IGNORED

stock controller fire buttons not working. Any ideas?

djmat56

Hi all

Just got a 4 port sent to me here in the UK. Just done the AV mod and all works well.

Problem I have is that the fire buttons on both controllers don't seem to work at all. Is this another use not related to the controllers or just coincidence?

Probably the single most common issue with the 5200. No doubt people will tell you to buy a reconditioned Best Electronics controller, but if you want to avoid that expense, just super-glue bits of foil to the rubber pads of the fire buttons (as well as the Start/Pause/Reset buttons, which also often fail.) That should do the trick. Make sure to find and use a detailed description of how to open up the controller properly, as it is easy to damage the flimsy circuit if you do it improperly.

Welcome to the life of the Atari 5200. It's a common problem due to the carbon buildup covering the cell membranes. Try opening up the controllers and get an eraser and clear out the carbom buildup And get a qtip and dap a little rubbing alcohol and wipe it down as well. Then put it back together and try it out. Also try ordering some gold parts from Best Electronics as well.

This is g may seem weird but...I considered putting a small flat head tack in the buttons to act as contacts (flat head for contact, tack going into button towards your finger, but short enough, and with a big enough head, that you'd never push so hard that it could come through).

Then I got a competition pro and kind of forgot about it. Maybe I should go back to that.

Agree with sdamon. Get a hole puncher (preferably one with a smaller punch than standard size) and a sheet of aluminum foil. Super glue with the brush works best. However, you should test the circuit first with a paperclip or screwdriver tip. If you're not getting any action onscreen, the flex circuit itself may be damaged.