IGNORED

Midwest Gaming Classic April 9th and 10th 2016

Dan Iacovelli

Alright, here's 27 minutes of footage from the Midwest Gaming Classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhUbLL1gPVI

Ha, that's me playing Speedway II at 4:45. :-D

I also really liked the museum area, although I was a little disappointed not to see a Fairchild Channel F. A friend of mine keeps telling me about how awesome that system was at the time, so I wanted to see it for myself.

You're the first person I've ever heard of who was disappointed that there was no Channel F. :-D And while I personally like the Channel F, "awesome" is not a word I'd use to describe it. ;)

I actually debated long and hard over bringing mine, but as you saw, I went with the Studio II instead. Trouble is, Channel Fs aren't exactly known for their durability. Sunday/Family Day has been absolutely blowing up the last few years and I'm not sure I'm comfortable with growing swarms of semi-supervised children running around bashing on it. Another guy actually used to bring one until a couple of years ago when somebody jammed the cartridge all the way in (it was already inserted, the game was running, and there was no reason to take it out or do anything to it...), broke the cart ejector, and got the cart stuck in. He was able to fix it, thankfully, but I think he had to disassemble the whole console.

Given the fact that I came away from the show this year with a broken paddle on my Sears Arcade, a missing disc plate on one of my Intellivision controllers, and a broken latch on the floppy drive on my Compaq Portable (for the second year in a row, I should add), I'm unfortunately feeling some trepidation about even bringing some of this stuff back, let alone risking kids and stupid people damaging rare and/or expensive things like my Channel F.

Maybe I'll work something out for next year where I'll display things like that behind a case or enclosure and will hook them up on request for interested people, because I want people like you who are actually interested in things like the Channel F to be able to come see and experience it. I believe in that, and that's why I do this every year. But some of this stuff is simply getting too old, fragile, and expensive to allow the general public to have unsupervised (unfortunately I can't be continuously watching my stuff open to close all weekend long), untrained, or uninformed access when they don't really know what the thing's about, how to use it (you can put up instructions all day, nobody reads them), or how to treat it.

Edited by BassGuitari
  • Like 2

I will be there all 3 days! Can't wait to go tomorrow :)

I will be bringing a bunch of stuff to trade/sell, including the following :

Many coco carts, some cart/manual, some loose and a bunch of solo manuals. Including a lot of the harder to find games.

Loose atari 2600 and 5200 carts/manuals/overlays. Also a cib pooyan for 2600.

Loose colecovision carts and manuals. And some cib cooper black pirate games.

Lots of cib and boxed intellivision games.

A bunch of loose nes carts.

CIB and loose astrocade games.

Tons of Arcadia and clone games. Cib/boxed and loose. Schmid, liesurevision, hanimex, ormatu, leonardo, mpt-03, palladium etc.

Rca studio games cib and some loose clone games.

Tons of supervision games cib and loose.

Lots of mega duck games cib and loose.

Tiger game.com games loose carts and manuals.

Phillips vg5000 games.

APF games loose and boxed.

A couple gamemaster and creativision games.

A few odyssey 2 games as well as the o2 club magazines. A couple videopac games too.

A couple cib microvision games.

A couple Mattel aquarius things.

A few rare arcadia clone consoles.

A few odyssey pong systems boxed.

Probably more I'm forgetting :)

Things I am looking for are a cib original release super nintendo. Also loose nes and n64 carts I don't have. Also cib sms games as well as all the older rarities for the classic systems I have not yet tracked down.

If anyone wants to meet up to trade / buy/sell send me a pm here. I will probably be wearing an atariage shirt or centipede shirt. Also I will be displaying stuff in the museum.

Look forward to meeting anyone there :D

Wish I'd seen this before I left - I was bummed I couldn't find any O2 or Astrocade stuff that I didn't have already on the show floor!

It was great meeting the other AA'ers this weekend. The Lego NES systems were really cool in person. My CoCo survived another year, but the Osborne lasted about 20 whole minutes.

Thoroughly enjoyed the Rob Zombie pinball, which is good because I'm on the list for one.

Now safely back in STL.

• Like 3

Man we had such a fun time at MGC this weekend! Such a great show! :)

Great getting to meet and put a face to the other AA guys this weekend. All such great people :D

Lots of fun displaying in the museum and playing arcades and pinball with my son.

And amazing getting to meet and hear Joe Decuir speak on his time at atari and amiga. Super nice guy!

