IGNORED

Community, Legacy and Time...

Omega-TI

This thread is rather atypical from my norm, but after Gazoo's passing and reflecting on others who have left us << REFERENCED HERE >> I've pondered a few things...

First, I was so pleased that Tony was able to fulfill his 20 year long quest to make a cartridge. I was beyond pleased that his last year must have been a blast seeing how wildly popular his Legacy Cartridge became. In my mind it's the best damn cartridge that has ever been made for the TI. Gazoo, I'm so glad you succeeded, now we all have something in our homes to remember a great guy.

Now, after looking at the list in the link above, I realized as a community, we are all getting 'OLDER', sadly there are far too many names on that list, many I recognize, hell, many of us use the software written by a few of them. With the passing of each and everyone of the TI-gods, the knowledge pool shrinks, there is one less person to pass his knowledge and experience on to others, one less chance of someone writing the next awesome program or someone to design and build the next piece of hardware.

What are we going to leave behind? How much time do we have left to leave something behind? Tony was only 57...

It is my hope to leave behind 10-15 original games, LoBR included.

I also want to put out the SSGC compendium (with full manual) on tape and on diskette at some point. That one means alot to me, as I played a small part in helping motivate those excellent programmers to produce the brilliant games they did. Of course the games are free to DL, but I want to put the media out there for console-only folks or those without the ability to transfer files so that the games might be played on a real TI, even unexpanded... Which was kind of the point of that competition from the get-go.

• Like 3

It is my hope to leave behind 10-15 original games, LoBR included.

I also want to put out the SSGC compendium (with full manual) on tape and on diskette at some point. That one means alot to me, as I played a small part in helping motivate those excellent programmers to produce the brilliant games they did. Of course the games are free to DL, but I want to put the media out there for console-only folks or those without the ability to transfer files so that the games might be played on a real TI, even unexpanded... Which was kind of the point of that competition from the get-go.

That's a great idea Owen :)

If one day I log in and find that I'm the only one left here I will probably switch over to the CPC464 - my second favorite 8-bit home computer. ;-)

BLASPHEMY!

If you're gonna go British on us, as least go for one of these:

ZXSpectrum48k.jpg

What a handsome machine!

• Like 1

If one day I log in and find that I'm the only one left here I will probably switch over to the CPC464 - my second favorite 8-bit home computer. ;-)

If I was going to leave the TI behind (no plans to) I'd move to the Atari ST. Still got an itch to blast out some 68K assembly on that motha...!

• Like 1

I generally produce at least one piece of software a year on average :)

Let's see:

• Panzer Strike
  • Close Action
  • TI Lander
  • Robot War
  • Gravity Run
  • Dedalus
  • Core War
  • Orbital Rendez-vous
  • SkyChart
  • Chaos Musings
  • Musings in Artificial intelligence
  • Pi Calculator
  • Sim Rocket
  • Hangman Lightpen Edition

And a couple more in the oven :grin:

While none are masterpieces by any stretch of the imagination, they are therapy for me as they help me escape from the stresses of the real world as well enjoy the opportunity to share with my fellow TIers. Priceless...

As for the alternative to the TI (a horrible thought), it would have to be the Apple IIe.

• Like 5

Myself, I would be happy if I could just find the time to finish the last 1% of my testing on my BBS code, for the programming side.

And the other. To meet as many TI buddies as I can.

I have to agree with Willsy as far as the Atari ST is concerned. I don't know a lot about it, but it has always interested me. I think if I were to leave the TI (I don't see that hapening) then my next machine to finally get of my butt and learn would the the ST.

I have even been pondering picking one up over the last few days!

• Like 1

I generally produce at least one piece of software a year on average :)

Let's see:

• Panzer Strike
  • Close Action
  • TI Lander
  • Robot War
  • Gravity Run
  • Dedalus
  • Core War
  • Orbital Rendez-vous
  • SkyChart
  • Chaos Musings
  • Musings in Artificial intelligence
  • Pi Calculator
  • Sim Rocket
  • Hangman Lightpen Edition
And a couple more in the oven :grin:

While none are masterpieces by any stretch of the imagination, they are therapy for me as they help me escape from the stresses of the real world as well enjoy the opportunity to share with my fellow TIers. Priceless...

As for the alternative to the TI (a horrible thought), it would have to be the Apple IIe.

Sadly I haven't played any of these except Panzer Strike (which is awesome BTW) I'll have to remedy this situation soon

This thread didn't really start in the 'funny' category, but things always turn light hearted here, which is very refreshing.

I think, that if I was on my own, I'd still hobby around with the TI. But it certainly is more fun knowing this group is here actively enjoying the TI as well.

I think if I were to investigate alternate retro-computing, I'd look at MSX2. Probably because of the 9938 and 9958 usage. And someday I'll pick up an Atari ST because it is the only platform I've found that has a decent 'Star Wars Arcade' game implementation. But, the TI lives in this evolutionary spot that feels really unique and special, besides being the platform the neighborhood girls of my youth would angrily suggest that I marry.

But, as far as leaving a legacy... I'd like to suggest: github. It seems a natural fit for cross compiled projects, and there are tools now for extracting XB into text. Forth code seems a good fit there as well. Publicly visible repositories are free.

This forum is a legacy as well. This August, I found thousands of pieces of information here, and jokes, and jabs, and more information. Quite a strong legacy already.

• Like 1

Blasphemy indeed! Now if I was going to abandon my beloved TI and turn traitor and go British, I'd go with one of these...

bbcmaster.jpg

I believe that's what us Brits call a BBC Master System. They're very nice machines. :thumbsup: If Acorn is your thang, you might want to check out the Acorn Archimedes - the worlds first RISC Micro, with the first generation ARM CPU. Now, pretty much every mobile made today has an ARM CPU core in it of some kind, including those made by Texas Instruments.

Here is my collection of computers. If my TI goes beyond repair or there would be no TI users my choice would be Yugoslav computer Orao (in english Eagle). It is black and white, have 6502 processor and sound like ZX Spectrum. Orao is in 3rd row on right. Orao was produced in my hometown Varaždin

post-34046-0-51188300-1444298590_thumb.jpg

Edited by Manic1975
  • Like 3