IGNORED

What 7800 games are you playing right now?

sramirez2008

After spending half the day at an actual arcade, I will spend a couple more hours playing the following games this evening, before packing for a trip to N.Y.

Asteroids, Astro Blaster, Astro Fighter, Asteroids Deluxe and last but not least...Space Rocks!

post-21941-0-60940600-1450912986_thumb.jpg post-21941-0-82314900-1450913027_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hmmm dunno, hesitant to mess with perfection. I've used my wico track ball before and it worked "OK." what is the big difference?

Okay, going into education mode here.

The Wico trackball just does joystick emulation. It's well constructed but without modification, it just does joystick emulation [like the Colecovision Roller Controller]. Now fellow AtariAger BigO has modded one to export "gray code" so it functions exactly like an Atari Trak-Ball for games that support them. You can find his posts over in the 2600 forums. Another concern that's been brought up about the Wico, based upon Dan Kramer's evaluation for Atari going back to circa 1983, is that it has the capacity to really tax a 2600 power supply.

Now, back to Atari. Dan Kramer designed the CX22 for the 2600 and the awesome CX53 for the 5200. The Atari Home Computer Division then took the CX22 design and made their own CX80 from it to match the XL computers.

Despite having a Trak-Ball, none of the original 2600 games truly supported it; only in joystick mode. That's been rectified in the past few years here at AtariAge by people like Thomas Jentzsch and OmegaMatrix. Thomas started the trend with 2600 Missile Command-TB a few years ago but in the past couple of months, him and Omega have added support to 2600 Centipede, Millipede, Reactor, Star Wars the Arcade Game, Colony 7, and more to come.

On the Atari 8-bit computer front, only Missile Command - and Slime, a game not released by Atari but by a third party software house - offered native Trak-Ball support originally. But most of Atari's titles for the 5200 had native Trak-Ball support built in for the CX53. So people like "Glenn the 5200 Man" back in the day ported/pirated the 5200 versions of those games back to Atari 8-bit so they could use their Trak-Ball controllers natively.

If you want a non-modded console with great Trak-Ball support that you can acquire original cartridges and just plug-and-play, you need the 5200.

As for 7800 Centipede and its alleged perfection, it does have Trak-Ball support built in but for a Trak-Ball that was never released*. Thus if you hook up a CX22 or CX80, they'll only work in joystick mode. Kenfused hacked this and added back support for the CX22/CX80. That's unofficially called 7800 Centipede-TB. It's only available as a ROM but you could get Albert here to create a cartridge of it. Or, when the Concerto SD Cartridge Adapter is released, you could play the ROM on your 7800.

So, as it stands, 7800 Centipede isn't perfection, at least from a Trak-Ball Controller perspective. Well, that and missing the POKEY audio from the Atari 8-bit/5200 versions, but that's a whole different can of worms there.

*If you do a Google Search for a 7800 Trak-Ball, you may come across Video61 selling a "7800 Trak-Ball". It's bogus. It's just a CX80 modded so the left and right fire buttons function as independent 7800 buttons but it won't magically restore native Trak-Ball mode from regular 7800 Centipede.

Edited by Lynxpro

Hmmm dunno, hesitant to mess with perfection. I've used my wico track ball before and it worked "OK." what is the big difference?

And in case may be of interest to try a version with alternative graphics, recently I made a 7800 Centipede hack in which I removed the frame/border around the playfield along with some other graphical update.

Kenfused's Trackball support is included (Thanks again, Ken! :) ).

http://atariage.com/...cade/?p=3257450

rvXbo5.png

• Like 1

And in case may be of interest to try a version with alternative graphics, recently I made a 7800 Centipede hack in which I removed the frame/border around the playfield along with some other graphical update.

Kenfused's Trackball support is included (Thanks again, Ken! :) ).

http://atariage.com/...cade/?p=3257450

rvXbo5.png

Still needs POKEY audio. :)

[ducks].

