IGNORED

Is there a project to make smaller PEB?

Manic1975

Guys is there a project to make a smaller PEB? Is there project to make PCB with 3 slots? It could have 32k memory expansion and floppy controler and rs232 or parallel connector for printer.

Original PEB is big and heavy. I think it would be nice to have someting smaller and cheaper to buy then large PEB.

Maybe we could build box for this smaller PEB at home and then put components together.

I have CF7 and I know about nanoPEB, but I would like to have something like PEB. I didn't buy PEB because price and shipping is too high for me (I live in Croatia, Europe).

On Floppy controler I could connect Lotharek's floppy emulator.

It is interesting dream but is there any chance to make something like this? I know our hardware guys may have some ideas how to realize this.

• Like 1

I don't know of a project at going on now, though it is a good idea, something similar to the old Corcomp/Myarc series with a edge card ribbon cable instead of the flex interface and 32k Sram, and a FPGA based floppy/hard controller or CPLD like used on the CF7+/NanoPeb. These could be mounted in sockets on board the backplane and still have slots for cards like the Rave/Horizon ramdisks, triple tech card and so forth.

hey a Zenoboard PEB, sounds great.

• Like 2

I'am not sure how difficult is to build new smaller controler. But if we use floppy controler maybe we have to copy some known controller design.

You guys said that you have new 32k memory expansion for PEB. Maybe we can use it in this project.

Can you said what you can already use for this miniPEB.

Please correct me if I'am wrong.

Actually, there are at least two designs out there for smaller PEBs and two more for putting a TI style backplane into a PC case. The smaller ones came from Australia, and are well documented on the WHT site (the CADET, which adds a lot of power in a small space), or the 4-slot PEB (documented in the TI BUG newsletters).

On larger backplanes, you have the Microstuph board (I have one of these) or the Rave PE2 (I have one of these as well).

Of all of them, it might be easiest to do something similar to the four-slot board, as that one includes the interfacing to connect it to the console. . .and it is actually on my project list for work at some point in time. That will be a while though, as I have several projects ahead of it in my queue. . .

• Like 2

Yeh, I have the Rave PE2 also and am planning to set it up with a Geneve and a TIM empowered TI. The old rave case is still serviceable, though somewhat rusty, but my plans are to install it in a modern mid tower using the Rave backplane. I am also planning on trying to create an adapter to use older 8 bit and 16 bit PC cards in it. This will be my main PEB, but I will be looking at other options as well.

Actually, there are at least two designs out there for smaller PEBs and two more for putting a TI style backplane into a PC case. The smaller ones came from Australia, and are well documented on the WHT site (the CADET, which adds a lot of power in a small space), or the 4-slot PEB (documented in the TI BUG newsletters).

On larger backplanes, you have the Microstuph board (I have one of these) or the Rave PE2 (I have one of these as well).

Of all of them, it might be easiest to do something similar to the four-slot board, as that one includes the interfacing to connect it to the console. . .and it is actually on my project list for work at some point in time. That will be a while though, as I have several projects ahead of it in my queue. . .

I Know that you probably have several project in queue. But it would be nice to have possibility to build smaller PEB.

Thank you for answer!

It occurs to me that the power supply does not have to be a large and separate unit as it exists now. In fact, given something like the PicoPSU or similar device, the power supply could easily exist on a card.

BRILLIANT! I never knew about this little power supply. You're right, the connector could be built right onto the back plane's circuit board, talk about a space and weight saver! A perfect little project for a DIY guy. I'm not sure what would be cheaper in the end, a P-Box or this arrangement with power supply, case and back plane.

s-l300.jpg Neat concept.s-l1600.jpg

I don't think cheaper(though less is always good, as long as quality is good) is the question here, but feasibility and and portability. I would say yes it is very possible, and I have an old TI into a Kaypro II case project, that I had started years ago that would benefit from some of this new stuff. F18, with a small VGA flat screen mounted where the green screen used to be, 32k on board mod and ubergrom with two lothertec or gotek drives where the 360k floppies used to reside and one of my Rave 99 keyboard cards or one of the new ps/2 adapters. Yes!

Edited by RickyDean

No I don't know if there could be a problem, but in Post http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242049-cramming-stuff-into-or-on-the-ti-console/?do=findComment&comment=3309408on Fri Aug, 28, 2015 8:24 AM I posted a picture of an interface cablw that I made that connected two PEB backplanes together via slots. I had used this setup in a giant tower case I had built to house a Geneve with a lot of Myarc and Horizon Ramdisks and for the time I used it I never had an issue (about 6 months, before packing everything up for shipment and storage in the late 90's)