IGNORED

Okay... let's chase some ghosts.

Opry99er

Well, as you can see in my project thread, my real TI is back up and rolling. :)

And I have some ghosts.

When in TIXB, I can call SIZE and it shows that the 32k is available. *Good

When using the XB2.7 cart, the screen garbles when I try to launch option A (XB2.7). *Bad

When attempting to test my disk drives, all 3 light up when tested individually *Good

When attenpting to format a disk or load an actual program FROM disk, I receive disk errors. *Bad

So, it seems something is goofy. I will try re-seating my cards today to see if that helps.

Other ideas, guys?

Well, as you can see in my project thread, my real TI is back up and rolling. :)

And I have some ghosts.

When in TIXB, I can call SIZE and it shows that the 32k is available. *Good

When using the XB2.7 cart, the screen garbles when I try to launch option A (XB2.7). *Bad

When attempting to test my disk drives, all 3 light up when tested individually *Good

When attenpting to format a disk or load an actual program FROM disk, I receive disk errors. *Bad

So, it seems something is goofy. I will try re-seating my cards today to see if that helps.

Other ideas, guys?

do you have a speech plugged into he side of the TI between the TI and Flex? I have seen the issue when that has happened when having a bad speech.

Could also be a disk controller issue.

I have not had the system set up in over a year. No mod on the FDC... same FDC I have used for 8 years.

I removed the synth, same error. The disk controller manual says it is a "Record not found" error... but that is odd. I have tried both my DM2 cartridge and the XB2.7 suite cartridge and have received the same error on both cartridges.

^^really?^^

My 32k looks okay when I do a SIZE call...

I have two spare 32k mem cards, so that would be awesome if it were the case. :)

I do not have any spare FDC or Flex Cable cards though, as I sold them off trying to get the down payment for this house. ;)

I'll re-seat everything and swap 32k mem and see where we're at. Thanks Fritzy

Alright.... Update.

After cleaning the contacts, there was no change. I thought that odd. So I disconnected and reconnected (several times) the ribbon cables connecting the FDC to DSK1 and also the cable connecting the FDC to the external box I have for DSK2 and DSK3. It started working...

I was able to get DSK1 to format, save and load.

DSK2 still kicked out Disk Error 31

I put the same disk from DSK2 into DSK3, and it formatted, saved, and loaded perfectly.

I then put another disk in DSK2 and it formatted, saved, and loaded perfectly as well.

So.... I don't really know what was going on, but it seems that I now have a working TI setup again. ;)

Only ghost I have left to chase is my joystick port....

I have a WICO adapter plugged in with my WICO ball and bat sticks.... These work beautifully on my 2600.

The motion is choppy and it ceases to go up and down after a few seconds (ALPHA LOCK IS NOT AN ISSUE HERE. ;))

I used 4 different joys, same problem. I took the WICO adapter box out and replaced it with a split cable model. Same thing.

I'm thinking the console has a port problem... Next step is to replace the console and see if that was the problem.

yeah, symptoms are pointing to the connection to the flex cable. Could be some corrosion/deposits on the contacts that just need to be cleaned. Sometimes cleaning is more than just a wipe, and make sure both the card edge and the card connector are cleaned (a business card dampened with 99% rubbing alcohol or a credit card with a thin cloth dampened with same can help with the fingers, just remember not to slide across them, don't want to bend them).

Well, I went to save a Story Machine gamefile to DSK1 and I got I/O errors. I then tried to save it to DSK2 and the same thing.

Plugged in XB and tried to save a short test program to disks and received errors on all drives, 1-3.

I had to go to work, so I was thwarted and it sucked. I thought about it while working today and it occurred to me that I started having these problems back a year and a half ago when I had my system set up in Denver... I assumed it was from the jacked-up electricity out there, zonking my gear. Tonight, I arrived home determined to figure out what in the hell was causing these fleeting ghosts... It'll work one minute and the next, nothing.

I swapped my flex slot from 1 to 2... something I've never done because I liked having the security of it pressed up against the PSU side of the box (also having the screw hole placed on the back of that box JUST for slot 1 made me want to keep it there.)

Once I did this, (so far) I have had NO problems saving, loading, cataloging, etc. I tried the Story Machine save and it worked. Loaded just fine as well. I am HOPING the "1" slot in my PEB is somehow compromised (and hoping even MORE strongly that I can repair it)....

I have two spare PEBs... One is the 99/4 push button model with the long spines... the other is just like my primary, but it is rusted on the inside. If it is a matter of swapping parts, anyway, I've got some spare parts.

Let's hope this solved my issues permanently. I currently do not need that extra PEB card slot, as I am running a very bare setup right now.

32k, flex, HDXrs232, FDC.

• Like 3