IGNORED

Compare the tempests !

midwest_cdn

That game reafirms my hatered of all things Java!

It was like trying to walk through a sea of honey, play the original on MAME and be much happier. Then again, its impossible to make a vector screen look good on a raster monitor, so you can never get a real tempest feel (even more so since pc keyboards dont have spinners).

That game reafirms my hatered of all things Java!

It was like trying to walk through a sea of honey

Haha, I guess that depends on the PC you try to play it on and your net connection ;) Works fine for me...

Mind you, I do agree with your point about vector monitors - but then that's the same reason Flash animations can store so much data in so little space and still look good...vector animation looks astonishingly clear compared to older raster displays. Mind you, I can't say they're better than the 42" HDTV setups in newer arcade setups ;)

Stone

Thats not what I ment Stone, I ment that vector monitors are incredibly bright, because the beam moves so much slower across the phosphur, it produces incredibly bright lines, especially at the corners of objects, where it stops for a tiny bit longer.

Yep, and of course a vector monitor can intensify the brightness of a single pixel (like the ultra bright glowing shots in an arcade Asteroids cab.. so bright it makes tracers). You just can't get that effect on a regular monitor.. clear flash graphics or not :P

Thats not what I ment Stone, I ment that vector monitors are incredibly bright, because the beam moves so much slower across the phosphur, it produces incredibly bright lines, especially at the corners of objects, where it stops for a tiny bit longer.

The beam doesn't really move slower... it's the fact that the phosphors are a much higher persistance than a standard monitor. It's the persistance of the phosphors that make the beam draw "lines".