IGNORED

Who will be the next hardware maker to exit the market?

Rick Dangerous

Who will be the next hardware manufacturer to exit?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next hardware maker to exit the business?

• Microsoft
    • Nintendo
    • Sony

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

The cheap x86 Atom-based Windows tablets are amazing for what they are, and they're pretty thrifty with battery. Not that I care about CPU architecture, so long as everything works.

I don't have any Atom stuff. I know my x4 AMD laptop gets pretty hot. Is there an atom CPU that could compare with say Xbone/PS4?

I don't have any Atom stuff. I know my x4 AMD laptop gets pretty hot. Is there an atom CPU that could compare with say Xbone/PS4?

Not yet, but what's out there now can already run many Xb360/PS3 era PC games (Skyrim, for example) at low resolution, and older games (Half Life 2, Star Wars Battlefront II) at full detail without problems -- and without a fan or lots of heat on late 2013 hardware. I have no doubt we will get there eventually, possibly soon.

I am not surprised if it is true that only 5% of developers are working on a Wii U game, but only 1% are working on an NX game? This is IGN reporting though...

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/01/29/only-5-of-developers-working-on-a-wii-u-game-survey-says

IGN reporting on a Game Developers Conference survey ...not really indicative of much other than the obvious openness of the PC platform. We already know that the best developers for Nintendo work closely with them, and they'd be the least likely to give up any preliminary information about the new platform.

With all it has going for it, it's strange how the PC isn't the prohibitive front runner, and that there are any proprietary consoles left! :-P

Honestly Nintendo has been doing wrong things since the Nintendo 64. If they didn't have rareware or their big franchises Mario and Zelda getting their definitive 3D games, they would've EASILY fallen below Sega right off the bat. Their 3rd party support really went ker-splat with the 64, and the Gamecube's first party titles weren't that great honestly. Sony doesn't look like they're going anywhere though, they had the best game consoles of the fifth and sixth generations in my opinion.

Microsoft however, I dunno. Not likely going to stay for another generation.

I am not surprised if it is true that only 5% of developers are working on a Wii U game, but only 1% are working on an NX game? This is IGN reporting though...

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/01/29/only-5-of-developers-working-on-a-wii-u-game-survey-says

Is that conference an american thing or a japan thing? The people who actually attended it mean more than the percentage itself imo.

As even if most developers in north america or europe aren't making games for nintendo consoles (And with how far nintendo goes to alienate third parties I wouldn't blame'em) if there's a lot of devs in japan still developing for it, then nintendo can always export those games to the other markets.

and the Gamecube's first party titles weren't that great honestly.

Sooo... Luigi's Mansion, Mario Sunshine, Mario Kart Double Dash, Smash Bros Melee, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Mario Party 4, 5, 6, and 7, Mario Superstar Baseball, Mario Super Strikers, Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour, Mario DDR, Wario World, LoZ: WindWaker, LoZ: Four Swords Adventures, LoZ: Twilight Princess, Pikmin 1 & 2, Metroid Prime 1 & 2, Kirby Air Ride, Donkey Konga, Donkey Konga 2, Donkey Konga: Jungle Beat, Star Fox Adventures, Star Fox Assault, and probably a metric ton of other titles I'm forgetting offhand, weren't fun??? :ponder:

Sooo... Luigi's Mansion, Mario Sunshine, Mario Kart Double Dash, Smash Bros Melee, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Mario Party 4, 5, 6, and 7, Mario Superstar Baseball, Mario Super Strikers, Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour, Mario DDR, Wario World, LoZ: WindWaker, LoZ: Four Swords Adventures, LoZ: Twilight Princess, Pikmin 1 & 2, Metroid Prime 1 & 2, Kirby Air Ride, Donkey Konga, Donkey Konga 2, Donkey Konga: Jungle Beat, Star Fox Adventures, Star Fox Assault, and probably a metric ton of other titles I'm forgetting offhand, weren't fun??? :ponder:

Relative to the rest of their stuff, I'd agree. Mario Sunshine wasn't up to much, and and the Starfox games (designed by others) were just ass.

