coleco did make PAL EM #1 according to Australia.

Anyway you can play NTSC Atari games on a PAL Atari. They just run at a different speed 50hz vs 60hz with wrong colors or black and white. Games that are PAL are coded with PAL's color palate and designed for 50hz per frame and more vertical scan lines.

France uses SECAM displays and there are SECAM Atari carts.

South America uses PAL-M which is a 4th display standard.

All those standards went away with HiDef digital displays.

NTSC or PAL should not matter, but to verify, hopefully one of the European members can chime in.

There's only 4 hardware items that plug into the front Expansion Interface (EM#1, Add-a-Halt, EM #3 Adam and Opcode SGM), so if you do not have one of the other three, there is no way to test unless you have the test equipment and know-how to test each contact of the expansion card edge connector.

The EM #1 is just a clone of the Atari 2600, but without it's own power circuitry and RF video/audio circuitry, so when attached to a CV, it basically highjacks these two items from the CV to become a complete Atari 2600 clone system... you can't have it hooked up and then play CV games.

My guess is that your EM #1 is bad and your CV is all good especially since you can play CV games currently. You will probably have to buy another EM #1 to know for sure... which will be your cheapest and quickest option to choose.

Never knew Add-A-Halt existed ... Thx for that...

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/121565-colecovision-add-a-halt-add-on/

Now the problem with the XM1 is, that I put it in the port and nothing but a blank screen happens.

I have to mention that the CV is a PAL Version made by CBS and has German describtion on it.

The XM1 instead is all English so I don't know if it's PAL or NTSC (if that matters anyway).

The guy I bought it from (of course) says "it worked before" :-/

Hope to find anyone who can help on this.

Thank you guys in advance!

Hi ColecoNoob.

You can know your English EM # 1 version at its label.

NTSC = ColecoVision, and PAL = CBS ColecoVision.

But there is a difference when it comes to the French version.

I have an old CBS ColecoVision PAL EM # 1, UK version, and this one do not work with my later French CBS ColecoVision.

This have to be the French EM # 1 with the French text.

There also exist a German EM # 1 with German text, this will be the same as the UK version.

Just some info.

:)