IGNORED

Trying to source a part for a development Uber Cart

Omega-TI

I'd like to have an Uber Cart for temporary use and/or development testing/beta work, so I figured a having a PLCC32 ZIF socket on an Uber Cart might be useful, but all the ZIF sockets I'm finding are already mounted to adapter boards for burners. Has anyone located a source for a stand alone PLCC32 ZIF socket?

post-35324-0-46023700-1445749370_thumb.jpg

post-35324-0-58531400-1445749371_thumb.jpg

There is one problem with your plan here--look at the size of the flap-type ZIF in your picture. You can get them separately, and the pins are properly spaced for what you want to do, but you will need to put the socket onto a set of pogo pins to raise it above all of the rest of the components on the board, as that socket will not fit otherwise. Even there, it would be best if the pogo pins had a bit of stiffening FR4 board material at the top to ensure that everything remained stable. There is also a smaller, square dead-bug style ZIF socket, but it too is too big footprint-wise to fit. There is not a lot of free space on that board. I had to work hard to get everything to fit and still be able to close the cartridge case when I did the layout. I considered trying to leave enough space for a dead-bug ZIF, but there was just no way to do it and run all of the needed traces for the other components.

There is one problem with your plan here...

Thanks for the information. I was figuring I'd use my Dremel to cut a square opening in the cartridge shell for the socket, and maybe use a small rubber gasket. Anyway since you are obviously more familiar with these things, being that you make them, I defer to your judgement. :)