IGNORED

alpiner on the ti 99

BuckoBrand

I remember getting past level 12, i.e. twice all mountains (1-6), first round with falling rocks, second round with avalanches, and third round (levels 13-18) with icicles. I don't believe I made it to the end, though.

P.S.: I remember once there was a documentary feature on German Television, at some time near the end of the 80ies, which showed Alpiner in their teaser. They used it as a symbol for the rise and spreading of home computer technology, with concerns about its possible future (in the view of that era), showing how the climber got hit by rocks...

Edited by mizapf

Last time I played I could get to around level 9 or so... the falling avalanches are so damn fast you almost have NO time to react. In fact... I'd go so far as to say it's pure luck to avoid them in a lot of cases.

An early strategy me and my brother figured out was to move your alpiner to the side of the screen so he was equally split between left and right sides. It would buy you a few extra moves to get out of the way of falling objects. Unfortunately, in the later part of the game, the falling objects will come split screen as well...

I do remember being disappointed by the abominable snowman... I was expecting a big Yeti creature like from Empire Strikes Back, and instead it's some stick figure with a goofy hat on skis...

There's no end to Alpine... I did a video debunking the "third time through" ending some time ago (while showing how to find cheats with the debugger). ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qjZN6qf1wk

Too cool.... I watched all 34 minutes of that. :)

Interesting how you can look at scratchpad and instinctively know what the writes are doing and to what addresses they are being written. I imagine that took quite a bit of time and practice. It was a fun watch, for both the boy and me.

Thanks. It takes time to build intuition, of course, but you can make guesses right off. For instance, if a value only changes when you move, you know it has something to do with movement. If it changes for left/right but not up/down, then it's something to do with horizontal movement, etc. Just keep narrowing it down. Eventually you do have to guess - come up with a value you can write that will test your theory. Then just keep iterating :)