IGNORED

Wanted: Feedback For Mario Bros. & Fight Night

nosweargamer

...Kaettekita Mario Bros, from 1988. It corrected the graphics of the Shellcreepers, added the animation to kick over the shells, but they ruined Mario's jump. In this version, Mario's jump can be controlled in mid air, much like Super Mario Bros. This COMPLETELY RUINS the entire game...

...I would like to see the version of Mario Bros Classic that retains the original, uncontrollable jump and has the full sidestepper animations!! I am assuming this is for the NES??...

Unfortunately, the version stardust is referring to has the same jump issue as Kaettekita Mario Bros. In fact, it is the same exact version, minus the advertisements between levels and Nagatanien World.

While it does improve upon the NES original, that jump mechanic is not arcade perfect, and for NTSC has the additional issue of playing and sounding slightly faster than normal due to the PAL/NTSC speed difference for being set to play under parts of the PAL region.

Out of the four "challenges" listed:

1) Mario would slide before changing directions.

2) Mario Mario was not controllable after take-off.

3) Luigi could hit Mario from below and knock him off into an enemy OR away from an enemy. (or vice-versa)

4) A player could land on top of another and spring board off of them. This temporarily smushed the player, leaving them immobile.

It has 3 out of 4 in place accurately.

Here's a general play video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_6QSgdIsMw

Nonetheless, arguably it is currently the best available home system port of Mario Bros. despite the aforementioned issues. :)

Can you direct me to this fixed version?

http://www.filedropper.com/mariobrosclassicseriee

:ponder:

THANKS!

I agree that the improvements made are GREAT. I am really, really sorry about the jump, because it ruins EVERYTHING for me. :(

I am heartbroken about this, because I can see that it is all there except one MAJORLY IMPORTANT piece of the gameplay.. Guiding Mario when he walks of a ledge or mid-jump changes the game completely, and it eliminates much of the original challenge.

However, you can bet your butt I am going to download it and add it to my NES Everdrive cart.

PLEASE SOMEBODY!!! FIX THE JUMP ON THIS VERSION AND THROTTLE IT TO NTSC. it will be the FIRST PERFECT home version.

Does this have the icicles? That's definitely another sadly missing item from all modern versions, except Mario Bros XE

Give the shortcomings of the jump, I would say this puts it about on equal ground with the Mario Bros XE game.

NES Classic has better graphics and almost arcade-perfect, but XE version is on the same boat. Better jump physics (not perfect), but DOES have the icicles after the slipice!

There are some collision and acceleration issues when jumping, but it's pretty complete. Mario Bros at home has previously always lacked the icicles, which REALLY add to the complexity in the later levels!

Edited by darryl1970
  • Like 1

Starting with Round 17. It is preceded by the third bonus round which turns invisible while playing it.

That is awesome. Thanks for sharing.

I really wish somebody could hack the jump and throttle to 60. It sounds like this is what I was HOPING for when I bought the NES cart back in high school! I would have been disappointed with the jump, but I think I could have let it slide with everything this packs in!

There are a couple of things additional to fix/clean-up that would also assist with matching the Arcade, off the bat, besides the aforementioned:

-Flies...From the top platform on their third bounce they fall directly to the next landing. In the Arcade, they should touch the top platform again allowing you to hit them from underneath. In other words, in the Arcade you have three chances to flip over the flies when they first exit and are on the top. The NES port(s) only allow two attempts and then they fall to the next level.

-Turtles...They move and enter the round too fast from the start. In the Arcade, particularly the very first round, a player can easily make it to the second plateau and take all three turtles out without issue. Even when adjusting for speed difference (Throw the ROM under Nestopia, set region to PAL and play it), the left turtle exits the pipe and is already dropping to the second plateau before you can even finish your jump to that plateau.

...There are a few others - some really superficial ones such as color of text and such, improving Slipice's and the icicles graphics, etc...I would start to go Donkey Kong PK / XM exacting on this game if it were to be done as Arcade accurate as possible...Which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. :P

Regardless, as previously stated, this is (arguably) the best port of the game available. :)

• Like 2

THANKS!

I agree that the improvements made are GREAT. I am really, really sorry about the jump, because it ruins EVERYTHING for me. :(

I am heartbroken about this, because I can see that it is all there except one MAJORLY IMPORTANT piece of the gameplay.. Guiding Mario when he walks of a ledge or mid-jump changes the game completely, and it eliminates much of the original challenge.

However, you can bet your butt I am going to download it and add it to my NES Everdrive cart.

PLEASE SOMEBODY!!! FIX THE JUMP ON THIS VERSION AND THROTTLE IT TO NTSC. it will be the FIRST PERFECT home version.

Does this have the icicles? That's definitely another sadly missing item from all modern versions, except Mario Bros XE

Give the shortcomings of the jump, I would say this puts it about on equal ground with the Mario Bros XE game.

NES Classic has better graphics and almost arcade-perfect, but XE version is on the same boat. Better jump physics (not perfect), but DOES have the icicles after the slipice!

There are some collision and acceleration issues when jumping, but it's pretty complete. Mario Bros at home has previously always lacked the icicles, which REALLY add to the complexity in the later levels!

