IGNORED

Wizard's Lair/Wizard's Revenge

InfernalKeith

I'm not that well versed in RPG's, on the TI or elsewhere, but I'm interested in learning. I found an original cassette of Wizard's Lair and was thinking about giving it some play time on the real iron this week. I thought there'd been a discussion of it in a long-ago thread, but a search turned up nothing. Have any of you played it, and would you consider it decent for an XB dungeon crawl?

The dwarf seems to be the biggest baddie, or maybe it was a goblin on level 2? I played a few times today and it's starting to blur.

A little frustrating trying to find enough healing and some weapons on a level. After a certain amount of time you're whisked to level 2 whether you've explored all of 1 or not. It resets your constitution, too, which seems weird.

On the first level, it's Faery, Elf and Dwarf in that order of difficulty...

Yeah, one tip is that you always explore as much of the level as you can. You need to get the best weapons and shields. Each time you descend a level, you get your constitution reset to a minimum of 10; if you have over 10 you'll keep it.

Also, always use T to detect for traps on EVERYTHING. Traps seriously debilitate you and it's especially not worth it on treasure chests. I'd just bypass treasure and go for items and magic.

Hmm... the code for the game is very compact and well-written. For each level there is a prescribed number of items, so the game is in fact NOT as random as you'd think. You will be able to find all the necessary spells and items to complete the game, if you are diligent about exploring and finding them...

I started to type out the exact items on each level but I desisted... why spoil the fun? :)

I don't know where I heard it, but I recall a rumor that Rainbow software was going to turn out a third game in the series. To be honest, I don't think Rainbow software turned out ANYTHING else on the TI... which is really too bad, because there was some talented programmers there.

Edited by adamantyr