IGNORED

Joysticks

reklen

I recently purchase a TI computer at the Seattle Retro Gaming Expo. It was complete in box, with five cartridges. Now I need joysticks. What would you guys recommend? I remember the official ones, weren't that great, but they are affordable. There are also ones called "The Power System" Are these better? I don't want to waste my money. I know there is an adaptor for 2600 joysticks, but they are pricey. what do you guys recommend?

The Power Sticks are tiny but work relatively well. They also plug directly into the TI without an adapter. The same goes for the Slick Stix, although based on some recent experiences folks here have had, the contacts on those may be starting to deteriorate (and can probably be restored, but I haven't tested my set lately to be sure it is a general deterioration issue or just bad luck with one or two pairs of sticks). These also will connect directly to the TI. Other than that, you have the option of Atari-compatible sticks with an adapter. As already noted, it is pretty easy to build the cables for that--and the adapters themselves are usually in the vicinity of $10, which is not much more than the parts cost.

I think the joystick port might be broken. I tried the Slik Stick, The TAC-2, and the power sticks, they all plugged in, but the only direction that worked was going down. This happens whether the alpha lock is on or off. All three of these joysticks worked fine on my Ataris. How would I fix a plug, would I clean it with alcohol, or am I missing something.