IGNORED

HSC12 Round 18: Hobgoblin

Something new awaits....

Hobgoblin

hobgoblin_gr8_software.gifhobgoblin_gr8_software_4.gif

Classic platformer, tricky in places but a good game for us to try and complete :)

Seems to be ok on NTSC too. Top players (you know who you are) play with the default options, others may start with 5 or 7 lives press P to pause, then control-L to give yourself a few extras ;)

Fandal XEX

A must read is Confused Pelican info about the game from the author

8-bit software instructions & review

The GR8 Software website http://gr8.atari.pl doesn't seem to have any info - perhaps this is my browser?

Hobgoblin 2 Atari project: info

keyboard controls:
S - sound fx
M - music
P - pause
1, 2, 3 - speed
ESC - exit game

Scoring: standard HSC points based on highest screen reached - see Post 11 to work out where you reached!

For fun: we'll also check out Ghostly Goblins; atarimania has it as a demo but it might be worth some investigation? Turbo BASIC so XL/XE only ;)

Round ends Sunday 15th November 10am UK time

Edited by therealbountybob

Perhaps the number of chests or something is a better indicator if progress - don't worry about the scores just play and see how far we can get and perhaps there will be a better way of keeping track?

I thought I was doing well: 9,150 after a bunch of goes! I like that the game is more or less the same each time so you can learn each bit :)

post-19705-0-66098800-1446502265_thumb.jpg

I mapped the first 40 screens, apparently there's 60.

Great work McKong - ok now we can play for progress so highest screen reached - so please check and tell me everyone ;)

Bonus points for first person to complete the game!

I found I had to re-learn before making any progress tonights session but then I managed to get a lot further, really liking this game and you can now see if there are only 60 screens it needs to be challenging. 11,450 15,350 17,950 Screen 30

Hobgoblin reminds me of English Software's Kissin' Kousins, though that game makes this one look way easy!

kissin_kousins.png

post-3328-0-86283800-1446586903_thumb.png

screen 12

@trbb: maybe try Ghastly Night: http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-ghastly-night_29053.htmlhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5n04dthuM

If I remember - on real hardware it's work only with standard OS and standard SIO speed, maybe homesoft has patched versions?

Edited by Sikor
  • Like 1

Ghastly Night looks very interesting Sikor will check it out at the weekend along with Ghostly Goblins :thumbsup:

Season 12 Schedule

OK Guys, we will finish the season mid January so there are only a few rounds to go. As it's so close between McKong and myself I want to try and keep it fair:

Round 19 will be normal so 1 suggestion each for the poll (pick one form the games list or anything you wish to play)

then...

Round 20 will be the best game never played in the HSC so thinking caps on for that one

Round 21 will be a combined Season 12 catch-up and improve scores round, plus Christmas bonus if I can find something

Round 22 will be the season finale so we'll come up with something fun? Yes fun :-D

so think about round 19 now and let me know your game :)

Great job McKong :thumbsup: a couple of bonus points heading your way.

Screen 38 is my best so far :)

Hobgoblin 2,700
Ghostly Goblins 1,710

just played Ghostly Goblins - not bad, you end up keeping fire held as the swords are a bit slow. I reached the moving bridge bit, the game did go a bit screwy after a few goes. Turbo BASIC with machine code so you can list the program. Possibly has only 2 levels?

Ghostly Goblins 1pt for playing plus Bonus point for highest score :)

• Like 1

Ghostly Goblins. I always wanted a version of Ghosts and Goblins for the atari, careful what you wish for I spose!

I hope they didn't go to the trouble of coding more than the first level cos its so difficult!

