IGNORED

Damn! The dudes running a TI-99/4A "CHOP SHOP"!

Omega-TI

I dunno. Spares are in very short supply. For example I would mind 10 to 15 bucks for a replacement keyboard. The cart connectors is also a good idea. Of course, if you're lucky then you pick up entire consoles quite cheap - but not so much in Europe. Also, if you're running a heavily moddded console (day you've removed the VDP team and fitted an F18A then repairing your existing system would be preferable to replacing it.

I just hope he doesn't chop *too* many consoles :-)

• Like 1

BC inda slaughterhouse :)

I "know" this seller for a long time, have ordered the one and the other years things from him.

I think he is a very good seller, and must have tons of stuff (there is a reason for that hint hint) :)

Regarding these tons of TI-stuff he seems to have, I would say "No Panic", this some slaughtered parts here

are looking like just the rest of defective machines or so, where a repair was not possible or to much work or so.

If you order parts there, you can see that it is all done with love (was my impression at least)

Almost forced to do this with Commodore and Amiga equipment myself. Sum of the parts are worth vastly more than the whole computer oft times! Working or not. :(

That AND people do not want to pay for shipping on heavier stuff or are too lazy to scavenge a given part out of machines themselves anymore. Guess if there wasn't a demand, people wouldn't be chop shopping this stuff. :)

• Like 1

yeah, believe me, in one day someboy will dig out 1000 NOS CIB brandnew 99/4A´s from a basement :)

(like happened to Zach), and if we have worked good here, in publishing really all infos&knowledge that exists,

in an easy-2-find and good-documented, open way, the TI & its legacy will live on forever

(with or without a basement-findings, with and w/o hardware :)

My biggest sorrow is that many people publish stuff on there "private" servers and accounts,

or make big private piles in their basements (or in their "brain-attics"),

means not sharing it all, and all this things and knowledge passes away with them

(maybe as relatives don´t know what it is, or THAT it is....)

I have seen so many servers and informations with that going down in the last decades, not only for our TI.

That made me sad, so that I am just grabbing down every server completely today, to have an offline backup.

But this is so much work and time, also as a download of something with one click here i.e. on AA is the one thing,

but a download from another site that needs a login, install a f*ck*ng download-client or whatever effort,

just to get a file, puuuuh. And I have to do that more that once in a year (!).

So I love AA here for that big easy to share & get files & informations, not to have these efforts & risks

to get files from this portal, from that, with this login, with that client, and whatever.

This is interesting and practicable for new things/DLs, that today´s people want to get today because they´re "h*rny" on that,

but this is not practicable for other people tomorrow....

also because it maybe does not exist anymore, or because links are broken,

username(-links) or passwords have changed, or the provider does not exist anymore or has been acquired.

So uploading and sharing i.e. here on AA is a fine thing, as this is a neutral service.

/bla-mode off/

...but so it is

:)

• Like 1

When I moved to Turkey back in the mid-nineties, every single keyboard had to be on the "Beyanname" (customs form) by serial number. You should have seen the face on the customs inspector as I told him I had 26 TI consoles in my baggage. He was even more confused by the PC I had built myself that had no serial number at all. I had to pull out an indelible marker and write a 0001 on it to appease him. . .

• Like 3

When I moved to Turkey back in the mid-nineties, every single keyboard had to be on the "Beyanname" (customs form) by serial number. You should have seen the face on the customs inspector as I told him I had 26 TI consoles in my baggage. He was even more confused by the PC I had built myself that had no serial number at all. I had to pull out an indelible marker and write a 0001 on it to appease him. . .

hahaha - I went through similar drama in the Philippines - though I was bringing in parts and building out a system there. Still have my place in Manila, with a very nice TI setup - now that I am spending much more time in the US am building one for use here. I don't think I'll ever be able to move any of the stuff in Manila out though - cash, stuff - when it comes to the Philippines it's pretty much a one way adventure. :)

• Like 2

just imagine you were travelling with Dyroff´s Hasenkäfig (RabbitCage) :)

His reaction to Sven's Hasenkäfig would have been priceless. . .he was having enough trouble with the PC, the 26 TI consoles, the three Tomy Tutors, and my Mattel Aquarius. . .not to mention PEBs, monitors, and the three large boxes of circuit cards to fill those PEBs with TI goodness. He just couldn't fathom anyone needing more than ONE computer. . .

• Like 2

I have three black & silver units, myself (my son has one as well). It doesn't hurt to have a few for parts, especially if you're saving them from being recycled/thrown out. I may have to to pick up a few more off of fleabay, if the price is right... ;)

That story made my day. Now that we actually met in person, I can imagine your "evil" smile towards him even better. I guess this guy still has nightmares of that moment.

Thanks for that Ksarul.

Somehow I managed to end up with quite a few consoles (15 or so), mostly donated from a collector who was "cleaning up" a little bit. Apparently what he sent me was only a fraction of what he had. Anyway, the condition of some of the consoles was unbelievable to me. Some came from schools and such where they had used a hot-knife to etch serial numbers into the case, many have bashed keyboards, scrapes and scares like someone turned the console upside-down and slid it across the floor, etc. I will have to break down most of them, figure out what works, and part them out at some point.

The point is, the photos above seem perfectly reasonable to me. Lucky for you that the seller has hidden the horrors that the donors probably went through.