IGNORED

Transparent Flashback 2 Plus

I recently acquired a Flashback 2+ at a garage sale. The lady told me that it was special, because it was given to one of the designers of it as a gift. Indeed, when I opened the box, both the conole and the joysticks are transparent. Anyone know anything about this, or if it is worth anything?

• Like 1

I recently acquired a Flashback 2+ at a garage sale. The lady told me that it was special, because it was given to one of the designers of it as a gift. Indeed, when I opened the box, both the conole and the joysticks are transparent. Anyone know anything about this, or if it is worth anything?

Never heard of it... how about posting a pic?

• Like 1

I got my Flashback 2+ cheap from Woot.

The 2+ never seems to come up in ebay. There is one, but it is overpriced.

You have to look for the 70's style fuji with the thin ends, the older models of Flashback 2 have flaired bottom fuji symbols.

The 2+ has a white/black box, the 2 is white/red. I think a lot of Flashback 2's on ebay use the same stock picture.

Pros for the 2+: Newest board/game revisions. Can add real cartridge port to play cartridge games. (Also can add a real cart to the FB2.)

Cons: The Activision titles are replaced with sports titles. Only basic, simple bankswitching is supported. No games with added RAM work. (Built-in games with added RAM run fine.)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, dude. That is awesome, bro. I wonder if this was for some kind of gaming related contest reward. That would make sense, but you'd think the box would look different from the rest.

Very weird, but awesome. Also, the right controller's chord is thinner than the left, very very strange.

Edited by AtarinDave

• 8 months later...

Just happened to find this old thread. I can shed some light on the transparent unit at The American Classic Arcade Museum @ Funspot. It is not a prototype and it was not donated by Curt.

As you guys may remember, I was one of two other people that worked for Curt on the FB1 and the FB2. Curt arranged for a run of 50 transparent FB1 consoles that were supposed to go to the people involved with the project. Curt got his. I got mine. I am not sure if Marty got his, but I doubt it. The remaining units were to go to Atari HQ and be given to the other people involved with the project, executives, etc. Well, those remaining units vanished into thin air upon reaching Atari. No one seems to know where they went.

The unit on display at ACAM is mine. It has transparent controllers along with the transparent console. On display as well is the packaging for the USA market and the French market. We also have a Flashback 2 there (autographed by Curt & I) with a mockup of the original packaging concept....a black & blue "Flashback 2.0" box that was more square. That concept was abandoned and the final product package was a more rectangular and flatter red "Flashback 2" box.

When it comes time to remove the Coleco games in that cabinet, I will be sure to build up a much better Atari FB1 & FB2 display. I still have my FB1 dev unit laying around somewhere, so that will eventually be part of the display.

Mike Stulir, Vice President @ ACAM

Edited by mstulir
  • Like 4