Already looking forward to next year!

post-26050-0-23154000-1460413258_thumb.jpg

Joe Decuir lecture

post-26050-0-59596700-1460413127_thumb.jpg

Museum set up

post-26050-0-51235500-1460413077_thumb.jpg

Saturday in the museum

post-26050-0-20724200-1460413333_thumb.jpg

The Sony nintendo Playstation proto

post-26050-0-37842100-1460413420_thumb.jpg

And we can't forget that M-E-G-A pretzel haha :D

• Like 3

Really? I saw one for sale on Saturday for $17, boxed.

I went through every vendor possible that had pre-crash games for sale(which seems to be decreasing as each year goes). May have been snapped up before I saw it. Saturday morning is busy for the vendor tent as everyone wants to find the deals first.

I almost jumped on that mini arcade cab that went from $140 on Sat to $100 on Sunday. I already have the parts to make a MAME cab for it.

I didn't get to do any of my "shopping" until 3pm Sunday ?. But I did find a couple nice things and things on my want list: Mario Paint, Ninja Gaiden Black, Halo 1 & 2, Star Voyager CIB, and even an Arcadia Supercharger and Star Wars: Rebel Assualt II big box PC to just name a few.

It's really nice to be on to rebuilding my original Xbox collection. I'm excited to start playing w/ the Supercharger -just gotta get some games. And the biggest win for me - K9 survived safely. So, now I can finish building him and find a space to keep him -he's in my office next to me as I'm typing this ?

Allen

I think I'm at a crossroads with the vendor hall. I collect vintage computers and pre-NES consoles almost exclusively. Less and less of that stuff shows up and when it does, apart from the token common 2600 carts, pricing tends to be on the high side. There was a 4K TRS-80 system with Level I BASIC for $300 that somebody apparently bought; not outrageous, but you can do better. There was also a vendor near the stage that had all kinds of NIB Atari 800 games (all disks or cassettes as far as I could tell), starting at around $30-35 apiece. Again, not really horrendous, but not cheap either, especially if you're only looking for loose or used copies. I was also a bit surprised to see only one Atari heavy sixer (which I was looking for), but I didn't find its condition satisfactory.

The guy with the "Coleco Chameleon Dev System" for $12,000 was hilarious, though. :-D

If I was looking for NES or Super Famicom games, though, I'd be all set. Geezus. There were oceans of the things. Nevertheless it wasn't a total loss for me; I still managed to grab some stuff like a second gray XE joystick, a NIB pair of 7800 joysticks, a couple of Commodore 64 cartridges, Spy Hunter for Atari 2600, Castle of Tharoggad for Coco 3, and a nifty CIB Gunfighter VFD tabletop/handheld. But for my kind of thing it seems Vintage Computer Fest is the way to go, and private sales with swell people such as those on AtariAge. :)

• Like 2

Ha, that's me playing Speedway II at 4:45. :-D

You're the first person I've ever heard of who was disappointed that there was no Channel F. :-D And while I personally like the Channel F, "awesome" is not a word I'd use to describe it. ;)

I actually debated long and hard over bringing mine, but as you saw, I went with the Studio II instead. Trouble is, Channel Fs aren't exactly known for their durability. Sunday/Family Day has been absolutely blowing up the last few years and I'm not sure I'm comfortable with growing swarms of semi-supervised children running around bashing on it. Another guy actually used to bring one until a couple of years ago when somebody jammed the cartridge all the way in (it was already inserted, the game was running, and there was no reason to take it out or do anything to it...), broke the cart ejector, and got the cart stuck in. He was able to fix it, thankfully, but I think he had to disassemble the whole console.

Given the fact that I came away from the show this year with a broken paddle on my Sears Arcade, a missing disc plate on one of my Intellivision controllers, and a broken latch on the floppy drive on my Compaq Portable (for the second year in a row, I should add), I'm unfortunately feeling some trepidation about even bringing some of this stuff back, let alone risking kids and stupid people damaging rare and/or expensive things like my Channel F.

Maybe I'll work something out for next year where I'll display things like that behind a case or enclosure and will hook them up on request for interested people, because I want people like you who are actually interested in things like the Channel F to be able to come see and experience it. I believe in that, and that's why I do this every year. But some of this stuff is simply getting too old, fragile, and expensive to allow the general public to have unsupervised (unfortunately I can't be continuously watching my stuff open to close all weekend long), untrained, or uninformed access when they don't really know what the thing's about, how to use it (you can put up instructions all day, nobody reads them), or how to treat it.

After reading about video game history, I just that a video game history museum would have the Channel F because of its historical significance as the first cartridge-based microprocessor system. I didn't know that it was so flimsy, though, so the glass case idea makes sense there. I would like to see one.

