IGNORED

Motocross and Bliss32

Shannon

Eh? What'd you do to get Motocross working?

Sorry. I'm being a combination ass/troll. :(

"ln" was a joke reference to using Unix symlinking. I just point bliss.exe/nostalgia.exe (more correctly, their linux equivalents) to jzintv.exe. I mean I don't, really - I just run jzintv. Bad attempt at a joke about "patching".

I'm just kinda surprised. I always found Intellivision emulator compatibility to be "very good" way back when. But I'm realizing that I must not have tested very much until jzintv was mature. There must some outstanding issues with the older emus that I just never stumbled upon. A lot of platforms had these kinds of issues for many years (heck, some still do), but with the Intellivision library being so small it always felt like emulation was pretty strong.

Ahh... well you fooled me! :lol:

No problem. Silly me was thinking you grabbed the source, updated it, and recompiled. :P

@Intvnut... thanks for that program. I'll take a looksie when I get chance and report the results.

Edited by Shannon
  • Like 1

On a side note... I was reading the manual for "Boxing" and noticed this line...

"Important: Use ONE control at a time. Pressing two keys together, or a key and the Disc may cause the TV screen to go BLANK. Should that happen, press any key. Picture returns, fight continues."

I presume the 'ol "Press 1 and 3 or 7 and 9" to pause game instructions are actually EXEC functions. Hence the "It's a feature, not a bug" comment in the Boxing manual. :lol:

• Like 1

On a side note... I was reading the manual for "Boxing" and noticed this line...

"Important: Use ONE control at a time. Pressing two keys together, or a key and the Disc may cause the TV screen to go BLANK. Should that happen, press any key. Picture returns, fight continues."

I presume the 'ol "Press 1 and 3 or 7 and 9" to pause game instructions are actually EXEC functions. Hence the "It's a feature, not a bug" comment in the Boxing manual. :lol:

Hehe … Yep. Keypad-mashing game that's gonna happen.

Yepperoonios. Games that use the EXEC get that feature "automatically," even if their input control scheme would rather they not. There's ways a program can bypass it and still use the EXEC, but... documentation is easier and doesn't take up precious ROM space. ;)

I have to say... the Intellivision is an interesting creature... Just the whole way the thing is built and all the odd little quirks because of it. :lol:

Yup :) Every platform has its quirks, but I find the Intellivision an endlessly fascinating creature to work with. Its quirks are more charm than frustration, which helps.

If we were forced to use the EXEC, I might sing a different tune. It was very innovative in 1980, but not so much now.

It looks like it's running slightly faster than jzIntv, but also stealing more cycles during active display. It manages to get one or two more iterations in in the screen-off mode, but fewer iterations with the screen on. We're matched in terms of how long the System RAM stays in bus copy mode.

EDIT: Actually Bliss stays in bus-copy longer. If you look closely at the first screen, IRQ Per manages to get about 4 more writes over to the GRAM on Bliss as compared to jzIntv.

I should run this on the Intellivision again. It's been awhile.

Man... Motocross is very sensitive to something in the timing. But what?

Edited by intvnut

What your saying about the first screen I think may be the more useful information. If I slow the processor speed down (yeah I know technically incorrect) Motocross will eventually run. However if I bump up the speed in increments from that "magic" point I noticed that on IRQ Per it gets in less writes over GRAM and that on Motocross the point it messes up less of the screen is messing up. Almost like it is overwriting the GRAM?

I think I'm going to have to look at a disassembly and a trace. Obviously there's a race condition. (In a racing game? No, that's not ironic!)

Dreadnaught Factor had a similar race condition crash in its initialization code that prevents it from operating on PAL systems without a patch.

• Like 2

I think I'm going to have to look at a disassembly and a trace. Obviously there's a race condition. (In a racing game? No, that's not ironic!)

Dreadnaught Factor had a similar race condition crash in its initialization code that prevents it from operating on PAL systems without a patch.

I recall we found a similar problem in Christmas Carol, where the first release crashed on PAL consoles. It led us to notice that the PAL speed in jzIntv was not accurate, which is why it never manifested in emulation.

I recall we found a similar problem in Christmas Carol, where the first release crashed on PAL consoles. It led us to notice that the PAL speed in jzIntv was not accurate, which is why it never manifested in emulation.

IIRC, once we fixed jzIntv, didn't we see it fail there too? I forget. Even if we did, I seem to recall (and this is hazy now) we decided to test on real PAL systems anyway, because we were paranoid. I remember we both ended up going out and trying to find PAL hardware.

The bigger punch line: Race conditions suck. :)

Edited by intvnut

IIRC, once we fixed jzIntv, didn't we see it fail there too? I forget. Even if we did, I seem to recall (and this is hazy now) we decided to test on real PAL systems anyway, because we were paranoid. I remember we both ended up going out and trying to find PAL hardware.

The bigger punch line: Race conditions suck. :)

You didn't fix it then, we acknowledged that there was a timing issue and you said that you should "revisit the PAL implementation" in jzIntv at some point. I think you eventually fixed it, but that was much later, perhaps for Kroz or BD. By then we had already done the PAL-recall of carts to European customers. I know I had to rush out and purchase a PAL console, a voltage converter, and a video signal decoder in order to test the game fix on real hardware.

Damn, yes. Race conditions such.

• Like 1