IGNORED

Floppy Days Podcast #49 on the TI-99/4A Computer!

rkindig

Floppy Days Episode 49

The TI-99/4A - History, Interview with Jim Fetzner and Mark Wills

In the home computer timeline, I’m currently covering computers released in the era from 1979 to 1980. Next up is the TI-99/4A. When I went to research the TI-99 I found an incredible amount of information about the machine and an involved, vibrant community surrounding it. As a result, I pulled in as many experts as I could find to be involved in providing information about this very interesting machine. I got so much involvement, and found so much information, that I will be covering the TI-99 for the next several shows. That will include the typical topics, such as history, tech specs, modern upgrades, emulation, Web sites and much more, as well as interviews with some TI luminaries. As I typically like to cover the history of the machine first, that will be the topic of the first couple of shows. For the history segment, I was lucky enough to find a couple of people who have an incredible history with the TI-99, Jim Fetzner and Mark Wills. Jim has an extensive, multilingual library of all things TI and possesses some very interesting hardware items related to the TI-99, as you will hear. Mark is the author of TurboForth for the TI-99/4A and has been involved in the TI-99/4A scene pretty much since 1983. He’s also English, living in the UK, so he has a rather British take on the home computer wars. Since the interview piece I typically do with the co-hosts before covering the main topic took so long and turned out to be so interesting in it’s own right, I decided to break out the interview into its own show and the next show will then cover just the TI-99 history with the help of these two gentlemen.

• Like 11

It would still officially be a one day event - we don't want to tread on Hal's toes - he does a great job and the Chicago show deserves the support of everybody. A second day, if it comes off, would be an unofficial get together either in someones hotel room or a small conference room or something, and basically be a hack-fest where we can all just geek out, talk TI, show projects, get help for projects, etc. For folks who have travel a long way (like me) a two day event is more attractive.

• Like 4

This couldn't have come at a better time... My budding interest in the 99/4a coupled with a long drive for work yesterday. Listened to it twice. Great stuff, looking forward to more.

It was also the first episode of Floppy Days I've heard. Need to go back and catch up. Love the theme song!

• Like 3

This couldn't have come at a better time... My budding interest in the 99/4a coupled with a long drive for work yesterday. Listened to it twice. Great stuff, looking forward to more.

It was also the first episode of Floppy Days I've heard. Need to go back and catch up. Love the theme song!

Hey, that's a GREAT idea! I downloaded it and put it on a USB stick for my car's MP3 player. I'll listen to it on my way to work today.

post-35324-0-82976700-1447945824_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Great listening to you three.. looking forward to the next 9 episodes of TI info :)

Well, I don't know about nine :) There are 3 additional shows planned, plus a bonus TI-99 themed interview. In fact, #50 is out now, which is the second-parter on the show with Jim and Mark.

Thanks for the very kind words, all!!

Randy