There are a couple of things additional to fix/clean-up that would also assist with matching the Arcade, off the bat, besides the aforementioned:

-Flies...From the top platform on their third bounce they fall directly to the next landing. In the Arcade, they should touch the top platform again allowing you to hit them from underneath. In other words, in the Arcade you have three chances to flip over the flies when they first exit and are on the top. The NES port(s) only allow two attempts and then they fall to the next level.

-Turtles...They move and enter the round too fast from the start. In the Arcade, particularly the very first round, a player can easily make it to the second plateau and take all three turtles out without issue. Even when adjusting for speed difference (Throw the ROM under Nestopia, set region to PAL and play it), the left turtle exits the pipe and is already dropping to the second plateau before you can even finish your jump to that plateau.

...There are a few others - some really superficial such as color of text and such, improving Slipice's and the icicles graphics, etc...I would start to go Donkey Kong PK / XM exacting on this game if it were to be done as Arcade accurate as possible...Which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. :P

Regardless, as previously stated, this is (arguably) the best port of the game available. :)

Still things additional to fix in the NES Kaettekita Mario Bros:

-Turtles walk animation: only 3 frame (6 frame on Atari XE version)

- phase sequence incorrectly ( correct on Atari XE version)

- levels layout: position and aspect ratio of the large hydraulic tubes (more accurate on Atari XE version)

- large control valve of the hydraulic tubes: missing (included on Atari XE version)

- Intro animations: Bonus Coin graphics missing (included on Atari XE version)

I could go on ... :P

Side note, the Atari XE version of Mario Bros has been made by Sculptured Software (7800 version: Alien Brigade / Commando / Dark Chambers). ;)

A nice video here :-D :

* Getting back on topic:

7800 Mario Bros. = Meh.

7800 Fight Night = Trash.

• Like 2

THANKS!

Darryl, i wanted to add that the slippery physics was one of the things I hated about Ice Climber and Mario Bros. Being raised on Super Mario Brothers, I would often miss the platforms or crash into enemies when playing Ice Climber or Mario Bros. So for me, the PAL 1993 "Classic Serie" release is the definitive editon. It plays great on an NTSC NES (lockout needs to be disabled) and is easier to control so despite the speed up, I can get a lot futher in this version. If you search for it on eBay or elsewhere, be sure to take a detailed look at the cover.

This is the version you want:

http://nintendoage.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Element.View&pId=1&egID=1418&lgID=5489&sID=2127

B67254DD-B855-A728-2A65F74179DB6105.jpg

And the crappy version you don't want, essentially identical gameplay to the NTSC release:

http://nintendoage.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Element.View&pId=1&egID=1418&lgID=5091&sID=1994

B6478111-FB46-1534-28D3066DCDAC1CAD.jpg

If you decide to buy one, make sure you don't settle for a stock image as the versions may be easily confused by the shop owner. Agree to disagree on this one, but I and most other gamers probably consider the jump physics to be an improvement. I really don't see the reason why someone would deliberately hack in the old jump physics, even if it's more "arcade" accurate.

There's also a hack available that improves the graphics of this. One guy recently tried to produce a run of carts using it until the author barked about it. Here is the locked NA thread:

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&threadid=154510

IMO the enhanced graphics just look so wrong (ie fake "16-bit" styling) and nothing like the arcade original.

Thanks. Well, I can appreciate your preference of the no-slip.

For me, having seen it first in the arcade, I am a purist. That slip was what made it challenging, and it is what made it more exciting in a vs or team play.

That's pretty cool that they released it on cartridge.

Darryl, i wanted to add that the slippery physics was one of the things I hated about Ice Climber and Mario Bros. Being raised on Super Mario Brothers, I would often miss the platforms or crash into enemies when playing Ice Climber or Mario Bros. So for me, the PAL 1993 "Classic Serie" release is the definitive editon. It plays great on an NTSC NES (lockout needs to be disabled) and is easier to control so despite the speed up, I can get a lot futher in this version. If you search for it on eBay or elsewhere, be sure to take a detailed look at the cover.

This is the version you want:

http://nintendoage.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Element.View&pId=1&egID=1418&lgID=5489&sID=2127

B67254DD-B855-A728-2A65F74179DB6105.jpg

And the crappy version you don't want, essentially identical gameplay to the NTSC release:

http://nintendoage.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Element.View&pId=1&egID=1418&lgID=5091&sID=1994

B6478111-FB46-1534-28D3066DCDAC1CAD.jpg

If you decide to buy one, make sure you don't settle for a stock image as the versions may be easily confused by the shop owner. Agree to disagree on this one, but I and most other gamers probably consider the jump physics to be an improvement. I really don't see the reason why someone would deliberately hack in the old jump physics, even if it's more "arcade" accurate.

There's also a hack available that improves the graphics of this. One guy recently tried to produce a run of carts using it until the author barked about it. Here is the locked NA thread:

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&threadid=154510

IMO the enhanced graphics just look so wrong (ie fake "16-bit" styling) and nothing like the arcade original.