IGNORED

Confounded by Roller Controller Problem

Cosmic Avenger

Hi, guys.

So, I recently came by a loose roller controller that (from the outside) appeared to be in very good shape: no frayed wires, no scratches or dings on the case and all buttons and ports appeared clean and in good order... again, this was loose and nothing was around to test it on. It was $5 so I figured I'd take the gamble...'

Well, as it turns out it is basically a paper weight. When power is plugged in, joysticks are plugged in and joystick-to-console cables are secure, I get absolutely nothing. I can circumnavigate the game selection screen by unplugging the roller controller, plugging the joystick directly into the console and getting into the game itself (Slither, of course) but otherwise: I get nothing on either joystick mode or roller mode. I'm wondering if you guys have any ideas. I've seen threads on here mostly regarding failure of the trackball rollers but I can't even get that far.

Here's what I've done so far:

- Disassembled everything and gave it a real good cleaning (also discovered some rather large dead bugs inside -- creepy).

- Tested capacitors (all 6 tested well) on a multi-meter

- Tested the plug (power, at least, is going through the AC adapter plug and through the subsequent roller controller plug at 5V and 12V where necessary)

- Tested power-in at the roller controller PCB. Here, it's a little spotty but I put that down to user error. I get anywhere from 4.9 to 5.1V depending on how shaky I am.

- Because of the previous point, I desoldered the two power wires at the PCB and tested across them - I got a consistent 5V just off the bare wires.

That's about where my testing/repair knowledge ends... I've never used a roller controller before but normally by this point I've discovered broken solder or bad caps that I then easily replace. So for the time being, I will stare at the pile of electronics and tools sitting on my kitchen table until my wife forces me to abandon the venture.

I'm completely at a loss...

Thanks, everyone.

Usually the sensors for the Trakball are the culprit to a none working Roller Controller and everything else works... firebuttons on the RC as well as controllers plugged into the DB9 ports in the controller wells.

Seeing as this is not the case and you are getting power to the unit thru the power adapter daisy chained to the CVs power connector, it would seem to be an issue of the trace(s) on the PCB that carry power to the trakball, firebuttons and DB9 ports... probably right after the power connector inside the unit.

It occurred to me that IR can be seen by cameras (oh yeah... forgot about that tidbit). At least now I can confirm that the x-axis emitters are working (2 x blue lights) but the sensors are likely toast - hence the positive x-axis movement only.

Y-axis emitters are dead. Can't tell at this point is the receivers are working or not. At least this is progress.

I've ordered a few matched pairs of IR emitters/receivers. I'll see if that fixes everything.

Y-axis

X-axis