IGNORED

Weird ColecoVision Problem...HELP!

GreenRabbit1984

Hey guys, So I have a weird problem here. I turn my Colecovision on, can get the title screen followed by the select screen, then instead of going to the game the system resets after a few seconds to the title screen. Anybody know whats going on? My machine this is occurring on is completely stock so any help would be great. Thanks

Edited by GreenRabbit1984

try a cartridge with a small rom size like 16kb or 8kb if. I had a similar problem but small games would still work. try q-bert as it's only 8kb.

Hey guys, So I have a weird problem here. I turn my Colecovision on, can get the title screen followed by the select screen, then instead of going to the game the system resets after a few seconds to the title screen. Anybody know whats going on? My machine this is occurring on is completely stock so any help would be great. Thanks

try a cartridge with a small rom size like 16kb or 8kb if. I had a similar problem but small games would still work. try q-bert as it's only 8kb.

I don't have Qbert to try, however is does it for all my games. Everything from Donkey Kong to Super Football to Choplifter.

Does your problem happen with all the cartridges you own?

Yes

I'm thinking now that either the cartridge port is dirty or bent, or the system isn't getting enough power due to the power switch.

I checked the power supply and the voltages are correct I assume. 12.1 volts, 4.8 volts, -4.7 volts. I cleaned the cartridge port and carts to no change but I guess I need to check the soldering for cracked or broken points.

I agree, I had a similar issue and cleaning the cart port fixed it... Though I've replaced a cart port on one in the past which worked as well (though carts seemed kinda lose afterwords), I think I still have a bag full of them if you find you need one.. PM....

I'm thinking now that either the cartridge port is dirty or bent, or the system isn't getting enough power due to the power switch.

I agree, I had a similar issue and cleaning the cart port fixed it... Though I've replaced a cart port on one in the past which worked as well (though carts seemed kinda lose afterwords), I think I still have a bag full of them if you find you need one.. PM....

Yeah PM sent. I messed with the port a little and found a bent pin, pulled it back and the issues got worse.

Probably either the Power Switch or one or more of the RAM chips... quite possibly even a combination of both.

You can quickly clean the power switch and lubricate with WD40 to see if it improves anything. However, for a proper fix you need to desolder the switch and properly clean and lubricate it with dielectric grease and then solder it back in place. There is a pinned thread which has numerous articles on servicing the CV with picture examples.

Edited by NIAD

I had this happen with one of my CV boards, it wouldn't boot certain games (beyond 8k?). Nanochess explained everything to me, what he thought was going on but I forget..Maybe a bad logic chip up by the cart slot?.. It was early sometime last year. Maybe he or one of the other hardware guys can elaborate. I never did mess with the board anymore after that but I will repair it one day.

Anyways, hopefully a good power switch cleaning does the trick. If that fails, it wouldn't hurt to replace the RAM chips since they'll go bad sooner or later anyway. Yurkie could fix it right if you don't feel like doing it yourself.