IGNORED

Thinking of offering Refurb/Upgrade Services

cowdog360

I'm thinking about offering Refurb/Repair/Upgrade services for the Lynx here in the US. I've upgraded/repaired a few now, and they've all turned out great. Here's what I'm thinking of providing. If it's not appropriate to talk $ in the forum, let me know. These are just rough ideas, and was wondering if people would think these are fair?

Reliability Upgrade:

$40 - Includes Recapping, New 5V Regulator, New Power Mosfet. Add $5 for new speaker. Of course I'd clean everything up and polish the plastic screen cover if needed. I'd also replace the power jack if needed and add hot glue to refinforce the jack.

LCD Upgrade:

Cost of McWill Screen + $30 for the install. (or $10 if adding on to the above package).

Shipping would be covered by the owner. If I could get my hands on some new plastic LCD covers and also the button matrix cable stuff, that would be good.

What do you all think? As some general info about me, I'm an electronics hobbyist and have been building/repairing things for over 20 years. I have a degree in Computer Engineering, and a passion for retro stuff. Some things I've repaired over the years include Amiga systems, vintage audio equipment (Marantz, Kenwood, etc). I have good tools for desoldering/soldering (Hakko vaccuum desoldering, and a hot air station for SMD), so there is very minimal chances of having board/component damage.

• Like 1

I would say it is much needed. Even if the Lynx can be opened relatively easily, the normal user will not have compression air, spare parts etc at hand, and rather prefer to have someone "certified"/respected do the job, especially if it takes you just a day or two, which for me, for example, would take weeks of reading tutorials, ordering parts (and additional weeks of waiting) and then having to stall again because AGAIN, one screw/one 10 cents cap is missing => re-order=> wait another few weeks => anger :D ;)

Edited by Atari_afternoon

I got the McWill upgrade, but my screen has dust in it, and scratches on it (had the screen installed in a second Lynx to leave my original untarnished.) Any way you can get your hands on new clear plastic screen covers? Because I could go for that service...

Also: Post a pic or two of the ones you have done if you can.

Edited by travistouchdown

I got the McWill upgrade, but my screen has dust in it, and scratches on it (had the screen installed in a second Lynx to leave my original untarnished.) Any way you can get your hands on new clear plastic screen covers? Because I could go for that service...

Also: Post a pic or two of the ones you have done if you can.

I'll see what I can do about getting the clear screen covers. I see brand new ones pop up on ebay once in a while, and I think best has them. I'd like to build up a small stock of the common parts for repairs/refurbing so I don't have to order much in. I'll get some photos of the ones I've done. I'm going do basic repairs on two I have here hopefully in the next week., so I'll be sure to snap photos.

• 3 weeks later...

So I posted up the pricing and services in the marketplace. Regarding new plastic covers, best products does have them for about $20. There is a person on ebay selling "like new" ones for $10. I've taken a few out and re-polished them and they are easy to remove and install. The Novus polish works pretty good, but heavy scratches are tough. I might have to try wet-sanding.