After reading about video game history, I just that a video game history museum would have the Channel F because of its historical significance as the first cartridge-based microprocessor system. I didn't know that it was so flimsy, though, so the glass case idea makes sense there. I would like to see one.

Yeah, I've had five or six Channel Fs over the years. Only one works 100% (System II), another works almost perfectly but the RF modulator is slightly out of tune and so it needs its own old TV with V/H hold controls (VES), and another worked but had a broken reset key and the cartridge eject lever was kind of jacked up and really stiff (System II). Another worked for about 30 seconds before going kaput but had a bad controller anyway (VES), and whatever other ones I had didn't work at all (they would have been VES models as well).

So did anybody do any trades or buy anything rare & did they have an auction with anything interesting? The only one i have ever been to was in downtown Vegas & atari2600.com was one of the vendors & they had two complete out of control boxed copies for the 2600. Also a lot of the vendors are also collectors & they would buy some of the better stuff from each other before the public gets a chance. I spoke with a vendor who bought a new in box atari 2600 cakewalk from another vendor probably the night before when they were setting up their stuff. The cool thing is listening to the speakers which is worth the ticket price alone....also the traveling museum was awesome.

• Like 1

I sold stuff to 3 atariage people and traded with another. I also sold stuff/traded with a couple other people I met.

I think they had a silent auction at the vig party Saturday night, but I believe it was all pinball related. I saw it right as it was ending.

My favorite buys were a cib cosmic commander controller for the 2600.

A nice condition cib coleco telstar (original one)

And very nice cib sega master system and super nintendo and early release big box intellivision.

I mostly had my eye on big stuff that is usually costly to ship. ;)

I also had Joe Decuir sign a cib copy of 2600 combat :D

I traded a bunch of Supervision stuff for a boxed cdi and cash too.

Awesome time there, met cool people, made cool finds, and played lots of games. Could not have had more fun!

And your right, I talked to a few vendors who mentioned getting stuff from each other during setup friday. Alot of them are collectors. Saw Jason from trade n games and Rick from prge. Also talked to Sean Kelly's daughter, but he was not there this year since his museum collaboration just opened in texas.

• Like 1

I sold stuff to 3 atariage people and traded with another. I also sold stuff/traded with a couple other people I met.

I think they had a silent auction at the vig party Saturday night, but I believe it was all pinball related. I saw it right as it was ending.

My favorite buys were a cib cosmic commander controller for the 2600.

A nice condition cib coleco telstar (original one)

And very nice cib sega master system and super nintendo and early release big box intellivision.

I mostly had my eye on big stuff that is usually costly to ship. ;)

I also had Joe Decuir sign a cib copy of 2600 combat :D

I traded a bunch of Supervision stuff for a boxed cdi and cash too.

Awesome time there, met cool people, made cool finds, and played lots of games. Could not have had more fun!

And your right, I talked to a few vendors who mentioned getting stuff from each other during setup friday. Alot of them are collectors. Saw Jason from trade n games and Rick from prge. Also talked to Sean Kelly's daughter, but he was not there this year since his museum collaboration just opened in texas.

Sounds like a fun time & you are smart to buy the big boxed stuff to save on shipping. Will there be another big gaming convention this year?

Sounds like a fun time & you are smart to buy the big boxed stuff to save on shipping. Will there be another big gaming convention this year?

Yeah between nice prices and no shipping, I was very happy with my finds. And of course getting to look stuff over in person before purchase is always a big plus!

These is coco fest the weekend after this if you like the coco. Also a vintage computer fest I think in sept. And Dan's show the vgs in july. I have not been to vgs, but plan to try and go this year. I believe there are 40 vendor spots. Not sure what all else goes on. I don't think it's nearly what mgc is, but it sounds fun. And it's very close to me. :)

Yeah between nice prices and no shipping, I was very happy with my finds. And of course getting to look stuff over in person before purchase is always a big plus!

These is coco fest the weekend after this if you like the coco. Also a vintage computer fest I think in sept. And Dan's show the vgs in july. I have not been to vgs, but plan to try and go this year. I believe there are 40 vendor spots. Not sure what all else goes on. I don't think it's nearly what mgc is, but it sounds fun. And it's very close to me. :)

yes we have 40 spots but few of them do take up two or more tables, plus we do havea gaming area with tournaments as well.

CoCO Fest was in the same venue where VGS and the commodore show was, which I don't how that is possible since heron and faireild management split and they told us they wasn't going rent out the heron, unless coco fest is actually leasing the space from the heron.

• Like 1

I'm probably going to wait for the biggest in the country whatever that is & get a vendor table & bring some of my rare duplicates to trade along with a lot of commodore stuff