And if one supported the XBOARD, the arcade audio could be used since it was Dual POKEY. :) EDIT: Sorry, forgot that it's Millipede that did Dual POKEY and you corrected me on that in that other thread months ago. Sorry! :)

Hey Defender, since you got in touch with Kenfused, can you ask him if he'll authorize Albert to sell his 7800 Centipede-TB in the AtariAge Store? Or perhaps yours could be sold as Centipede-Arcade or something to that effect. The reason why I ask/recommend this is because we're getting a lot of requests from people over in the Facebook Trak-Bombers and 7800 owners groups to be able to purchase a cartridge version of them for the native Trak-Ball support. Albert informed me he doesn't have permission to sell it outright in the Store so Kenfused - or you - would be needed to authorize him to do so.

Edited by Lynxpro
  • Like 1

Okay, going into education mode here.

The Wico trackball just does joystick emulation. It's well constructed but without modification, it just does joystick emulation [like the Colecovision Roller Controller]. Now fellow AtariAger BigO has modded one to export "gray code" so it functions exactly like an Atari Trak-Ball for games that support them. You can find his posts over in the 2600 forums. Another concern that's been brought up about the Wico, based upon Dan Kramer's evaluation for Atari going back to circa 1983, is that it has the capacity to really tax a 2600 power supply.

Now, back to Atari. Dan Kramer designed the CX22 for the 2600 and the awesome CX53 for the 5200. The Atari Home Computer Division then took the CX22 design and made their own CX80 from it to match the XL computers.

Despite having a Trak-Ball, none of the original 2600 games truly supported it; only in joystick mode. That's been rectified in the past few years here at AtariAge by people like Thomas Jentzsch and OmegaMatrix. Thomas started the trend with 2600 Missile Command-TB a few years ago but in the past couple of months, him and Omega have added support to 2600 Centipede, Millipede, Reactor, Star Wars the Arcade Game, Colony 7, and more to come.

On the Atari 8-bit computer front, only Missile Command - and Slime, a game not released by Atari but by a third party software house - offered native Trak-Ball support originally. But most of Atari's titles for the 5200 had native Trak-Ball support built in for the CX53. So people like "Glenn the 5200 Man" back in the day ported/pirated the 5200 versions of those games back to Atari 8-bit so they could use their Trak-Ball controllers natively.

If you want a non-modded console with great Trak-Ball support that you can acquire original cartridges and just plug-and-play, you need the 5200.

As for 7800 Centipede and its alleged perfection, it does have Trak-Ball support built in but for a Trak-Ball that was never released*. Thus if you hook up a CX22 or CX80, they'll only work in joystick mode. Kenfused hacked this and added back support for the CX22/CX80. That's unofficially called 7800 Centipede-TB. It's only available as a ROM but you could get Albert here to create a cartridge of it. Or, when the Concerto SD Cartridge Adapter is released, you could play the ROM on your 7800.

So, as it stands, 7800 Centipede isn't perfection, at least from a Trak-Ball Controller perspective. Well, that and missing the POKEY audio from the Atari 8-bit/5200 versions, but that's a whole different can of worms there.

*If you do a Google Search for a 7800 Trak-Ball, you may come across Video61 selling a "7800 Trak-Ball". It's bogus. It's just a CX80 modded so the left and right fire buttons function as independent 7800 buttons but it won't magically restore native Trak-Ball mode from regular 7800 Centipede.

Well, consider me educated. Until a version on cartridge comes along, I'll continue to blaspheme and use my Sega Genesis arcade stick. I would commit my funds to a cart release of the above mentioned Centipede Arcade or Centipede TB if it came out on cart. With or without Pokey :P Edited by VicViper
  • Like 1

Well, consider me educated. Until a version on cartridge comes along, I'll continue to blaspheme and use my Sega Genesis arcade stick. I would commit my funds to a cart release of the above mentioned Centipede Arcade or Centipede TB if it came out on cart. With or without Pokey :P

Albert can make you a custom 7800 cartridge for either of them. Just mention which ROM you want and what label you'd like...

https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=950

Because the POKEY versions sound better than their TIA counterparts and the POKEY should've been the base 7800 sound chip from the start of the project.

The extra 2 channels for pokey is nice. But the tia can sound amazing with enough programming talent.