IGNORED

Quarrion - new game finished!

matosimi

• 2 weeks later...

I always enjoy a good puzzle game.. :thumbsup:

Just tried this out, managed 880 points. Nice bit of polish over the teaser release from New Year's. The special tiles give it a much needed bump in difficulty without making it frustrating... the problematic 4s and 5s are balanced by the powerful bombs.

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

Only thing - the title screen drives my 1702 monitor nuts! The top of the screen tears, like an old VHS tape with badly-adjusted tracking, and I had to play with the vertical hold to get it to stabilize at all. I suspect this has more to do with my odd hardware configuration (PAL ANTIC in an NTSC 800, connected to an NTSC monitor) than anything else.

post-19239-0-42308600-1445223252_thumb.jpg

Edited by adam242

I always enjoy a good puzzle game.. :thumbsup:

Just tried this out, managed 880 points. Nice bit of polish over the teaser release from New Year's. The special tiles give it a much needed bump in difficulty without making it frustrating... the problematic 4s and 5s are balanced by the powerful bombs.

880 is a bit low ;), difficulty starts to be interesting after you score 900, there are 5 tiles added every move then.

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

I'm glad you like it.

Only thing - the title screen drives my 1702 monitor nuts! The top of the screen tears, like an old VHS tape with badly-adjusted tracking, and I had to play with the vertical hold to get it to stabilize at all. I suspect this has more to do with my odd hardware configuration (PAL ANTIC in an NTSC 800, connected to an NTSC monitor) than anything else.

attachicon.gifKIMG0525.jpg

Yeah, this was reported couple days ago. Am I right that the issue is only on top part of title screen? ...or is there also something wrong ingame?

...because I used every scanline possible on PAL(on NTSC there are 8 top scanlines cut off - not shown in emulator)... so maybe I will squeeze logo and save 8 top scanlines to make it "sync".

music is designet strictly for stereo:) it is not possible to listen it in mono:)

Well... till now I did not want to build in a stereo update in my Atari because I want them to be original (I only work with external upgrades). But this games justifies this operation!

I'll let you know when I have done the upgrade (might take a while, since I have to decide what atari I will use for that)

Am I right btw. that this happens in the game?

Let's say I create this row:

RED4 RED4 RED

That this RED (not 4) disappears but that the RED4 RED4 stays on the screen?

I was wondering why is the RED removed?

Basic rule is that you need at least 3 same colored adjacent tiles in row/column to make them disappear - let's call that "3-line". This is something that ALWAYS applies,

even when 4s and 5s come to game.

Additional rule is that in order to destroy 4, you need to build 4-line or 5-line. It applies similarly to 5s - which can be destroyed only by 5-line.

4 turn to bomb, which needs to to be part of (at least) 3-line, then it destroys itself and 4 adjacent tiles in shape of cross (top,bottom,left,right).

5 turn to cluster bomb, which also needs to be part of (at least) 3-line and then it destroys all same-colored tiles.

..that's all.

I'm not sure if you could understand my explanation... because it was quite hard for me to write it at least understandable as it is... sorry for my english, i tried to keep it simple.

• Like 1

Simply because it was not finished back then.

But you had 6 hours to complete it instead of the creation of 3plex!!!! :grin:

Nah... better this way. Now we have 2 more puzzle games to deal with.

I've just finished my first Quarrion try, and got 2922 points. And waiting for 3plex to try it.

BTW, I tried Quarrion in Altirra, and the music sounded somehow distorted... in your video it sounds clear. I thought it was a NTSC issue and a 1 every 6 frames filler in the tracker's tempo, but it also sounds distorted in PAL emulation. Now I know it is a mono/stereo issue.

• Like 1

But you had 6 hours to complete it instead of the creation of 3plex!!!! :grin:

Yes, but quarrion had couple bugs that were "put on shelf" for a long time... so it took me some time to fix all DLI related stuff..like 2 days or so.

and then i had to create some title screen and ask Poison to compose the music. He has done great job.

could someone try this alternate logo on real HW if it still causes troubles?

attachicon.gifq_logo2.xex

The logo works, but there is a strange dotted line on the right of the logo which I don't see in your movie.

That logo is also there on emulator (see attachment)

There is no text under the logo... I can imagine it was not just the logo but the issue only occured in case of Logo + the rest of the display list.

could someone try this alternate logo on real HW if it still causes troubles?

attachicon.gifq_logo2.xex

Works fine on my hybrid 800 system. Only the title screen had the issue, game itself is fine.

880 is a bit low ;), difficulty starts to be interesting after you score 900, there are 5 tiles added every move then.

Well, that was just a first attempt. It's a very slow day at work, so I'm playing (on an emulator - no real Ataris at work, unfortunately) and my best so far is 2858. Enjoying it very much. This may be my favorite puzzler since Swapz.