IGNORED

Floppy not working.. how to fix or replace?

eebuckeye

I have an external floppy that quit working. I cleaned the head and it still does not load. I verified the disks with a PEB and they load fine.

Is there anything else I can try to get this drive working? If not what kind of drive do I need to replace it? I need to make sure it has the same external connector for my cable to plug in.

Thank you!

post-25646-0-54791500-1447570989_thumb.jpg

post-25646-0-74584600-1447570990_thumb.jpg

Hi,

hmm nice housing. Do you have some infos on the drive ? Manufacturer and Type-# maybe ? (for the list )

Maybe - if you have used a cleaning-floppydisk "only", you could clean it again with a cotton swap

and some alcohol ? (I don´t mean Whiskey as a mitigation for you) :)

This helped me once, on very dirty heads.

(But I see the housing is open, so maybe you already gave this a try.....)

Another possibility is the cable or the external connector on the Floppy-conroller, as these are others

than you´ve used on your positive test as described, with the PEB-inside-drives.

Last but not least, maybe the terminator/resistor-pack on one of you other internal drives is "broken",

(normally, the drive at the end of the internal floppycable) and accidential lets your external drive suffer...

Maybe a try with your external drive here, single attached, could be good

good luck

• Like 1

The drive says 'Copal' on it but I wonder if I can swap out another drive in the housing? Could it be any 5.25 drive?

Unfortunately cleaning is not helping me anymore. The drive spins up like it should when being accessed but it just does not pull any data from any disk (which are verified to work with my standard PEB). I do not have an internal drive with this system.. this external drive is used with a Corcomp 9900.

yes, this should be the way. ...

One question is about this old resistors´ condition.....

And, to get sure about all, best way could be just to check the drives manual (exact drivetype/name?)

and maybe wait a little bit here for more comments on this resistor-pack.

And you are right, it is a bit weird that it worked all the years, without resistor......and now you should set the resistor to work ?

But I had more then one of such strange experiences, and the best way is to try it :)

hmmmm, life is sometimes strange. but technic is almost strange :)

maybe the "resistance" on the controller-side got a bit weak or "tired",

no longer working without the originally needed once on the drives side.

...but, if you don't ask, I don't have to lie to you. :0)

vive la resistance

• Like 3