IGNORED

What is your favorite console generation?

2nd Gen for sure. It's where most of the gameplay mechanics in all the later generations come from, and I would argue had the most ingenuity. The vectrex is probably my favorite console of all time, followed very closely by the 2600, intellivision, and colecovision. Also you have the 8bit Atari computers ( not really used much for anything in the home besides gaming I would bet).

Edited by adamchevy

And us new hats call it gen 2.5. Somebody miscalculated when the whole gen counting became a thing.

More like they don't consider dedcated consoles to be a true gen or look at the intermediate releases by Atari and Coleco as not being a significant generational step up.

Edited by empsolo

I never ran into the gen counting much before coming here so I'm not sure how they all number down and just push 'I believe' reading the above posts. I also wasn't really a functioning human being before the NES stormed the US.

1. N64/PlayStation/Saturn N64 games me loads of multiplayer fun and PlayStation just had so many great RPGs. I also didn't have a job yet, so that was even better.

2. SNES/Genesis/??? ->JRPGs. mmmm.

3. Dreamcast//GCN/PS2/Xbox -> I really enjoyed the online gaming creep into the console space. As of this gen 3D games look good enough to me.

4. NES/SMS/??? -> I find it's aged really well. I only really played the Mario games when it was new, though.

5. Current -> In a good place in life to enjoy it, although so far I don't like the XBone much I have some faith.

6. 360/PS3 -> way too much going on in life to sink into last gen very well. I recognize it's quality but I never engaged it much.

5. Current -> In a good place in life to enjoy it, although so far I don't like the XBone much I have some faith.

Wii-U is obviously the funnest console this gen, even if it is losing the arms race. Sorry you are dissatisfied with Xbox. Sony/MS have the flashiest ads though. There's still far more worth playing on the PS3/360 consoles. Two cents.

Wii-U is obviously the funnest console this gen, even if it is losing the arms race. Sorry you are dissatisfied with Xbox. Sony/MS have the flashiest ads though. There's still far more worth playing on the PS3/360 consoles. Two cents.

For me the Wii U stands apart, I'm not even sure why. When I typed that up I didn't think about it. It's probably one of my favorite consoles period. It also may be the last thing worth collecting on.

• Like 2

8) Pong Generation

7) Jaguar/Nintendo 64/Playstation/Saturn Generation

6) Atari 5200/ColecoVision/Vectrex Generation

5) Dreamcast/Gamecube/PS2/XBox Generation

4) PS3/Wii/Xbox 360 Generation

3) Neo Geo/Sega Genesis/SNES/TurboGrafx-16 Generation

2) Atari 2600/Intellivision Generation

1) Atari 7800/NES/SMS Generation

Too soon for me to place the PS4/Wii U/XBox One Generation properly.

Totally enjoy the Wii U. I don't understand a lot of the hate for it.I enjoy a lot of the games. Mario and Luigi U of course is just like the classics playing in 2D, DK Tropical Freeze is a great game and a must have for fans of the DK Country series plus great graphical details, NES Remix is a great twist to those that grew up with the NES want to play mini games of the classics, Super Mario Maker gives you the chance to customize and let you take control of programming your own stages and playing them, plus many others like Super Mario 3D World, and Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker both I haven't played but love too. I am not willing to go for the PS4 and Xbox One due to all the constant system updates and the library hasen't really impressed me so far.

• Like 1

Totally enjoy the Wii U. I don't understand a lot of the hate for it.I enjoy a lot of the games. Mario and Luigi U of course is just like the classics playing in 2D, DK Tropical Freeze is a great game and a must have for fans of the DK Country series plus great graphical details, NES Remix is a great twist to those that grew up with the NES want to play mini games of the classics, Super Mario Maker gives you the chance to customize and let you take control of programming your own stages and playing them, plus many others like Super Mario 3D World, and Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker both I haven't played but love too. I am not willing to go for the PS4 and Xbox One due to all the constant system updates and the library hasen't really impressed me so far.

The biggest complaint i've seen revolvig around the Wii U is that it is underpowered for a next-gen console and has an expensive gamepad. Which has scared off devs from porting thier big titles to a Nintendo console. The other thing I have seen, is that a lot of 3D Mario fans complained heavily that 3d World isn't a true 3d game on the level of say Galaxy. Also Zelda U's delays....

The biggest complaint i've seen revolvig around the Wii U is that it is underpowered for a next-gen console and has an expensive gamepad. Which has scared off devs from porting thier big titles to a Nintendo console. The other thing I have seen, is that a lot of 3D Mario fans complained heavily that 3d World isn't a true 3d game on the level of say Galaxy. Also Zelda U's delays....

Whoever talks shit about Super Mario 3D World deserves to be drug out into the street and shot.

• Like 2

I don't care about "generations." I like the Atari VCS, Sega Genesis, and Nintendo 64 best. I'm tickled that emulation is as good as it is but wish N64 emulation were more complete.

I'm also aware that many of the best examples of these genres are being reborn on mobile devices, which is awesome. If you like retro games but don't like stuff like Crossy Road and Pac-Man 256, I just don't understand you.

I played the 3 first Levels of Mario U and found it kinda mediocre. Yeah it has a bunch of nice ideas, but it's shallow and casual, so it gets boring.Maybe by the time I'm in the midfdle of the game it will get better... But I liked what I played from shovel Knight more....

I mean, you named half a dozen games there. That isn't worth a purchase of the System. To be sincere, I don't care the graphics on the System are weak. But if they are only going to have a dozen games on the platform they better be amazing. So far the ones I tried just aren't, so it's hard to justify. I do think Xbox One and PS4 are even worse, but for fanboys who like to Play CoD 91872356 it's great. Too bad, as far as I've seen, for the fanboys who like playing Mario 293586 the WiiU is great. For someone keeping up with time, and with the past, and expecting something new and good to justify thje asking Price this new gen is just garbage. Just get a crap PC and it's way better. Just get a console from some other Generation and it#s probably going to be better. And cheaper. So yeah. WiiU isn't as bad as PS4 and X-bone. Too bad that's not saying much at all.

• 7 years later...

I know that this is an older thread.  But, throwing my two cents into the discussion, I will say that my favorite console generation is the 4th (SNES, Genesis, TG-16, and Neo Geo).  Each one was a really good to great console, had their own distinct graphics and sounds (for the most part), and also had some really inventive and (at times) risque advertising for the time.  Plus, my personal favorite console of all time is the Sega Genesis / Mega Drive.  I have poured so many hours into the games on that console.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hwlngmad said:

know that this is an older thread

It's a fun topic that's still relevant. And I have to agree the adverts I used to see every month in GamePro sold me on the Neo Geo during that time. Though I to wait many years to actually get one. But all around the 4th is my favorite gen too and I've still been working through their libraries of titles to this day.

• Thanks 1