IGNORED

Amiga CD32 to 1200?

gladders

So I am looking into Amiga hardware. A 500 is on its way to me now :)

I am looking next into a CD32. I understand that it can be turned into a 1200 computer with the addition of things like a floppy disk drive. Does this mean it can play 1200 games?

If, instead, I were to mod the CD32 to load games from a USB (i.e. disc drive emulation), would it load 1200 games no trouble? How about OCS/ECS games?

Ta!

To expand a CD32, you need something like the Paravision SX1 or DCE SX-32 expansion units. As far as I know, you can't plug in either a floppy drive or a keyboard as it is, directly to the unit. Those expansion units though are rare and expensive, so you might find a regular Amiga 1200 far easier to get, even if those are a bit pricy too.

I don't know how to mod a CD32 to use anything else than optical discs, but it is possible such mods exist. The specs seem similar enough, and I know a number of budget CD games were older Amiga 500 games put on a CD and then loaded on the CD32. Not all Amiga 500 games will run on an Amiga 1200 as well, some can be tricked by changing display settings, disabling additional hardware etc.

As far as I've understood, the CD32 only plays with 650 MB discs, not the 700 MB variety even if you only burn them for 650 MB.

To expand a CD32, you need something like the Paravision SX1 or DCE SX-32 expansion units. As far as I know, you can't plug in either a floppy drive or a keyboard as it is, directly to the unit. Those expansion units though are rare and expensive, so you might find a regular Amiga 1200 far easier to get, even if those are a bit pricy too.

I don't know how to mod a CD32 to use anything else than optical discs, but it is possible such mods exist. The specs seem similar enough, and I know a number of budget CD games were older Amiga 500 games put on a CD and then loaded on the CD32. Not all Amiga 500 games will run on an Amiga 1200 as well, some can be tricked by changing display settings, disabling additional hardware etc.

As far as I've understood, the CD32 only plays with 650 MB discs, not the 700 MB variety even if you only burn them for 650 MB.

You can plug a keyboard directly into the cd32. The port for it is on the side. U can use a a4000 keyboard right out of the box. Or you can hack a a500 keyboard to work with the cd32, like i did.

You COULD add a floppy drive without those expansion if you were lucky enough to stumble upon one of these. Though it is likely as rare and hard to come by as anything else AMIGA related these days. :P

Analogic Floppy Disk Drive for the Amiga CD32

http://classicgameroom.com/vaultpages/vaultpage/amiga-cd32-analogic-floppy-disk-drive/

But if I, say, modded the CD32 to load CD ISOs via a USB/SD card plugged into where the laser would go (like what's been done with the 3DO and other consoles), could the same means be used to load floppy games?

You are over simplifying, it just does not work that way, different interface and different file formats etc, like when people think "Can I load CD games using my Sega Genesis Everdives flashcart?". If you COULD create a optical drive emulator for CD32 (an impressive thing in itself) Then you have a optical drive emulator NOT a floppy drive emulator lol. NOW there ARE compilations on CD that homebrew developers have put together filled with hundreds of Floppy disk titles that have an interface to select and load many Amiga games which is cool but again it is a separate thing so theoretically this optical drive emulator would simply load those existing ISO's. Otherwise it is all just a dream / wishful thinking. Besides if you have to ask if this is possible then it seems unlikely that you will be making anything of the sort.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

So I am looking into Amiga hardware. A 500 is on its way to me now :)

I am looking next into a CD32. I understand that it can be turned into a 1200 computer with the addition of things like a floppy disk drive. Does this mean it can play 1200 games?

If, instead, I were to mod the CD32 to load games from a USB (i.e. disc drive emulation), would it load 1200 games no trouble? How about OCS/ECS games?

Ta!

I have an Elsat ProModule for my CD32. It provides all of the necessary video, parallel and floppy ports along with an IDE hard disk and built in floppy drive. It has a floppy drive port on the back as well. The ProModule also had memory slots to expand the memory. Once all assembled, you have a fully expanded CD32 that will play all AGA based games as well as all CD32 games.