IGNORED

Season 9 - Round 5 - Frenzy

250px-COLECO_VISION_LOGO.svg.png

ROUND 5 - SEASON 9

4002-1.jpg

Lead your Commando against a battery of mechanical monsters in a bizarre, alien high-tech structure. Watch out for Evil Otto! Plays like the Frenzy arcade game!

Don't be fooled by Evil Otto's smile. It's deceptive. He, the robots and the skeletons are out to get your Commando!

Trapped in a bizarre, alien high-tech structure and surrounded by robots, your Commando moves from cell to cell as you face a band of deadly mechanical monsters. Odd marching skeletons clunk toward you. Robotic tanks trundle
into position. Face your enemy and fire, or be doomed by their fatal touch! Eliminate all automatons and proceed to the next assembly.

Stay alert! Your enemies now fire deadly blasts. Some cell walls ricochet the blasts--both yours and your enemy's, so watch where you fire! Worst of all is Evil Otto, the bouncing menace who passes through walls and destroys any creature on contact. It's a bizarre battle for survival as Evil Otto bounces toward you! Will you make it?

Game Information
Game Name: Frenzy
Released by: Coleco/Stern
Settings: Game 1
ROM:
Frenzy (1983)(Coleco).zip

Contest Ends
Sunday, November 1st 2015 at 11:00PM EST

Contest Rules

The HSC rules can be found here

Current High Scores

1. Nebulon 1,100,949 [+100]
2. Northcoastgamer 1,029,126 [+93]
3. sega_SHARK 254,434 [+23]
4. darthkur 61,849 [+6]
5. Mangia-Boy 52,041 [+5]
6. TPR 39,745 [+4]
7. jblenkle 21,880 [+2]
8. digress 14,514 [+1]
9. ed1475 13,794 [+1]
10. SiLic0ne t0aD85 11,373 [+1]
11. Darrin9999 10,988 [+1]
12. roadrunner 4,434 [+0]

Leaderboard(up to end of prior round)

1. Northcoastgamer [371] (4) 3
2. sega_SHARK [264] (4) 1
3. coleco1981 [212] (4)
4. darthkur [184] (4)
5. ed1475 [159] (4)
6. TPR [147] (4)
7. jblenkle [136] (4)
8. atariron82 [114] (4)
9. Mangia-Boy [110] (3)
10. S.BAZ [91] (4)
11. klasko54 [54] (1)
12. SiLic0ne t0aD85 [47] (2)
13. roadrunner [30] (3)

[ ] = Points
( ) = Rounds Played

BLUE = Rounds Won Edited by coleco1981

So some strategies this time around that seemed to work pretty well:

- Hiding and letting the robots destroy themselves

- Not waiting around to destroy all the enemies for the bonus and just getting out of a level quicker

- Levels where I was able to easily kill all the robots, wait around for Otto and kill him a couple of times.

Being someone who used to own a Berzerk machine, I had sort of forgotten the rules of Frenzy that you can now touch the walls and the robots without dying so I sort of used that to my advantage. I'm getting better but I feel like it's still a game I'll never be able to master.

Screen Shot 2015-10-24 at 15.29.01.png

• Like 1

So some strategies this time around that seemed to work pretty well:

- Hiding and letting the robots destroy themselves

- Not waiting around to destroy all the enemies for the bonus and just getting out of a level quicker

- Levels where I was able to easily kill all the robots, wait around for Otto and kill him a couple of times.

Being someone who used to own a Berzerk machine, I had sort of forgotten the rules of Frenzy that you can now touch the walls and the robots without dying so I sort of used that to my advantage. I'm getting better but I feel like it's still a game I'll never be able to master.

All of this is solid advice. ^^

This page is a bit of a cluster, but It does have some really good tips:

http://spyhunter007.com/frenzy_new_high_score.htm

The short version is:

Control where Evil Otto spawns. Control where you spawn.

Try to exit rooms using only the bottom of the east wall, or the far left of the north wall.

You might have to shoot out some dots to make an exit, but Evil Otto will always spawn on the bottom west wall.

It's easier to rack up three kills on Otto if you know where he is coming from. You can shoot out your exit and camp him by standing near your exit. This allows you to escape quickly when the impossible #4 Otto spawns.

If you use these two exits, you will always spawn on the bottom left.

Running this pattern really helped me.

Edited by sega_SHARK
  • Like 1

1,029,126 Skill 1. Had the day off yesterday, so I started early in the morning and finished late afternoon. It was around 11 hours total. The first video starts just under 985,000 and shows rollage around the 12:45 mark. My camera turned off, so I to record a second video for the final score.

Edited by Northcoastgamer
  • Like 2