IGNORED

I Can't Play An RPG Ever Again

My favorite RPG series was the Ultima series. Too bad they don't make them as well as they did back then.

Todays games are nothing more than monster bashers with maybe a hint of a story line thrown in as an after thought.

Funny article by the way. I really liked it.

Other than Diablo on PS, and Dark alliance on PS2, I have never really been interested in RPGs. So, I decided to give my life a little change. I decided to find, and buy a (in my mind what I consider RPG games) my first real RPG game. I picked up Lunar 2:Eternal Blue for the PS. I'm only into the game about 3 hours. I'm going slow, and taking it all in. Because this is really a different style of gaming for me. Different being that the fights are turn based, rather then like in Diablo, it's who is the fastest and strongest.

It's pretty fun so far. Fun enough that I might look into owning another title down the road. That Breath of Fire:Quarter Dragon (on PS2) thats coming out looks like it might be cool.

So, I guess this is really nothing more than a RPG noob checking in.

If RPGs didn't have a story, I wouldn't play them at all. They are too much the same in style. Only the story provides enough variety to keep my interest.

"Hey Y'all! look at them there ve-hicles going around a circle 500 times!"

Heh heh... isn't that what most racing is about? I mean even in Formula 1 Road Races, you eventually go around in a circle.

Here's why I enjoy watching NASCAR and Indy Car Races:

- Watching 40 cars going at 200 miles an hour (440 km/h) side-by-side is fun.

- The crashes are spectacular.

- The short tracks have a lot of bumping and grinding.

I will say this though: The racing was a lot more interesting 20 years ago when cars were all different from one another. You'd see drivers constantly passing one another and struggling to keep the car on the track. BUT NOW, it's just a lineup because all the cars are essentially equal to one another. Very little happens from one lap to the next. 20 years ago it was exciting, but now it's rather boring with little variety.

So I often play a videogame on my computer rather than actually watch the races. If something major happens (a wreck or final 10 laps) then I pay attention again.

BTW, I have NASCAR Heat. PLAYING a race is a lot more interesting than watching. You should try it sometime.

I don't like the crashes, i've seen too many drivers, spectaters, and track workers killed to enjoy them. I'm in it just for the racing.

I prefer Papyrus's NASCAR sims for the realism and online play. I have NASCAR Heat but it was too arcade like for me to enjoy and I never saw more than 8-10 drivers in any online race.

I prefer Papyrus's NASCAR sims for the realism and online play. I have NASCAR Heat but it was too arcade like for me to enjoy and I never saw more than 8-10 drivers in any online race.

You can play NASCAR Heat online? Didn't know that. The single-player game has ~40 cars on the track (sorry, forget the exact number) and drafting and a garage for adjusting you car, so it's realistic enough for me.

I just bought the new Heat 2: Dirt to Daytona which is pretty cool. You can race dirt tracks, modifieds, trucks, and of course Winston Cup so there's a lot more variety.

I would probably use that Windows-based game you use, but frankly I'm tired of buying PC games and then either (a) wasting hours getting them to work or (b) not working at all!!!! PS2 games may not be cutting edge, but at least I know they work.

(sigh) (I miss the good old days of reliable computers like Atari 800, Commodore=64, and Amiga 500. When you purchased a game, it worked. No need to fiddle with settings or tear apart your computer.)

Yep, EA had exclusive console rights to NASCAR. And when Papyrus/Sierra decided they wanted to expand beyond just PC games and go to consoles, it meant the death of the series. NASCAR Racing 2003 Season is the last NASCAR title from them. Since EA's titles suck, its my last NASCAR game as well I guess.

Some other company might develop a PC NASCAR game I suppose beyond EA, since they don't have exclusive PC rights. But I doubt any future NASCAR sims will match Papyrus's final effort. The simulation genre is dieing and this is last of its kind it appears.

Archived