IGNORED

Newbie Questions

hizzy

I guess I took a different path. Originally, I sought out a 5200 set up and found a guy on craiglist selling a "bunch of atari stuff" which included a 7800 and a 5200. I think I bought the entire lot he had for $120 or less (included a ton of games and controllers including the 5200 track ball!). After plugging in the 7800 and playing a few old school 2600 games on it, I tried some 7800 games and was impressed.

If the goal is to have the faux wood console to take you back to your childhood, I get that. However, the 7800 offers all the 2600 games and more.

• Like 1

It's true that people sometimes overvalue atari games on kijiji. That's where I found the 500.00 console. Many are asking north of 100.00 for a console with no games. I have my eye on what looks to be a light sixer with 21 games. With some luck, I should get that for less than 75.00. :)

Just as an aside: The guy who was trying to sell me a new atari in box just told me he'd drop his price from 500.00 to 350.00 :P

Sometimes these overpriced sellers are funny- awhile ago when I was upgrading my Sega CD collection to CIB, I offered a guy $15 for Sherlock Holmes, but he wanted $30. I countered with $20 (which was a bit more than I wanted to spend, but his copy was especially minty so I thought it's be OK)... he wasn't having it. Not a big deal, he's allowed to charge what he wants.

About 6 weeks later, I get a message saying he'll take the $20. I thank him for the offer, but decline on account of having bought a copy for $15 literally an hour after he turned me down. :grin:

Sometimes these overpriced sellers are funny- awhile ago when I was upgrading my Sega CD collection to CIB, I offered a guy $15 for Sherlock Holmes, but he wanted $30. I countered with $20 (which was a bit more than I wanted to spend, but his copy was especially minty so I thought it's be OK)... he wasn't having it. Not a big deal, he's allowed to charge what he wants.

About 6 weeks later, I get a message saying he'll take the $20. I thank him for the offer, but decline on account of having bought a copy for $15 literally an hour after he turned me down. :grin:

This is looking to be similar to my situation :P

Edited by hizzy

The 500.00 console guy just asked me what my best offer on the never used, still in OG box atari would be. What would you pay for a never used "vader"?

Thanks for all of the advice! You've all been a great help!

Depends on the shape of the unit. Do you have any pictures, or are you just taking his word for it?

I never played a 7800 game, but I am open to trying it out.

Keep in mind that both the 5200 and the 7800 received only very limited distribution in Canada, and so your chances of finding one "in the wild" are extremely low.

I have been haunting thrift shops since the early-1990s in several provinces, and I have yet to see either one!

Sears store-brand consoles are cartridges are also more rare than in the United States, but they sometimes turn-up.