IGNORED

American Hero numbers

Stone

Right, since everyone else is doing it, I thought I'd join in :D

As you may or may not know, American Hero was recently released to a couple of people, with the instructions to 'go forth and multiply' :) Guess the coders wanted people to see their work...

Basically, American Hero is another GameFilm prototype, like Caves of Fear, except this one was clearly on the way to becoming a commercial game, not just a technology demonstration. The storyline centres around a sterotypical CIA detective who has to rescue his girlfriend (an expert microbiologist) from an evil organisation who has conveniently just developed a 'dangerous mind-control virus'. The CIA want her for her anti-virus formula (which she never got a chance to give them before she was kidnapped) and Jack (the agent) wants her because she's, well, his girlfriend :) There's about 3 times as much video as in Caves of Fear (with MANY more decision points), and it seems to be at slightly higher quality. The game also includes many game options, which are accessed by hitting pause and then option. The game's not finished, and contains quite a few bugs and glitches, but it's still well worth having :D

This game is unencrypted (it's not finished; would have made no sense for them to encrypt it), so you WILL need a bypass cart to run it. If you use Symmetry's BJL bypass to run the CD with a Memory Track inserted, saves will work :) You can resume from the last decision point, which is very helpful if you don't like waiting through the opening sequence (or you could use the first three save slots to bookmark the 3 ways to get out of the strip club, so your significant other doesn't object ;) ). Each savegame takes up 1536 bytes on your Memory Track.

I'll be bringing a stack of the CDs to JagFest UK - I need to know how big the stack is, however. Replies here will be added to the list; all I'm interested in is numbers. Just add a reply...email / pm's now accepted - I figure I could be putting people off if they have to sign up here :)

Price will be £3 per CD. For that you get a standard CD jewelcase with colour laser-printed inserts (produced from the game artwork by Kevin Manne, used with thanks; reduced-quality copies below) and a CD-R copy of the game. Sounded fair to me :)

NOTE: ALL CDs WILL BE TESTED WORKING PRIOR TO SHIPPING/SALE. NO RETURNS. (though I'll try to keep you all happy)

Please notice the price has been lowered from £5 due to small sound skips in the video stream. While this should not affect your overall enjoyment of the game, it is an imperfection, and I felt it unfair to charge you all the original price for CDs that weren't perfect. If anyone has any comments about this then feel free to add them to the 'Important American Hero update' topic.

If you aren't coming to JFUK, feel free to put yourself down; I'll deal with mailorders after the 'Fest, however. And no, you can't get one from me before then ;) Please make it ABUNDANTLY CLEAR whether you're attending the 'Fest or not in your post - I'll get very confused otherwise. Thanks.

Stone

[edit: I'll be answering questions here and not in the thread]

[Current number reserved at JFUK: 25]

[Current number going abroad/to non-JFUK people in the UK: 39]

post-987-1050094506_thumb.jpg

post-987-1050094507_thumb.jpg

Ummm.... hate to sound stupid but whats an "American Hero" CD??

Mendon

It's an FMV similar to Caves of Fear except it's for the "adult" consumer. Lots of nudity and some sex in it. Good stuff! Of course, I have to ask my wife if I can play it.....:)

Jason

:lol: ;)

Hi Stone,

put me down for one, I only live about 5 miles away from where jagfest UK will be held. so i'm gonna pop down for the day and see what's what. PM me and we can chat about details.

Err... Didn't he said NO PM ?

What's this story I'm hearing about people boycotting this game because Timothy Bottoms played George W. Bush on TV? Sounds like a stretch to me.  :?

I can see the resemblance...mind you I'd boycott this game if it was Dubya in the lead role, so I wouldn't see it as a problem ;)

Stone

Cool! I would love to have one of these!

Here is some more information on this (although it looks like I'll have to update that a little :) )

http://www.cyberroach.com/jaguarcd/html/amhero.htm

And here is the original patent filing for the Jaguar Game Film:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/srchnum.htm and search for number 5,607,356

Can't wait to see this!

Cheers,

-Cyro

What's this story I'm hearing about people boycotting this game because Timothy Bottoms played George W. Bush on TV? Sounds like a stretch to me.  :?

I can see the resemblance...mind you I'd boycott this game if it was Dubya in the lead role, so I wouldn't see it as a problem ;)

Stone

Hey even I don't like the guy and didn't vote for him, but it's dumb to boycott a game just because the guy in it resembles a political figure.

Stone

Hey even I don't like the guy and didn't vote for him, but it's dumb to boycott a game just because the guy in it resembles a political figure.

I forgot to mention that this means I'd like to be on the list too!