Zelda Windwaker was gorgeous, F-Zero GX was amazing, and I still like the Factor 5 Star Wars games on Cube.

Most of the franchise stuff was transitional and improved upon in sequels. This is one reason I can't get too excited about Saturn or Dreamcast anymore...most of it's been done elsewhere, better nowadays.

While I think they did a fine job with the GameCube and I love games such as Wind Waker and Super Mario Sunshine, I still felt like most of their lineup including both of those were steps backwards in one way or another. Some weren't even close, with Wave Race standing out as a perfect example of a sequel that didn't understand what made the original so special.

Only F-Zero GX and perhaps Rogue Squadron 2 stand out as Nintendo published titles that I felt improved upon their N64 predecessors, yet neither was even developed in-house. Even the beloved Paper Mario sequel felt like a step backwards to me since the music isn't as appealing and I wasn't crazy about the dialogue. And I've never bought a Super Smash Brothers title so I have no opinion on that particular one, but most fans seemed to feel it improved here so I'll give it a nod.

Nintendo published GCN content was at its best for me when it came to creating new franchises (Pikmin), one-off original titles (Eternal Darkness sadly can't be considered a franchise), sequels to titles that skipped a generation (Metroid Prime), and spin-offs (I really enjoyed Luigi's Mansion).

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Relative to the rest of their stuff, I'd agree. Mario Sunshine wasn't up to much, and and the Starfox games (designed by others) were just ass.

Sunshine was awesome. Just because it had a different mechanic with FLUDD pack (sort of like throwing enemies in SMB2) doesn't mean it isn't deservedly part of the Mario cannon. Also the only instance I know of voice acting in a Mario game. The cut scenes were gold in that game.

Even the beloved Paper Mario sequel felt like a step backwards to me since the music isn't as appealing and I wasn't crazy about the dialogue.

Thousand Year Door took everything that made the original awesome and expanded upon it, making it deeper and better. I'm currently doing a second playthrough from scratch after ten years.

• 3 weeks later...

As of right now, I'd have to say Nintendo. Don't get me wrong, even though I haven't owned a Nintendo console in years, I really appreciate what they are trying to bring to the industry and some of the most innovative pieces of hardware came from that company. That said, the Wii U was a failure for them and they are already working on a successor, so it's only a matter of time before they start sharing more details about it. The problem with Nintendo is that, unlike Sony or Microsoft, it doesn't focus on making TVs or operating system, so if its consoles fail miserably, that's pretty much it. I'm really looking forward to see the console Nintendo unveils next and I really hope it succeeds.

As of right now, I'd have to say Nintendo. Don't get me wrong, even though I haven't owned a Nintendo console in years, I really appreciate what they are trying to bring to the industry and some of the most innovative pieces of hardware came from that company. That said, the Wii U was a failure for them and they are already working on a successor, so it's only a matter of time before they start sharing more details about it. The problem with Nintendo is that, unlike Sony or Microsoft, it doesn't focus on making TVs or operating system, so if its consoles fail miserably, that's pretty much it. I'm really looking forward to see the console Nintendo unveils next and I really hope it succeeds.

NX will blow your mind! ;-)

I would keep my NX expectations down to earth. There's less potential for disappointment that way. Besides, while new hardware is fun, it's the software that counts.

I'm never ready for new hardware. I'm always behind on stuff I've been playing for the previous system. I've had my New 3DS for close to a year now. I really should sit out the new thing and have fun with what I already have.

I would keep my NX expectations down to earth. There's less potential for disappointment that way. Besides, while new hardware is fun, it's the software that counts.

I'm never ready for new hardware. I'm always behind on stuff I've been playing for the previous system. I've had my New 3DS for close to a year now. I really should sit out the new thing and have fun with what I already have.

