IGNORED

Vectrex Controller Plug issue

raiderxx

Hello, I recently found a Vectrex controller and upon bringing it home and plugging it in, I noticed that the buttons do not work. I checked the controller on a friend's Vectrex as well and found it to have the same issue there. I took it apart hoping that it was simply the board needed to be cleaned or something needed resoldering. But I found everything inside to be in great condition! I checked all of the contacts with a multimeter and then moved to the D9 plug. I stuck a piece of wire in number 8 in the plug and then went through each button. Wire in 1 and a wire in 8, touch the multimeter to each wires, hit the button and BOOM I have a complete circuit. And so on and so on. So. The only thing I can think of would be that since NONE of the buttons are working with the Vectrex, that there is a problem with the contact on number 8, which is common on all four buttons when completing a circuit. Is that logic correct? I know JUST enough of this stuff to have built my own controller out of a Vectrex, so maybe I am missing something.. The plug end is also extremely beat up at the end. See picture below. I don't know if someone was gnawing on it or what.

So my question is, if there is an issue with the contact on pin 8 on the controller, is there anything I can do about it, sans wiring up a new cord? I'd really like to keep everything original as possible, but I don't see a way to get inside the plug to see if I can't tighten that female pin of the plug. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

post-36500-0-55642000-1444783325_thumb.jpg

You could "clean up" the end of the plug by a little filing.. Looks like those pins sit pretty far back, filing would also reduce the distance so that better pin contact could be made.

You could also build yourself an arcade controller, a member here made PCBs available with gerber files that could be downloaded, then uploaded to a board fab shop of your choice. Populate the board and use a controller of your choosing.. I used a neo geo x controller on my build.

You could "clean up" the end of the plug by a little filing.. Looks like those pins sit pretty far back, filing would also reduce the distance so that better pin contact could be made.

Pardon my confusion, but wouldn't filing make the pins sit further back? Wouldn't I want them to sit closer or be a tighter fit for the male pins on the Vectrex side?

You could also build yourself an arcade controller, a member here made PCBs available with gerber files that could be downloaded, then uploaded to a board fab shop of your choice. Populate the board and use a controller of your choosing.. I used a neo geo x controller on my build.

This is actually my second Vectrex controller so more than likely it will rarely if ever be used. I just got it for basically nothing at a garage sale and wanted to see if I could restore it. I built myself two Genesis controllers a few weeks ago and they work great!

Pardon my confusion, but wouldn't filing make the pins sit further back? Wouldn't I want them to sit closer or be a tighter fit for the male pins on the Vectrex side?

This is actually my second Vectrex controller so more than likely it will rarely if ever be used. I just got it for basically nothing at a garage sale and wanted to see if I could restore it. I built myself two Genesis controllers a few weeks ago and they work great!

Nope, just the opposite. :)

Filing the front face of the plug, removing a little material, which would bring the pins closer..reducing the depth. This would allow for a better connection..

I've had to do this with a few DB9 controller extension cables. Out of the box, I wasn't getting proper contact because the pins sat too far back, so I had to trim the face back slightly and it took care of the intermittent controller problems. Hopefully this makes sense.

Good score on the controller though either way, I also like using Genesis pads on my Vectrex as well, they work great.

Nope, just the opposite. :)

Filing the front face of the plug, removing a little material, which would bring the pins closer..reducing the depth. This would allow for a better connection..

I've had to do this with a few DB9 controller extension cables. Out of the box, I wasn't getting proper contact because the pins sat too far back, so I had to trim the face back slightly and it took care of the intermittent controller problems. Hopefully this makes sense.

Good score on the controller though either way, I also like using Genesis pads on my Vectrex as well, they work great.

Of course!! Thanks!! The idea to actually file the plastic never crossed my mind! Awesome idea!! I'll definitely try that out and report back. Thanks!

• Like 1