IGNORED

Dragon's Lair - The Movie

5-11under

The box office is not the only way for films to make money, especially some of his films...

I think there was plenty of money making there.. ;-)

desiv

I think the Great Hierophant's point is still extremely valid. It's not like the Bluth films have been box office gold for a long time now. That can't be good for getting additional work and is probably the main reason for seeking crowd funding for a pitch video of all things. It also goes without saying that there's a reason why no new major 2D films are being made, and certainly none for anywhere near the stated $70 million target. If a film ever does get made, and it's 2D, a series of tiny miracles will have clearly happened.

I think the Great Hierophant's point is still extremely valid. It's not like the Bluth films have been box office gold for a long time now.

Not saying it's not a valid point and won't be a tough sale.

All I'm saying is that just judging by box office is missing quite a bit...

If the film will cost $70 mil, and projected to make $35 mil at the box office, but possibly another $60 in DVD/streaming/merchandising or whatever...

I'm not saying it can, just stating that for some projects, and I think a lot of Bluth's later works count, the non-box office money can be significant...

(Then there's the international sales; although I don't think Dirk would be as "world appealing" as talking Dinos are..)

I actually wonder if he'd have a better shot at a "Direct to Video" (which I suppose would be "Direct to Netflix/Amazon/Hulu" nowadays) project based on his later work...

Maybe this is one of those, shoot for Box Office and settle for Netflix, projects.. ;-)

desiv

The box office is not the only way for films to make money, especially some of his films...

I think there was plenty of money making there.. ;-)

desiv

I think the home video market in the VHS days was very good to Don Bluth films. Many probably cured their financial deficiencies there.

Avatar: The Last Airpender and its sequel The Legend of Korra show that there is room for a high quality episodic traditionally animated 2D narrative. We need more such series, there is a lot more meat in 12 episodes than in one film.

Edited by Great Hierophant
  • Like 1

Pitch is funded which is nice to see. I'm all for supporting hand drawn animated films (Redline, Studio Ghibli etc) so I'm hoping they get the funds to do the movie. I'm not as negative though cause I know it can be done. Don Bluth is getting up there in age and I for one, would love to see an animated Dragons Lair movie. I wish them all the best.

Pitch is funded which is nice to see. I'm all for supporting hand drawn animated films (Redline, Studio Ghibli etc) so I'm hoping they get the funds to do the movie. I'm not as negative though cause I know it can be done. Don Bluth is getting up there in age and I for one, would love to see an animated Dragons Lair movie. I wish them all the best.

I don't mean to be negative..I also love traditional animation and am beginning to get burnt out by all the CG cartoons. I would totally love a Dragon's Lair movie! I just don't understand why they need to beg their fans for money to make that happen. Why do they need a sizzle reel of new animation? If the end goal with this money is to make a video that shows a bunch of Dragon's Lair footage with a narrator saying "This would be a cool movie! Invest today!" why couldn't they just cobble that together with footage from the games and tv series? I have yet to see any explanation or justification for this campaign.

I don't mean to be negative..I also love traditional animation and am beginning to get burnt out by all the CG cartoons. I would totally love a Dragon's Lair movie! I just don't understand why they need to beg their fans for money to make that happen. Why do they need a sizzle reel of new animation? If the end goal with this money is to make a video that shows a bunch of Dragon's Lair footage with a narrator saying "This would be a cool movie! Invest today!" why couldn't they just cobble that together with footage from the games and tv series? I have yet to see any explanation or justification for this campaign.

The money is another matter and I agree its tacky but guess what? It's part of the business world since the dawn of time so it doesn't surprise me. (Rule #1 in any startup venture is to try and use someone else's money without having to pay it back).

In this case they give you a little swag for pitching in which I kind of liked (I'm an artist on the side).

IMO it wasn't too bad to pitch in if your a fan. I've wasted 20 bucks on worse crap and if it gets made eventually then great. They are not swindlers or anything and I've always been a fan of his work.