I think I'm right there with you and will sit this one out. The games for the 3DS are vast, and should keep me busy for years to come.

There's so much speculation about what that console's going to be (I can't remember the number of times I've heard about the "home console/portable hybrid") that I can't wait until Nintendo finally unveils it. I don't know if the company provided a rough date for a potential reveal, but I hope it happens soon.

e3 2016 for the big reveal. Possible Fall 2016 - Spring 2017 release.

e3 2016 for the big reveal. Possible Fall 2016 - Spring 2017 release.

The E3 2016 reveal is a lock, so, with that in mind, they all but have to release at least some of the components of the NX this year, which would most likely mean by November. If they didn't do that, they'd be unnecessarily damaging potential sales of the 3DS and Wii U without any benefit in return. So yeah, June and November are the best bets.

The E3 2016 reveal is a lock, so, with that in mind, they all but have to release at least some of the components of the NX this year, which would most likely mean by November. If they didn't do that, they'd be unnecessarily damaging potential sales of the 3DS and Wii U without any benefit in return. So yeah, June and November are the best bets.

That said, if there needs to be a bit of a delay to get things right, I am fine with that. I am not sure there is a bunch of wiggle room for any miscues.

How to people feel about the potential for a hybrid.... it sound like the possibility of a handheld that can dock with a station for play in the big screen. The big issue is trying to fit in something powerful enough with heat being an issue. People are going to expect this to at least meet the specs of the PS4 and XBox One. Maybe current ARM chips are closer to that now. Wild speculation... what could they do with innards that are similar to an iPad Pro (the small screen size of a handheld would reduce the cost of course....). Not saying it has to be that, but didn't that score better on some test than most lower end laptops and held it's own against the mid range. My memory may be faulty here.

I wish Sony had done something similar with the Vita.... have a docking station. The PSTV wasn't a terrible idea, but not well executed. The hybrid solution is tricky. This is the kind of mistake that Nintendo cannot afford.

Or would we be happier with something more traditional as a console. I am kind torn between the two. Innovation is okay, but I'd rather not see a WTF moment.

Hey... at least we can speculate on something that will exist and come to market unlike elsewhere ;)

Edited for clarification

Edited by cybercylon
  • Like 1

if Nintendo plays it safe, they'll go with a console to replace the Wii U. If they want to take a chance (and this depends on if they think they can financially risk it), then they'll probably do a hybrid. If it were me, I would just do a console and keep support for the 3DS going a while longer, then announce a new portable, throwing in apps for mobile devices. At this point I'm really not sure WHAT Nintendo is going to do, or how they're going to approach a new console/portable/hybrid idea.

Nintendo is dying, the only question is whethe the console market itself will die before the company does. Ah well, for everything there's a season.

127 years is a long ass "season" lol. Like Nintendo or not, saying they're going to exist and disappear like any other company is downright comical. The bad years with the Wii u were the first they had any year where they didn't post profit since they started making gaming hardware. How many years have Sony and the Xbox division had yearly losses? A lot more than that...

Don't get me wrong. Nintendo has a LOT to improve. But again, love em or hate em ...they're not going anywhere. Especially since Nintendo has inserted themselves in countless new markets over the years, and continue to do so. If gaming did "die", they'd survive.

And gaming isn't going anywhere. It may change forms. Genres will come and go in popularity. But I guarantee you Nintendo will always be able to insert themselves into whatever it develops to be in the future. After all, of the big three, they at least take some chances. They are the least likely to follow in someone else's footsteps when it comes to new concepts in gaming.

Edited by MotoRacer
  • Like 1

If that's the case, this year's E3 is going to be pretty interesting. That said, I wonder what they'll show. Is it going to be a hardware reveal? Tech demos? Proper games? I haven't been keeping track of Nintendo news in a while.

Hardware and some games. The latter is likely because developers have had dev kits for quite a while. Whether that hardware is just the handheld component or both components, remains to be seen.