It's "only" Turbo BASIC remember so pretty good effort

I improved my run, two lives remaining this time. A clean run is proving difficult

:thumbsup:

Ghastly Night (Sikor's link above) is also worth a play for a bonus point - not sure how complete the game is, but it looks and sounds great and plays fairly well once you get a decent weapon 980 would be much better with some sound effects but I think it is music only. Even though you lose your sword when you are naked (!) if you have the shooting weapon you keep it! Concealed weapon :-D

Ghastly Night looks very interesting Sikor will check it out at the weekend along with Ghostly Goblins :thumbsup:

Season 12 Schedule

OK Guys, we will finish the season mid January so there are only a few rounds to go. As it's so close between McKong and myself I want to try and keep it fair:

Round 19 will be normal so 1 suggestion each for the poll (pick one form the games list or anything you wish to play)

then...

Round 20 will be the best game never played in the HSC so thinking caps on for that one

Round 21 will be a combined Season 12 catch-up and improve scores round, plus Christmas bonus if I can find something

Round 22 will be the season finale so we'll come up with something fun? Yes fun :-D

so think about round 19 now and let me know your game :)

My suggestion for round 19 is Montezuma's revenge. Never played it but always thought it looked good

• Like 1

I improved my run, two lives remaining this time. A clean run is proving difficult

Spurred on by your effort I managed to complete the game - eventually... not too hard after all 20,450. Shame the clock doesn't stay on for the game (it's each life) else we could have used that for comparison. My best score was 22,850 but like you said it's not a useful measure of progress. Perhaps number of lives left?

post-19705-0-49110400-1446833008_thumb.jpg post-19705-0-50982200-1446833006_thumb.jpg

Good game but we need more... Hobgoblin II (see first post for link to the discussion) :)

First Tables

Based on screen reached. Please let me know which screen you reached - see post #11 for the map

1st McKong 60 (completed) 15pts#$*

1st trbb 60 (completed) 13pts#

3rd Sikor 12 10pts

4th SHiNjide 10? 9pts

5th roadrunner 5? 8pts

6th bluecat 3 7pts

--------------------------------------------------

Bonus points

$first to complete the game

#completing the game

*special bonus for posting the level maps

McKong Montezuma's Revenge

Sikor Caveblaster+

Latest Tables

Hobgoblin

Based on screen reached - see post #11 for the map ;)

If you complete the game the number of lives remaining will decide the places. (McKong let me know if you had more than 1 on any of your goes)

1st McKong 60 (completed 1) 15pts#$*

1st trbb 60 (completed 1) 13pts#

3rd SHiNjide 37 10pts

4th Sikor 13 9pts

5th roadrunner 9 8pts

6th bluecat 3 7pts

--------------------------------------------------

Bonus points

$first to complete the game

#completing the game

*special bonus for posting the level maps

Bonus Games (1pt for playing, +1pt for completing the games!)

Ghostly Goblins

trbb 4,840

Sikor 3,390

McKong 2,250

roadrunner 1,710

Ghastly Night

trbb 980

Sikor 360

roadrunner 70

:)

I also would love to play "Montezuma's Revenge." I've really only played it in passing. Most of that play-time that was on the 2600 version of the game. If "Montezuma's Revenge" revenge does win the poll, then which Atari 8-bit version would we play? I can't remember the exact differences, but the cart version from Parker Brothers was cut down to fit and it's missing quite a lot. The other version, which I don't think was actually released, is, I think, the original version. If I recall, the original version is much larger, more difficult (for instance, the ropes that you jump onto can have fire on them) and there is also an ending. Does anyone know the exact differences between these two versions?

I also would love to play "Montezuma's Revenge." I've really only played it in passing. Most of that play-time that was on the 2600 version of the game. If "Montezuma's Revenge" revenge does win the poll, then which Atari 8-bit version would we play? I can't remember the exact differences, but the cart version from Parker Brothers was cut down to fit and it's missing quite a lot. The other version, which I don't think was actually released, is, I think, the original version. If I recall, the original version is much larger, more difficult (for instance, the ropes that you jump onto can have fire on them) and there is also an ending. Does anyone know the exact differences between these two versions?

We need a BIG 5 games for the poll guys ;)

Checkout the lowdown on Monty in the HSC thread from last time we played: hsc-season-7-game-9-montezumas-revenge/

:)